Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am one who disagrees. Mary Jones has as much in common with Mary Jane as the Yankees do with the Mets (Mary Jones is a 21st Century character who dates Peter and Mary Jane is a legendary character who has been around for over half a Century and was married to Peter, just like both the Yankees and Mets play baseball in New York but one has been around for over 100 years and has 27 Championships and the other half that time and only two). A well written Mary Jane is my favorite supporting character and they need to let Mary Jones be Mary Jones not Mary Jane.
    Her first name is Michelle. No part of her actual name is related to Mary Jane beyond initials .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Her first name is Michelle. No part of her actual name is related to Mary Jane beyond initials .
    Whatever. Michelle Jones or Mary Jones, she is not Mary Jane ( especially when it comes to personality).,

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That...is amazingly beautiful.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

CBR speculating that MCU MJ will become Firestar.
    https://www.cbr.com/video-spider-man...come-firestar/

In the 616 comics, Firestar's civilian name is Angelica Jones, and Jones is what the J in MCU's MJ stands for, so if true, this explains why she isn't called Mary Jane Watson. It wouldn't be the first time Firestar's identity has been changed - she was Liz Allan in Ultimate comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    CBR speculating that MCU MJ will become Firestar.
    https://www.cbr.com/video-spider-man...come-firestar/

In the comics, Firestar's civilian name is Angelica Jones, and Jones is what the J in MCU's MJ stands for, so if true, this explains why she isn't called Mary Jane Watson.
    Firstly, it's not MCU MJ, it's Sony-MCU MJ. Making Zendaya's character Firestar has to be agreed by both and even then Firestar's use in shared universe has to be decided on by Marvel.

I personally don't see the point of making her Firestar. At the end of the day, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends is not a very well known show outside of cultists and Spider-Man fans. There's not a lot to gain.

If they want to give her powers they could always make her Spinneret.

Here's some pretty cool artwork btw.

I'd rather MCU Peter's main love interest not get superpowers. Then again, they've been changing enough about the mythos as is that they may as well just go ahead and do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    If they want to give her powers they could always make her Spinneret.

Here's some pretty cool artwork btw.
    Pulls off the look pretty well .

Why not have mcu MJ use the Iron-Spider suit. So she can be Spinneret. Like the comics MJ-Spinnerets powers come from a suit.

Why is there always such a rush to give MJ or an equivalent to her superpowers or a supersuit?

I mean, I get the appeal on some level, and I liked RYV, but on a general basis I don't see the need for it.

Preview art from an upcoming issue of The Amazing Mary Jane?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Why is there always such a rush to give MJ or an equivalent to her superpowers or a supersuit?

I mean, I get the appeal on some level, and I liked RYV, but on a general basis I don't see the need for it.
    I think the idea is so she won't otherwise be a completely helpless damsel waiting for Spider-Man to come to her rescue, which comics canon MJ has never actually been (I blame the Sam Raimi films for spreading this idea among the masses), and since Sony/MCU-MJ is supposed to be someone "more capable" of keeping up with and supporting Peter through the insanity of his life (which is ironically much closer to comics canon MJ than some might think) . . . well, it does make sense on that level.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think the idea is so she won't otherwise be a completely helpless damsel waiting for Spider-Man to come to her rescue, which comics canon MJ has never actually been (I blame the Sam Raimi films for spreading this idea among the masses), and since Sony/MCU-MJ is supposed to be someone "more capable" of keeping up with and supporting Peter through the insanity of his life (which is ironically much closer to comics canon MJ than some might think) . . . well, it does make sense on that level.
    The MCU also really doesn't understand the value of civilians as civilians, and providing emotional grounding and focus on the stories. To them supporting cast are really support crews and not actual people.

Mary Jane in Raimi's movies may have been overly damselized but she was the emotional center and grounding of the stories, and it mattered tremendously that she showed gratitude to Spider-Man when nobody else in New York did (after Jameson's first smear campaign).

They do use civilian supporting cast - initially. But they do often end up becoming superheroes. Pepper Potts was prominent in the Iron Man films, but finally became Rescue in the recent Avengers films - Jim Rhodes was also just a civilian in the first film before becoming War Machine in the second. Jane Foster was in the first two Thor movies, back when she was also just a civilian in the comics. Having missed the third film, she'll be back in Thor 4 - with the powers she's since gained. Same thing with Wasp, who suited up for the first time in Ant-Man 2 and was just civilian Hope van Dyne in the first one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, but if she's supposed to be based on Mary Jane Watson, she should be able to keep up with the craziness of Spider-Man without needing to put a costume on. It's part of the characters appeal, and being the focal point of Peter's civilian life, not making her another costumed Superhero.
    They do use civilian supporting cast - initially. But they do often end up becoming superheroes. Pepper Potts was prominent in the Iron Man films, but finally became Rescue in the recent Avengers films - Jim Rhodes was also just a civilian in the first film before becoming War Machine in the second. Jane Foster was in the first two Thor movies, back when she was also just a civilian in the comics. Having missed the third film, she'll be back in Thor 4 - with the powers she's since gained. Same thing with Wasp, who suited up for the first time in Ant-Man 2 and was just civilian Hope van Dyne in the first one.
    We've still got Scott's other family...aside from Cassie who will end up with a costume. But I don't count Hope as a civilian even pre-Wasp because she was trained and involved even before she put a cosutme on.

Astonishing Member

Keep in mind; MJ did not have superpowers in ‘Into The Spider-Verse’ and she worked very well. Although I liked her in RYV, MJ(when written well ( as opposed to when you know who wrote her ( initials DS)), does not need to be jazzed up). She works well just the way she is.