Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No. MJ is just going to wear the costume for the stunts and might use it to intimidate the Savage Six by making them think Spider-Man is actually there.

I guess they just digitally edit her physique to make it seem like it's a guy?
    Reminds me of that time someone, I think Smythe Jr., thought MJ was Spider-Man, and he justified the difference in body shape by thinking MJ wore an exo-skeleton, would be funny if they used that here, would be the longest brick joke ever .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Reminds me of that time someone, I think Smythe Jr., thought MJ was Spider-Man, and he justified the difference in body shape by thinking MJ wore an exo-skeleton, would be funny if they used that here, would be the longest brick joke ever .
    That was ASM Annual #19, written by Louise Simonson (and it is awesome). That actually set up a subplot that resolved itself in the Proposal trilogy (ASM#290-292).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    In USM, Mary Jane didn't need powers to be relevant. The problem here is that Peter Parker had, at some degree, became the "tutor" of SHIELD's young recruits (Nova, White Tiger, Power Man and Iron Fist), and that put aside Peter's regular cast aside. Besides, for some stupid reason, in these series they wanted to avoid any "romantic stuff", which is a stupidity. I mean, how can you write a story with teenagers and the main characters but make them ignore their "hormones". If they have allowed romantic elements in the series, MJ could have become more regular. Besides, if the Green Goblin would have learnt Peter's identity before, quite sure both Aunt May and Mary Jane would have be more in danger.

Finally, I personally have nothing against MJ having powers, but I definitely didn't like the source of her powers being the Carnage's symbiote. Many compared her to Flash as Agent Venom, but Carnage is a way worst symbiote that Venom ever was, so I don't see possible for something good coming out of it. Maybe Toxin, or any other symbiote, but definitely, not Carnage. Also, haven't noticed what they tried with this incarnation of MJ as Spider-Woman? She was actually a living reference to May "Mayday" Parker, Peter and MJ's daugther in MC2. Mayday has Peter's powers and brain, along with MJ's personality. Also, MJ's costume was based on Mayday's costumes too. You didn't notice it?
    That's true, and yeah, I noticed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That was ASM Annual #19, written by Louise Simonson (and it is awesome). That actually set up a subplot that resolved itself in the Proposal trilogy (ASM#290-292).
    Indeed, it was awesome, and yes, Alistair Smythe was the one in that Annual.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed, it was awesome, and yes, Alistair Smythe was the one in that Annual.
    Ironically, that Annual had the cover of Mary Jane changing to Spider-"Man"'s costume. I think this was the first time anybody thought about MJ with powers. And ironically, in the last issue, MJ actually wore the costume for the first time. I really really can't stop thinking the idea of the next issue, the story is edited as MJ is actually "Spider-Woman" in that movie. I mean, if Mary Jane defeats the Savage 6 in the next issue (although to do it, it would be a perfect time for her old spider-powers from Spider Island to return), Beck could decide MJ is actually a better Spidey than Spider-Man himself.

Ironically, that Annual had the cover of Mary Jane changing to Spider-"Man"'s costume. I think this was the first time anybody thought about MJ with powers. And ironically, in the last issue, MJ actually wore the costume for the first time. I really really can't stop thinking the idea of the next issue, the story is edited as MJ is actually "Spider-Woman" in that movie. I mean, if Mary Jane defeats the Savage 6 in the next issue (although to do it, it would be a perfect time for her old spider-powers from Spider Island to return), Beck could decide MJ is actually a better Spidey than Spider-Man himself.
    That would run in the issue of redoing every shot that has that guy and using MJ instead, and the reason they're even considering to use MJ is because they don't have the time or the money to replace him, not to mention that having MJ be Spider-Man/Woman would need changes in the script too, which would be hard to do because they already lack the time and money to just replace the guy, script changes would only make that worse.

Astonishing Member

That would run in the issue of redoing every shot that has that guy and using MJ instead, and the reason they're even considering to use MJ is because they don't have the time or the money to replace him, not to mention that having MJ be Spider-Man/Woman would need changes in the script too, which would be hard to do because they already lack the time and money to just replace the guy, script changes would only make that worse.
    I don't know, pal. I don't know what happens in the movie, but it seems MJ represents a superheroine of some kind. It had a couple of suits already (quite lame, by the way), and now she's wearing Spidey's suit. It seems to me that it won't be so difficult to modify the movie for MJ to be the Spider-Heroine.

I don't know, pal. I don't know what happens in the movie, but it seems MJ represents a superheroine of some kind. It had a couple of suits already (quite lame, by the way), and now she's wearing Spidey's suit. It seems to me that it won't be so difficult to modify the movie for MJ to be the Spider-Heroine.
    Considering they discussed for a bit that they had to replace the guy, that doing so for the last scene would be okay because he was just wearing the costume, it seems unlikely they'll just redo the movie to have MJ replacing Spidey in every scene, because again, they lack time and money.

Would be pretty lame if the writer decides to ignore this point after mentioning it.

Not to mention, they've already cut the romance subplot for MJ's character in the movie (reducing her screentime, to boot), so completely overhauling the movie to make her front-and-centre seems a bit of a tall order.

Astonishing Member

Considering they discussed for a bit that they had to replace the guy, that doing so for the last scene would be okay because he was just wearing the costume, it seems unlikely they'll just redo the movie to have MJ replacing Spidey in every scene, because again, they lack time and money.

Would be pretty lame if the writer decides to ignore this point after mentioning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Not to mention, they've already cut the romance subplot for MJ's character in the movie (reducing her screentime, to boot), so completely overhauling the movie to make her front-and-centre seems a bit of a tall order.
    Your arguments are solid, but that doesn't mean the writers won't just "cheat" continuity. I mean, how about the times when a "secondary forgotten character" that died years ago suddenly reappears without explanation? Besides, it's not like nowadays you can't find an expert in computers to digitally modify a whole movie or something.

Your arguments are solid, but that doesn't mean the writers won't just "cheat" continuity. I mean, how about the times when a "secondary forgotten character" that died years ago suddenly reappears without explanation? Besides, it's not like nowadays you can't find an expert in computers to digitally modify a whole movie or something.
    With what money? The reason they cut MJ's plotline is because they've barely got any budget left.

At this point you're grasping at straws.

New Carlos Gomez MJ related art on the web, possibly from upcoming Amazing Mary Jane:

Here is another one he did, but I think it's a personal work and not for the comic:

Carlos Gomez is great. Certainly leaning towards the cheesecake side, sure, but never creepy and his MJ is radiant and fun. He always draws her so energetic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    Carlos Gomez is great. Certainly leaning towards the cheesecake side, sure, but never creepy and his MJ is radiant and fun. He always draws her so energetic.
    Agreed! He captures the spirit of Romita's design so well, but still manages to put his own stylized spin on the character.