Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    Marvel's current run of Star Wars has been hit or miss for me. The first volume of Star Wars lost me after about nine issues or so, and I took a pass on this current one. I liked the last volume of Darth Vader, but Doctor Aphra's book has been up and down with me.

I think for me it's an issue of scope. Since Marvel reacquired the license, there really haven't been many books set outside of the timeframe of the movies, and I think that was what appealed to me the most with Star Wars comics. 40 years ago, no one knew where things were going after The Empire Strikes Back, and it was kind of exciting, but now it feels like it's all just connecting the dots to me.

I think the majority of Disney's Star Wars comics have been hit or miss. That said, I read a slight bit of the Dark Horse-era Star Wars comics, and didn't care for them.

The problem with the Disney-era Star Wars comics is an inherent flaw in the entire concept. They have to play it safe so nothing conflicts with film canon, and, resultingly, it feels like you don't really get any revelatory material. We've gotten a slight bit of good stuff, but not much.

I thought Aaron's run had bits & pieces that were good. My favorite was probably Dengar vs Chewie, while Sana Starros was an interesting addition......When Gillen took over, I didn't think his work was all that much better than Aaron's, but it was far more consistent. I liked complete storylines with Gillen, which was a rarity with Aaron.

As for the Vader comics, I preferred the Soule run. Fun concept, cool new jedi characters, but the execution left a little to be desired. That first jedi was a badass (Kirak), and he wiped the floor with Vader, but the resolution of the fight felt cheap. That wasn't the only time the comic felt that way, it's like Soule, for the most part, had quality concept ideas on the characters and knew how to build up the fight, but he'd go for weak endings. Not all of them, but enough for me to make that complaint.

Doctor Aphra had some fun elements, but I often found the comic got a little too silly, be it with the actual storylines or the characterizations. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Then there were the various Star Wars one-shots. Some were OK, but, for the most part, we didn't really get anything out of them. Just dull short-stories when there should've been a lot more.

Thing is, even with the restraints on doing a Star Wars title, there are plenty of ideas which can be made. It essentially feels like the creative teams are holding back.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 03-06-2020 at 11:05 PM.

I think the Gillen run did better at connecting the dots from ANH (and also Rogue One) to ESB than Pak's final issues which mainly seemed to go off on their own tangent.

Seems the current run is also bringing in a bit more sequel trilogy links in as well-the whereabouts of Luke's "Anakin" lightsaber, Poe's parents etc....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the Gillen run did better at connecting the dots from ANH (and also Rogue One) to ESB than Pak's final issues which mainly seemed to go off on their own tangent.
    Exactly. Gillen bringing in Benthic and watching him interact with Luke was great, and he was far better at the Han/Leia dynamic than Aaron was. Gillen was able to play around with the tapestry and bring some of it together, while Aaron's more of an action guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems the current run is also bringing in a bit more sequel trilogy links in as well-the whereabouts of Luke's "Anakin" lightsaber, Poe's parents etc....

I haven't checked it out yet. Does it seem like it's worth it for me to get into, or is it too early to tell?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Exactly. Gillen bringing in Benthic and watching him interact with Luke was great, and he was far better at the Han/Leia dynamic than Aaron was. Gillen was able to play around with the tapestry and bring some of it together, while Aaron's more of an action guy.

I haven't checked it out yet. Does it seem like it's worth it for me to get into, or is it too early to tell?
    I've liked what I've seen a lot so far, they're nailing Lando's character and the exploration of how Luke comes to terms with learning Vader is his father has been good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Yeah, the level of bickering and pettiness Aaron wrote them with was a bit much. Gillen actually wrote them like adults and with some solid progression to where they end up by Empire.

I'm really digging the relaunch of the main Star Wars title. Granted we're only 3 issues in, but I'm enjoying the story, especially since it takes place just after ESB ended.

I thought the initial Vader comic was okay, but I'll be grabbing that in TPB instead of monthly floppies.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Bounty Hunters book, which launches this week. I hope there are some classic bounty hunters in there to build up some hype and momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveismyhero View Post
    I thought the initial Vader comic was okay, but I'll be grabbing that in TPB instead of monthly floppies.
    The first one (between ANH and ESB), the second (between the trilogies), or the current one (between ESB and ROTJ)?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)