Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I did look at them...I do not think they are applied evenly though, as Hulk vs superior speed/agility IS pretty common...it doesn't work as well as it "ought". Lanterns/power ring users (or Dr Strange auto shields) failing aren't low end/rare feats, they are as common or more common than high end ones; although I'll not press it, it's not worth any rancor on my end.
    People without any superior speed/agility to speak of hit the Hulk all the time. Relentlessly. Does that mean he's being jobbed out when that happens? Why do you feel "the Hulk vs superior speed/agility is pretty common" and thus should mean he can hit whoever, but the Hulk getting hit all the time with people with no such thing to speak of isn't a comment on the Hulk himself having no such thing? You want to talk about the Hulk doing some speedy bit of thing, but that leaves out that by your standards, every time the Hulk gets hit by anything should make that meaningless.

Or: "it happens in comics a bunch so it counts" is not much of an argument for anything if you want to have arguments about these things any deeper than "whatever the writer would want to happen, will happen." It mostly just leads to asking why it is you feel this one thing that happens a lot means something, but this other thing that happens a lot means nothing.

I mean these are fictional characters, there is nothing they cannot do, if a story wants them to do it, and there's nothing they can do, if a story wants them not to do it. If you want to pretend you can talk about "what should likely happen" you need to set some kind of standards beyond "the comics I like count". These are the standards we use, other places use other standards, but you have to have something, or it's basically just, say, a guy saying

Hulk has speed feats likely in excess of any of them, catching & hurling back artillery shells,
    Then for some reason saying

it will be hard for me to take the comics out of it though
    You mean the comics where the Hulk has been hit at one time or another by almost anything and anyone you might name? Why should I care about the Hulk's speed feats by the standard of "the comics"?

I mean.. you're expressing some solid contempt here

Boring as hell, but i got it.
    But it most reads like dissatisfaction at that the "feats" you want to count don't count like you want them to. The problem at the moment is that your standards for them are super contradictory. You want to be able to compare people's speeds like they're a thing that exists when it seems to suit you, but then you want to say "but in the comics this wouldn't matter".

Your argument against most things at this point seems to be "but this situation happens more often", which, okay, by that logic the Hulk has no valid speed feats then, if you want to be consistent.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 01-12-2020 at 08:20 PM.