Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    Has she been shown to absorb pure energy?
    I don't think so, and I don't think she's ever been able to absorb energy from a device, either. The source has to be biological.

Amazing Member

X-men win

power rings appear greatly over-rated; I know what they are supposed to be & all that, but their users can & do get punked often and shockingly easily. There are too many X-men there; there is basically no chance for a comic book fight to go Sinestro's way vs a big team like that, or at least not past a "round 1". He losses, sooner or later.

"Auto-shields" my arse. That's just plot armor, it works or fails on a whim. Yes, I know power ring users have them, and so does Dr Strange & others. So they do not die when slapped by Hulk or Superman unexpected...but still fall prey to a frying pan to the back of the head JUST as often.
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 01-10-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenghisDon View Post
    X-men win

power rings appear greatly over-rated; I know what they are supposed to be & all that, but their users can & do get punked often and shockingly easily. There are too many X-men there; there is basically no chance for a comic book fight to go Sinestro's way vs a big team like that, or at least not past a "round 1". He losses, sooner or later.

"Auto-shields" my arse. That's just plot armor, it works or fails on a whim. Yes, I know power ring users have them, and so does Dr Strange & others. So they do not die when slapped by Hulk or Superman unexpected...but still fall prey to a frying pan to the back of the head JUST as often.
    And the Flash gets hit by normal humans all the time. A certain amount of ignoring powers is a basic thing to make plots go.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I don't think so, and I don't think she's ever been able to absorb energy from a device, either. The source has to be biological.
    yep

If she has, it's relatively recently. She cannot absorb powers like the ring's at all, that I know of (but my rogue knowledge mostly ends about a decade ago).

She could absorb energy if she stole a power that does that, or similar power sets from another.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    And the Flash gets hit by normal humans all the time. A certain amount of ignoring powers is a basic thing to make plots go.
    Indeed. I've been informed that is not how these forum battles work however, so my bad.

If everything about Sinestro/power rings works as the "manufacturer claims the product can do", the X-men are in trouble vs him just being in a bubble & messing with them. No telepathy allowed certainly doesn't help either (This is a telekinetic psylocke version perhaps?). I'm not an expert on lantern force fields blocking telekinesis or teleportation, or even a micro weather effect inside one; but I suspect this might end up being a case where the best chance is if rogue steals allies powers and forces the issue combining teleportation with additional durability & skills. I dunno, although my gut still says team X-men.
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 01-10-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

At the bell, Sinestro's goes shield up and fires a wide area blast. Most of the X folks are not invulnerable types. Their flesh disappears in the blast. Then turn to the rest. Hal could shoot out antimatter. Not to many folks can take that.

The thing is, even if you ignore autoshields, this just becomes a quick draw because Sinestro can obviously make shields. Both sides have ways of just blowing everything up, so so it isn't much of a match either way.

Composite X-men via Rogue wins, Hilariously Rogue can Aoe absorb powers now if I remember correctly (and I think she still has Wonder Man powerset). So Rogue either absorbs Sinestro lifeforce at a distance or absorb her whole team powers at the beginning. The Shields doesn't really save him Wonder Man(or composite absorb strength of colossus+wonder man & TK) should be in the power class to break a Lantern shield, I mean She was hitting Hulk and Juggernaut hard enough to send them flying back a decent distance in Uncanny Avengers with just Wonder Man strength. Rogue with some combo of powers wins this fight and she has history of taking a bunch of powers and fighting.

A interesting question is can Nightcrawler teleport into Sinestro shields, Which makes the fight simply Rogue teleporting inside of Sinestro .
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-12-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Composite X-men via Rogue wins, Hilariously Rogue can Aoe absorb powers now if I remember correctly (and I think she still has Wonder Man powerset). So Rogue either absorbs Sinestro lifeforce at a distance or absorb her whole team powers at the beginning. The Shields doesn't really save him Wonder Man(or composite absorb strength of colossus+wonder man & TK) should be in the power class to break a Lantern shield, I mean She was hitting Hulk and Juggernaut hard enough to send them flying back a decent distance in Uncanny Avengers with just Wonder Man strength. Rogue with some combo of powers wins this fight and she has history of taking a bunch of powers and fighting.

A interesting question is can Nightcrawler teleport into Sinestro shields, Which makes the fight simply Rogue teleporting inside of Sinestro .
    No, they are not breaking through his shields. Especially when it's reinforced. It can tank planet busting levels of force. And I'm pretty sure the ring prevents people from teleporting inside shields. Sinestro can also turn himself intangible so right there is a big obstacle for the X-Men to counter.

Amazing Member

Why not? tanking planet busting forces is NOT the typical power ring performance. They are advertised as such, but rarely do. Whether or not Rogue has Wonderman, a mega powerhouse, is a good question however. I'd assume not, or else it ought have been mentioned.

various powers bypass a ring shield is exactly the sort of thing comic writers would have happen to make it a fight, too. Whether they ought, whether they should, or whether they would are ll valid to explore.

I was curious why Kitty Pryde wasn't with the X-people just to get phasing on-board.

Why not? tanking planet busting forces is NOT the typical power ring performance. They are advertised as such, but rarely do. Whether or not Rogue has Wonderman, a mega powerhouse, is a good question however. I'd assume not, or else it ought have been mentioned.

various powers bypass a ring shield is exactly the sort of thing comic writers would have happen to make it a fight, too. Whether they ought, whether they should, or whether they would are ll valid to explore.

I was curious why Kitty Pryde wasn't with the X-people just to get phasing on-board.
    That's not how this board works. We don't treat it like how a comic would. We go by high end feats consistent with presentation of the character. Low end feats are usually disregarded as PIS (Plot Induced Stupidity). There are a few rules you need to familiarize yourself with and its stickied at the top of the board. Check it out.

On Rumbles we use a characters "High-end feats consistent with presentation".

Obviously Lantern comics only seldom involve planet destroying forces and they have totally been hurt by MUCH weaker forces. Buuut the presentation of said characters is even as you admit "advertised as such" (presentation) that such feats within their careers are valid showings.

This has limits of course. I dont have exact numbers and it's all up for discussion of course, but let's say they only muck around with planet busting forces or stars in like... 1/10 comics. The other 9 are lower end showings/comics. Around here we are cool with counting those 1/10 because of the rules for high end presentation stuff. If however a feat is a BIG outlier and they perform stuff of its nature only like... 1/100 showings, we toss it out as well.

For example: Kyle Rayner had a handful of feats for moon moving, planet busting, supernova surviving, planet reconstruction and other stuff around that scale in Post Crisis era. That was enough for us to establish him around that general range.

He ALSO had a feat against Imperiex where he solo contained a Big Bang level explosion. We toss that RIGHT out as an outlier. The other stuff is consistent enough to fit for his high end presentation.

Hope this helps!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Sinestro has also specifically tanked a planet exploding under him, for what that is worth. He's pretty high end as far as Lanterns go. And being a villain has less appearances and low showings to take away from it

Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I think a "pre-buffed" fight would be the most interesting. Have Rogue start out with all her teammate's powers. Individually most of the X-Men just get killed in mass frag and the few survivors are easy to clean up. If she has Wonderman's powers too, she should have the durability to not instantly die. Wonderman is generally* not tough enough to hang with Sinestro for raw power, but with the healing powers of the other mutants Rogue can probably hang in there.

*Simon is one of those dudes who gets powered up and down all the time, and I have no idea what level Rogue snagged from him. I'm assuming it is his usual diet coke class 100 status.

Has Rogue used Iceman's powers in recent years? How did she do with them? His powerset varies so drastically based on the competence of whoever is driving, so I'm not sure if she can go full blown Ice God. Also, how has Nightcrawler performed against force fields? Has he ever bypassed Magneto's, for example?

Sinestro has a lot of tricks he can employ. One solid tactic is shell gaming himself with various constructs that look just like him, potentially while he's actually just invisible. So it can actually get pretty interesting. (Prebuffing also sort of shuts down the autoshields argument, as he can obviously just make shields.

It would also make a good comic to read when bloodlust isn't a factor. Sinestro is in many ways a more potent Magneto. There would be a lot of him floating around with his arms folded and not taking the X-Men seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I think a "pre-buffed" fight would be the most interesting. Have Rogue start out with all her teammate's powers. Individually most of the X-Men just get killed in mass frag and the few survivors are easy to clean up. If she has Wonderman's powers too, she should have the durability to not instantly die. Wonderman is generally* not tough enough to hang with Sinestro for raw power, but with the healing powers of the other mutants Rogue can probably hang in there.

*Simon is one of those dudes who gets powered up and down all the time, and I have no idea what level Rogue snagged from him. I'm assuming it is his usual diet coke class 100 status.

Has Rogue used Iceman's powers in recent years? How did she do with them? His powerset varies so drastically based on the competence of whoever is driving, so I'm not sure if she can go full blown Ice God. Also, how has Nightcrawler performed against force fields? Has he ever bypassed Magneto's, for example?

Sinestro has a lot of tricks he can employ. One solid tactic is shell gaming himself with various constructs that look just like him, potentially while he's actually just invisible. So it can actually get pretty interesting. (Prebuffing also sort of shuts down the autoshields argument, as he can obviously just make shields.

It would also make a good comic to read when bloodlust isn't a factor. Sinestro is in many ways a more potent Magneto. There would be a lot of him floating around with his arms folded and not taking the X-Men seriously.
    Rogue with Simon’s powers, Wolvie’s healing, Ice-God Bobby’s regen plus a Jean Grey TK shield is probably into the territory where Sinestro has to really work to hurt her. I’m not sure what she can actually do to hurt him either, but... bleh.

Of course this tactic wouldn’t do a damn thing to Sinestro, but this pre-charged Rogue brings up a wonderful image in my head of Rogue using Gambit’s powers to charge up Logan as an explosive, clawed, Adamantium dart and then throwing him with significantly-better-than-Colossus strength as an incendiary fastball special. I would legit like to see that actually happen.
    Last edited by Beadle; 01-12-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Grammar pedantry.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    That's not how this board works. We don't treat it like how a comic would. We go by high end feats consistent with presentation of the character. Low end feats are usually disregarded as PIS (Plot Induced Stupidity). There are a few rules you need to familiarize yourself with and its stickied at the top of the board. Check it out.
    I did look at them...I do not think they are applied evenly though, as Hulk vs superior speed/agility IS pretty common...it doesn't work as well as it "ought". Lanterns/power ring users (or Dr Strange auto shields) failing aren't low end/rare feats, they are as common or more common than high end ones; although I'll not press it, it's not worth any rancor on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    On Rumbles we use a characters "High-end feats consistent with presentation".

Obviously Lantern comics only seldom involve planet destroying forces and they have totally been hurt by MUCH weaker forces. Buuut the presentation of said characters is even as you admit "advertised as such" (presentation) that such feats within their careers are valid showings.

This has limits of course. I dont have exact numbers and it's all up for discussion of course, but let's say they only muck around with planet busting forces or stars in like... 1/10 comics. The other 9 are lower end showings/comics. Around here we are cool with counting those 1/10 because of the rules for high end presentation stuff. If however a feat is a BIG outlier and they perform stuff of its nature only like... 1/100 showings, we toss it out as well.

For example: Kyle Rayner had a handful of feats for moon moving, planet busting, supernova surviving, planet reconstruction and other stuff around that scale in Post Crisis era. That was enough for us to establish him around that general range.

He ALSO had a feat against Imperiex where he solo contained a Big Bang level explosion. We toss that RIGHT out as an outlier. The other stuff is consistent enough to fit for his high end presentation.

Hope this helps!
    It does...and it doesn't. Power rings are described WAY stronger than they are SHOWN to be. Indeed, I admit, or rather, note that. Keeping 1/10 is fine, but ignoring 5/10 ain't so great.

In any case, my opinion stands as it was, which wasn't too solid. Or put another way "an interpretation of forum rules" doesn't sway my opinion in the least, although it might be the way things are... here.
    "For example: Kyle Rayner had a handful of feats for moon moving, planet busting, supernova surviving, planet reconstruction and other stuff around that scale in Post Crisis era. That was enough for us to establish him around that general range. "
    works much better for me, I suppose. I still do not see how it negates Kyle getting drubbed my folks nowhere near that level of power, but meh. I'll skip such battles as pointless for me to comment on.

(several) High showings=always wins here, got it. Boring as hell, but i got it. (I still would prefer PROOF on the field immunity to indirect powers such as teleportation, telekinesis, telepathy, and so on, though...although it probably exists here & there)

question: i see few links to pages here...is that a rule in a section I missed? can we link comic book pages?
    Last edited by GenghisDon; 01-12-2020 at 08:06 PM.