Default The Laboratory of Violence: Doctor Nemesis Appreciation Thread

Because for some reason, there wasn't one already. What are you people even doing argh.

Age: 107 years old at time of writing (D.O.B. December 1st 1906)
    Height: 5'11" without hat
    Weight: 170lbs also without hat
    Eyes: Artificial
    Hair: Just For Men™

POWERS: Self-evolved intellect made subject a polymath genius overnight, with a wide range of intuitive knowledge covering nearly all known flavours of SCIENCE, and a level of blinding arrogance far beyond human understanding. Subsequently altered own biology to incorporate penetrative multi-spectrum vision, reduced aging and enhanced immune system. Theoretical 'idiotsense' warns subject of encroaching stupidity.

SKILLS: Above-average marksmanship with signature hypodermic-syringe-gun, surprisingly strong right hook, accomplished shark rider

WEAKNESSES: Caffeine

AFFILIATION: Utopia (former), X-Club (former?), X-Force (current)

Share your love for the good doctor below, and maybe he won't inflict poleshift on your digestive system.
    Last edited by CraigTheCylon; 08-11-2014 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Fixed power set.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

So is he a mutant?
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    So is he a mutant?
    Yes. His mutation is SCIENCE.

More accurately, his mutation is superior intelligence. There's a very long story behind his origins; suffice to say his mutant status is a retcon, and he's only officially been part of the X-verse since...I don't know what year but it wasn't long after Decimation.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for starting the thread CraigtheCylon. I've been meaning to, but never got around to it...I love Dr Nemesis. Definitely in my top ten.

His mutation is a "self evolved intellect" whatever that means. He has also manipulated his eyeballs to have improved perception, and has had a greatly increased lifespan through science.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    James Nicola Bradley is actually a very old character and was introduced in Ace comics as a super scientist who co invented the first human torch, and fought crime in the subways. He changed to being a villain, (Dr Death) for a period and for very misguided reasons aided the German cause in WW II. Later repentant he went back to crime fighting, before moving to the Amazon and hunting down Nazis. At this point he dropped out of publication history for decades.

He was brought to the X-Men by Fraction in one of the bright spots of that run, and as you said retconned as a mutant.
    This is his introductory scene, (I love him threatening to spay cat Beast). Classic Nemesis.
    image.jpg

More to come when I have time.
    "Self has no time for this."

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I want to see him fighting Mr Sinister or the High Evolutionary With Science.

I thnk his mutant power of having different visions (telescopic vision, infrared vision, x-ray vision, thermal vision) is very cool

NP Sea Hound - I could think of no finer subject for my first official thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    I want to see him fighting Mr Sinister or the High Evolutionary With Science.
    That would be pretty sweet. Nemesis to date has been something of a mercenary; it'd be cool to pair him up with a villain which he might actually take personally. Evil Science seems like the most obvious solution (and it's not like we're drowning in good Sinister stories...).

Of course, I say Nemesis doesn't have a specific villain...if you asked him, he'd probably cite this as an example:
    docandforge2.jpg

Oh yeah, and I just noticed his power list is incomplete. I forgot his Idiotsense.
    docidiotsense.jpg

More pic love.

Firstly, the Doctor outlines his beliefs. (from Fraction's run - don't know specific issue, anyone?)

Next, Nemesis having a tender moment with Dr. Rao. (from X-Club #5, written by Si Spurrier, arted by Paul Davidson)

And lastly for today, a fun bit of fan art depicting Nemesis and Forge in their Cable & X-Force outfits, via Deviouslyratedm on Deviantart.

Should we add "idiot sense" to his list of powers?

image.jpg

Anyone have a favourite writer for Nemesis? Mine is Spurrier by a mile; although Fraction, Asmus, Gillen, and Hopeless all had their moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Should we add "idiot sense" to his list of powers?
    Thought about it a few posts back - I'm counting this as a second vote, and primary post is duly updated.

And yeah, Spurrier is by far my favourite Nemesis writer. He's very prone to going OTT with his narration and dialogue in every book he does, Marvel or otherwise, but with Nemesis it feels like an organic extension of the character; he loves being center of attention and making everyone else feel stupid, so of course he's going to fill all available space with his blathering and insert as many made-up, impressive-sounding words as possible.

Hopeless' Nemesis always seemed very restrained by comparison, though the way he interacted with the rest of X-Force rang true, especially the constant belittling of Forge. And I'm still just now working my way through most of Nemesis' Utopia tenure, so I've not got as much material to compare, though the Fraction stuff seems promising, and his brief appearances in the KYost X-Force run give him a disquieting fatalistic edge that's kinda intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Thought about it a few posts back - I'm counting this as a second vote, and primary post is duly updated.

And yeah, Spurrier is by far my favourite Nemesis writer. He's very prone to going OTT with his narration and dialogue in every book he does, Marvel or otherwise, but with Nemesis it feels like an organic extension of the character; he loves being center of attention and making everyone else feel stupid, so of course he's going to fill all available space with his blathering and insert as many made-up, impressive-sounding words as possible.

Hopeless' Nemesis always seemed very restrained by comparison, though the way he interacted with the rest of X-Force rang true, especially the constant belittling of Forge. And I'm still just now working my way through most of Nemesis' Utopia tenure, so I've not got as much material to compare, though the Fraction stuff seems promising, and his brief appearances in the KYost X-Force run give him a disquieting fatalistic edge that's kinda intriguing.
    Nicely put. Spurrier is very much from the "more is more" school of writing, and I agree, it works brilliantly for Nemesis. If I was to float a very small criticism about him, (and he's one of my favourite writers) it's that sometimes he could put a few less words on the page.

I'm loving his X-Force though. Here's another nice Nemesis moment, where the vulnerability peeks past the bombastic facade.

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    I'm loving his X-Force though. Here's another nice Nemesis moment, where the vulnerability peeks past the bombastic facade.

image.jpg
    Spurrier's X-Force has been great so far, and yes, that is a great touch. It's probably the most important distinction between Spurrier's Nemesis and everyone else's; the notion that the fearless smart alec adventurer is just his way of covering up his fear. The effect is more noticable in the X-Club mini, thanks to the infamous telepathic starfish providing a counterpoint to whatever Nemesis is actually saying:
    docnemesisfractaldisaster.jpg

That page is also one of my personal favourite Nemesis moments ever. Solving an impossible scientific deathtrap through logical theory and overwhelming arrogance. Perfect.

Today's update: Doctor Nemesis invites Magneto to behold all of the f***s he gives...
    docnemesismagneto.jpg

...and takes down Captain America under his Doctor Death moniker during that 90s Invaders series where he was a Nazi.
    docnemesisvscap.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Today's update: Doctor Nemesis invites Magneto to behold all of the f***s he gives...
    docnemesismagneto.jpg

...and takes down Captain America under his Doctor Death moniker during that 90s Invaders series where he was a Nazi.
    docnemesisvscap.jpg
    This thread deserves a bump. Hope Bradley pops up again post-SW. He NEEDS a solo series; make it a medical mystery drama, like House but with superheroes.