Page 17 of 79 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I don't think it was supposed to be funny. It was supposed to be an expression of Peter's darkest fears and doubts drawn out by Nightmare.
    Yes, I get that. I didn't mean "funny" in the sense of "Ha Ha", but more like... I don't know... "Bitter Irony". What "MJ" was technically true, but as fan of MJ and Peter, this is not something I would like to think about.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Yes, I get that. I didn't mean "funny" in the sense of "Ha Ha", but more like... I don't know... "Bitter Irony". What "MJ" was technically true, but as fan of MJ and Peter, this is not something I would like to think about.
    I can agree with that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

issue 6 was great im going to miss carlos gomez and this issue took MJ to a new place. lets see how that goes exciting

It was fun, though it felt like, at least just for this issue, that there was a bit too much going on at once so it felt a bit jumbled to me.

spoilers:
    MJ going on the talk show/game show, the real Cage McKnight showing up, a dude in an Oni mask suddenly trying to kill MJ, her having to skip out on her and Peter's dinner date to report this to the police, Peter trying to figure out what's up, and then suddenly being dropped in Montana as a form of "witness protection."
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It was fun, though it felt like, at least just for this issue, that there was a bit too much going on at once so it felt a bit jumbled to me.

spoilers:
    MJ going on the talk show/game show, the real Cage McKnight showing up, a dude in an Oni mask suddenly trying to kill MJ, her having to skip out on her and Peter's dinner date to report this to the police, Peter trying to figure out what's up, and then suddenly being dropped in Montana as a form of "witness protection."
    end of spoilers
    This issue to me had a good plot. The real guy showing up in a promo is a neat concept. And it's kind of cool that MJ gets to be the one in Peter's shoes (i.e. ditching a date with him because she had to solve a crime).

I think it's a little rushed, it definitely feels it shows that Leah Williams suddenly got an extension from the original 5-6 issues to a full 10, and she had to find a way to pad out what would have been the finale of her series. Obviously the original plan would have had this issue feature Peter and MJ's reunion. So this is a slight extension of it to make that moment feel bigger.

And also the first issue with MJ's thought captions in, which to me feels off. I guess she was able to work with MJ in an ensemble during a movie production but now she's got MJ by herself...yeah, it feels off.

Issue #6 thoughts:

spoilers:
    What a bait and switch. You thought MJ was back in New York? Now she's out of the state! You thought she was being reunited with Peter? She pulled one of his moves .

Is the second artist supposed to be who's taking over for Carlos Gomez? If so...while the art is fine, it just pales in comparison to Gomez's pencils .

I liked that they showed MJ having a reasonable reaction to witnessing a Supervillain committing murder. She acts like an experienced, courageous, civilian who believably freaks out but still tries to help by getting people out of there and reporting the crime, rather then actually take down the dangerous bad guy who might be above her weight class (Cough) Savage Six (Cough). I mean, she'll probably end up beating this guy anyways, but I liked that we got a more realistic reaction here.

It is kind of refreshing seeing MJ flipping the dynamic between her and Peter where she unwillingly ends up ditching him because she had to do the right thing.

Man, they sure lucked out that McKnight seems to be such a ditz and MJ can darn spin anything. Maybe they'll actually be able to launch this movie without it being leaked that Mysterio was behind everything? Of course, nothing is that easy.

I'm guessing MJ was planning to tell Peter about Mysterio over dinner. Now I'm expecting it's going to get drawn out until it comes out at the worst possible time. Possibly when it gets leaked to the general public and before Mary Jane could explain it to Peter?

I wonder what was up with that woman standing around a police station in a black bra and panties. Couldn't they at least give her a towel?

I love how MJ has Peter as "Tiger" in her Call List. Like, I don't know if it's ever come up before, but of course that is how she would list him in her contacts .

We get more of people recognizing MJ, from the Taxi Cab driver to a detective (and his daughter is a fan too).

So is that Oni-guy going to stalk Peter thinking it will lead him to MJ, not knowing it's Spider-Man?

"I'd rather not arrest one of my daughter's favorite actresses as a material witness." Hopefully that's the closest MJ gets to a brush with the law at this point.

I guess the "Sheriff MJ" cover was more accurate then we expected, what with her ending up in Montana with nothing but a mini-dress and high-heeled boots.
    end of spoilers

Smile

Following a protracted hiatus, chapter forty-one is posted of my "What If OMD Never Happened?" story (thank you Covid-19 outbreak ) Another Strand in the Great Web -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1281972...-The-Great-Web

If so inclined, enjoy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

I find it interesting in this issue that MJ had stood up Peter due to a situation that was out of her control and sense of doing whats right for a change rather than Peter always doing that to her. lol the shoe is on the other foot.

AMAZING MARY JANE #9

LEAH WILLIAMS (W), ZE CARLOS (A), COVER BY PAULO SIQUEIRA

* There are snakes and serpents everywhere in Anaconda, Montana, some you'll recognize, and some hide in the shadows.

* If a battle can be won with positivity and force of will, you know Mary Jane Watson is up to the challenge!

* But what if someone comes packing a grudge and some literal--futuristic--firepower?

32 pages, $3.99.

If you want to see more from Gomez, I hope you like Miss America! Because he's the artist on America Chavez: Made in the USA.

AMERICA CHAVEZ: MADE IN THE USA #1 (OF 5)
    KALINDA VAZQUEZ (W) • CARLOS GÓMEZ (A)
    Cover by SARA PICHELLI
    WHO IS AMERICA?
    America Chavez is incredible – her origins, her strength, her dimension-shattering star portals! But when the foundation of everything she believes is shaken, America will stand up and face the parts of herself she's been running from. From writer Kalinda Vazquez (Marvel's Runaways) and artist Carlos Gomez (Amazing Mary Jane) comes an explosive, brand-new story all about what made America Chavez who she is – and what she'll do to protect the ones she loves.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Creepy!

I know Morbius is the main topic, but all things considered, maybe they shouldn't promote it so much.

AMAZING MARY JANE #9

LEAH WILLIAMS (W), ZE CARLOS (A), COVER BY PAULO SIQUEIRA

* There are snakes and serpents everywhere in Anaconda, Montana, some you'll recognize, and some hide in the shadows.

* If a battle can be won with positivity and force of will, you know Mary Jane Watson is up to the challenge!

* But what if someone comes packing a grudge and some literal--futuristic--firepower?

32 pages, $3.99.
    I wonder how much false advertising Spider-Man on these covers is.

I've looked up Ze Carlos' art. He's solid, but he's no Carlos Gomez. Hopefully he delivers good work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If you want to see more from Gomez, I hope you like Miss America! Because he's the artist on America Chavez: Made in the USA.

AMERICA CHAVEZ: MADE IN THE USA #1 (OF 5)
    KALINDA VAZQUEZ (W) • CARLOS GÓMEZ (A)
    Cover by SARA PICHELLI
    WHO IS AMERICA?
    America Chavez is incredible – her origins, her strength, her dimension-shattering star portals! But when the foundation of everything she believes is shaken, America will stand up and face the parts of herself she's been running from. From writer Kalinda Vazquez (Marvel's Runaways) and artist Carlos Gomez (Amazing Mary Jane) comes an explosive, brand-new story all about what made America Chavez who she is – and what she'll do to protect the ones she loves.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    This book lucked out.

Wow. Need Vamp MJ as an alternate universe character now.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wow. Need Vamp MJ as an alternate universe character now.
    A Universe where where all the woman in Peter's life are transformed into Hollywood classic monsters

MJ: Vampire During her youth in the 50's-60's made a bad call when a young vampire ask her if she would like to remain young, carefree, and a beautiful never to fear aging. She agree thinking the person was joking but then was transformed into a vampire. She stake the vampire that want her to be his wife and since then found herself unable to connect to purposely connect one as question would surely raise and forced to travel all the time never able to set roots anywhere. She loves being young and carefree but lies to herself that she is happy and not lonely. By chance she met Peter Parker whom seem like a cool guy making her stay a bit longer in NEw York then planed in in turn found herself against her own judgment connecting to others like Gwen Stacy, Harry, and other people Peter introduced her to.
    Wanting to be with Peter and her new friends that made her stop feeling lonely she desires to end her curse and grow old with her new friends.

Gwen Stacy: Frankenstein's Monster (or this Case Jackel's Monster) and/or Ghost. Well it seems that for many Gwen Stacys of the Multiverse she never could catch a break. For this Gwen she showed signs of being either a great scientist or maybe a great detective like her father. In fact her skills at becoming one of the best detectives was shown when she discovered both MJ and Peter's secrets but showed her heart in keeping them safe knowing them as a person beforehand. One day Gwen and MJ was having a girls night out while peter was busy in Canada shopping as they picked out outfits for each other and went to a one day only roadside carnival at Coney Island. There a fortune teller called Madame Web lured the two in. Madam Web saw that the two would be legendary heroes yet also was confused and disturbed by the two. Madame Web shake it off telling the girls that 'Dark is not evil'. Despite saying they would perform great deeds Madame Web also casually mentioned that the outfit MJ had selected for Gwen brought nothing but a link to death for Gwen Stacys. This prediction seemed to spooked MJ more then Gwen having personal experience with actual cryptic arts.

Gwen seeing how spooked MJ (who was rarely spooked by anything thus strange for Gwen to see MJ so worried for her) was told that Gwen might want to possibly burn the outfit. Gwen being proud and fearless wanted to show MJ there was not such thing as predestiny and set her mind at ease. So Gwen went to a booth to put on the outfit that night...Green long sleeve jacket, Purple skirt, and striped green and black top, and heeled boots.
    (One Day Later) Many moaned her death but one being not just mourned but lusted for her insanely. He was the Jackal and he was going to bring her back with science and need be the rising tales of mystic dark arts. He dug up her grave the very night she was placed in the dirt and kept her body under stick conditions to preserve her. Many of his experiments ended in failure and a blackout caused a few parts of gwen to decay. Desperate he went forth to a dark mage that promised he could bring back gwen's spirit and link it to a new Body. The Jackal didn't want a new body but decided he had to make due. Chopping up a freshly female made spider, symbiote, and deadpool cloned hoping the healing abilities and strength would pass on and the dna of the Symbiote would bind her together like crude stitches and assist with the dark ritual of science and magic The Jackal brought Gwen's spirit back placed in a pieced together body of mostly her own but also part spider and healing abilities and boats of hallucinations and stuppors. Part Ghost,Spider,and mashups of beings Gwen defied the Mad Doctor and escaped.

Black Cat: WereCat. I'm cutting this one short due to time but Felicia didn't become a thief in the night at first on purpure. When she was curse as reaction against her father to slowly transformed into a WereCat at night the only thing that kept it at bay was silver in her blood. Felicia had to go for collecting treasures one way or another of silver to of all things melt it and put into her blood stem. Usually that would be a death wish but the curse would react and attack the silver but doing so leave Felicia to remain human for a time at night. But in time the more Felicca became the Black Cat that more she liked it. Only downside was losing her wits if she transformed to far.

I really enjoy that art work. I've seen MJ look like a Vamp before and other characters as vampires but what i like in particular for this artwork is simuler to the Gwen covers made by Peach I love seeing artwork that are made or at least appears to be made physically.

What really makes this work is that many vampire tales are not just old fashioned but for art history the part water/oil painting look adds to the theme of it that MJ might appear older than she looks that some old master or young talent appearance of a artist was able to capture her appearance sometime in the past. The artwork for me in it's physical look adds to a visual hidden story.