Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1181

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    She's either a total reimagining of the character or an MCU OC (do not steal) that does not stand out on their own and has to co-opt a canon character.

That people can't seem to agree which she is is kind of the problem and has come to totally define this character.
    shes fine as she is I dont mind if she Mj or not
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm pretty sure that she is considered MCU Mary Jane at this point, especially after having the plotline of discovering his secret before he tells her, i'm pretty sure that she is still the only love interest in Spider-Man lore that does that. Either way, as a characther she is okish at best, kind of meh at worst.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Was "Jones" just rumored? I guess there was never any official media with it, people just ran with it.

Guess it doesn't matter because she's just "MJ" now because that's the role she needs to fulfill .

Personally I feel like Zendaya could've been a much more convincing Mary Jane than they're letting her portray. She's even dyed her hair red in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was "Jones" just rumored? I guess there was never any official media with it, people just ran with it.

Guess it doesn't matter because she's just "MJ" now because that's the role she needs to fulfill .

Personally I feel like Zendaya could've been a much more convincing Mary Jane than they're letting her portray. She's even dyed her hair red in public.
    Did some research. She was called "Jones" by a Variety reporter at one point and people seemed to take that as official even though it is not.

I'm just tired of the wishy-washy "is she supposed to be MCU Mary Jane or not?" and consider Marvel to be a bunch of cowards for their "she's MJ but not Mary Jane" attitude.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 11-26-2020 at 07:20 PM.

i feel like if she was MJ from the jump fans will be complaining even more

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i feel like if she was MJ from the jump fans will be complaining even more
    That's why I consider Marvel to be a bunch of cowards. They should have owned up to it from the beginning. "We cast Zendaya as Mary Jane."

Instead we get this wishy-washy attitude from them that basically boils down to "She's MJ but not Mary Jane."

That's why I consider Marvel to be a bunch of cowards. They should have owned up to it from the beginning. "We cast Zendaya as Mary Jane."

Instead we get this wishy-washy attitude from them that basically boils down to "She's MJ but not Mary Jane."
    I dont blame them to be honest who wants to deal with the loud ones every single time

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I dont blame them to be honest who wants to deal with the loud ones every single time
    Fair enough, though at some point, as a major content creator whose output has great influence on how people who consume said content see themselves, each other, and the world around them, that comes with responsibility, which can't and shouldn't be shirked just because they're afraid of how some people will try to twist it to foment anger and hatred among some corners of the fandom.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, though at some point, as a major content creator whose output has great influence on how people who consume said content see themselves, each other, and the world around them, that comes with responsibility, which can't and shouldn't be shirked just because they're afraid of how some people will try to twist it to foment anger and hatred among some corners of the fandom.
    Thats also true

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thats also true
    Yeah, I mean, if you can't or won't win either way, then you might as well err on the side of your convictions, such as they are.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I mean, I personally would have been disappointed if they called her Mary Jane and still characterized her like they do in the movies because aside from a few similar traits the characters don't really read to me as the same (but I could say the same for most MCU Spider-Man characters).

I guess on a shallow level Michelle in the movies have meant that to a general audience Mary Jane Watson is still a green-eyed redhead.

I mean, I personally would have been disappointed if they called her Mary Jane and still characterized her like they do in the movies because aside from a few similar traits the characters don't really read to me as the same (but I could say the same for most MCU Spider-Man characters).

I guess on a shallow level Michelle in the movies have meant that to a general audience Mary Jane Watson is still a green-eyed redhead.
    I don't think audiences know about Mary Jane's eye color (doesn't she have blue eyes in Into The Spider-Verse?). People just think of her as a Caucasian redhead.

The only reason Mary Jane is a Caucasian redhead is because Romita modeled her after Ann-Margaret in Bye Bye Birdie. Because that was the standard of beauty at the time. I think Marvel could have sent a powerful message if they said Mary Jane, who has oft been described as beautiful, were unequivocally portrayed by a WOC.

(Obviously I think there's more to Mary Jane than her being physically attractive.)

BANNED

I don't think audiences know about Mary Jane's eye color (doesn't she have blue eyes in Into The Spider-Verse?). People just think of her as a Caucasian redhead.
    MJ originally had blue eyes in the Lee-Romita era. Her eyes became green much later.

Kirst Dunst had blue eyes as well in the movie (and also in real life, I don't know). The PS4 version also has blue eyes.

Why didn't they just make her a red head or hire a redhead actress?

Astonishing Member

My problem is not the fact that Zendaya is a person of color ( sometimes a person of color improves a story ( see Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury), it is that Zendaya is nothing like the Mary Jane in the comics ( the same issue I had with Kirsten Dunst). The best version I have seen was Into The Spider-Verse and she was voiced by someone of color ( Zoe Kravitz).