Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Who is your favourite female DC character and why?

I’ll start with mine first…

Lady Shiva – What’s not to like? She came up with Bronze Tiger and Richard Dragon (2 of my all time favourite Martial Arts characters) is the mother of the 2nd Batgirl/Cassandra Cain, has 2 good longstanding rivalries going on with 2 other female characters (Black Canary and Katana) and can make the “Almighty Batgod” her biatch whenever she feels like it.

Yours?
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-04-2020 at 05:19 AM.

Mine tend to be either the normal heroes with no powers or the mystical types.

So Black Canary, Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Lady Shiva, Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol), Vixen and Barbara Gordon.

Ultimate Member

Outside of the Legion, it's Vixen. (Although I also like Icemaiden, Nightshade, Element Woman, Black Canary and Hawkwoman, among others, like Danette Reilly/Firebrand, who I just remembered!)

Including the Legion, it's Shadow Lass. (Second place some combination of Phantom Girl, Duplicate Girl, Sensor Girl and Dream Girl.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-04-2020 at 05:42 AM.

Retired

Seriously Sugar Plumm. She and Spike Wilson were the first DC characters I knew of from the comics (I knew of Superman but as a shared cultural myth). I could not have had a better lesson in understanding humanity. Sugar could be bad, she could be good. She expressed her love for Spike in inappropriate ways. And she was never made to appear less than a male--she was always the equal to any other and often better.

After Sugar, it's a tie between Lois Lane, Sue Dibny and Nura Nal. Lois because she was a strong independent woman and her stories were often hilarious. Sue because she was a realistic spouse, who could challenge her husband, yet also expressed her love and desire for him. And Nura Nal because she was the Dream Girl that every man wanted and every woman feared--but she wasn't just a sex symbol, she was highly intelligent and foresaw the dangers that lay ahead--and she stuck by Thom Kallor when everyone else had rejected him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Outside of the Legion, it's Vixen. (Although I also like Icemaiden, Nightshade, Element Woman, Black Canary and Hawkwoman, among others.)

Including the Legion, it's Shadow Lass. (Second place some combination of Phantom Girl, Duplicate Girl, Sensor Girl and Dream Girl.)
    Any particular reason why you are drawn to these certain female characters? Just for discussion purposes. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Seriously Sugar Plumm. She and Spike Wilson were the first DC characters I knew of from the comics (I knew of Superman but as a shared cultural myth). I could not have had a better lesson in understanding humanity. Sugar could be bad, she could be good. She expressed her love for Spike in inappropriate ways. And she was never made to appear less than a male--she was always the equal to any other and often better.

After Sugar, it's a tie between Lois Lane, Sue Dibny and Nura Nal. Lois because she was a strong independent woman and her stories were often hilarious. Sue because she was a realistic spouse, who could challenge her husband, yet also expressed her love and desire for him. And Nura Nal because she was the Dream Girl that every man wanted and every woman feared--but she wasn't just a sex symbol, she was highly intelligent and foresaw the dangers that lay ahead--and she stuck by Thom Kallor when everyone else had rejected him.
    Great response, Jim. Thoughtful as always.

Keep them coming people!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Any particular reason why you are drawn to these certain female characters? Just for discussion purposes. ..
    Not that I can tell. They don't have a ton in common. Some are tough street-fighter types, able to throw down in hand to hand, like Black Canary and most of the Legion ladies, but others, like Icemaiden and Nightshade (and Firebrand, and Firehawk, and Green Fury, whom I've just remembered), are more 'blastery.' Some have fierce bold attitudes, but, again, others (like Icemaiden, but also Duplicate Girl and Phantom Girl) are just 'nice' and not at all 'alpha females.' Some are diverse (Vixen, Element Woman), others, not so much. It is funny that the only blonde in my list of present-day century heroes is Black Canary, and she's wearing a wig, and not a real blonde...

Obviously they are all smoking hot, but it's comics, pretty much everyone is smoking hot, including most of the men.

I do generally prefer more original non-legacy characters, like Vixen and Black Canary, compared to Superchicks and Batfemmes and Lady Lanterns, but obviously I'm not even consistent with *that* since I like Element Woman (Miss Metamorpho), Hawkwoman (She-Hawkman), Firebrand and Firehawk, who are the female legacies of Firebrand-dude, and Firestorm.

Courntey Whitmore- Stargirl

One of the few characters we got to see grow and mature under Geoff Johns. Her first run was a fun teenage, coming of age, story and then we got to see her truly become a hero in the pages of JSA. I also appreciate that she is continuing the Knight family legacy.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Judging by the amount of books I own for each character, it looks like Catwoman and Wonder Woman. With Cat, there’s potential for a wide variety of stories. Heists, crime, noir, street level superheroics, femme fatale, intrigue. For WW, I dunno. Under some writers I love her. Under others, I couldn’t care less about her. When the writers revere her too much I lose interest. But she’s dragged through the mud a little, I relate more. Being a human and all, I relate to characters with dirt under the fingernails so to speak.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

It's odd on actual reflection I truthfully can't point to a single female character within DC and call her my fave.

There definitely takes on female characters I've really enjoyed under certain writers but unlike their male counterparts (or at least not to the same radical extent) there personality and overall character tends to shift much more noticeably from one writer to the next.

I've read a lot of Supergirl last year and compared to Clark Kara's characterization is everywhere.

It leaves me in weird postion where most of the ones who would be at the top of my list are those long since forgotten and stuck in limbo simply because them being unused for so long means there aren't several opposing versions of them warring in my head.

Roxy Leech she first presented to us as a shallow waste of a young women and well aware of it and seems comfortable to stay in that position. But steadily throughout her story Roxy surprises both herself and us by being so much more that what she originally thought of herself.

Cissie King Jones she has remarkable sense of self awareness and insight about her while never being presented as pretentious that always made her a joy to read. Whenever something was going on I always wanted to hear Cissie's perspective on things as it usually always made me consider it from a different angle.

Linda Danvers just from the expierence of the journey you go on with her both the high, the lows, the laughs, the tears, the wonderful, the weird and everything inbetween. Also the panel where she cusses-out God (who in the body of a 10 year old) only for him to get ticked off when she starts getting too handsy and smacks her into the horizon is still one funniest things I've ever read.
    Last edited by walk; 01-04-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Mera, Queen of Atlantis. She's one of my favorite characters in any media, tbh.

She's powerful and strong willed, kind and caring. She gets hot headed easily and will fight to the death for the ones she loves. She is a fair and just leader. Plus, hydrokentics are just rad.

In a world of anachronistic status quo defenders, she isn't afraid to break a few eggs to make an omelette. To make the world better for the people she cares for/is in charge of.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-04-2020 at 09:41 AM.

I’d probably have to say Powergirl, mainly for my love of the JSA and Earth 2 where she had a lot of good stories that I’ve read in both her pre and post crisis appearances. If not her then it would be Stargirl for pretty much the exact same reason of the JSA.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Power Girl. She's smart and powerful but flawed. She can be too headstrong and aggressive at times, she has a short fuse, famously, and an ironclad moral code. All the powers of Superman or Supergirl, but very little of the settled backstory and origin story that they have, meaning she's more of a blank slate as far as what a good writer can do with her. And she's the black sheep of the Superman Family in a way; she's always the odd one out.

Since DC has quite a few great female characters, there are more I like, but PG's my favorite.

Boisterously Confused

Wonder Woman. The OG of superheroines (to use the old term). Easily on par with Superman, but with vulnerabilities that make her adventures far more interesting and heroic to me.

My runner up is Hawkwoman (Silver/Bronze Age Shayera Thal). She's the first superheroine that I can recall who wasn't made less for the benefit of her male partner. Yet still, the Hawks were allowed a stable, loving marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Power Girl. She's smart and powerful but flawed. She can be too headstrong and aggressive at times, she has a short fuse, famously, and an ironclad moral code. All the powers of Superman or Supergirl, but very little of the settled backstory and origin story that they have, meaning she's more of a blank slate as far as what a good writer can do with her. And she's the black sheep of the Superman Family in a way; she's always the odd one out.

Since DC has quite a few great female characters, there are more I like, but PG's my favorite.
    Also, ‘dem tiddies.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith