Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
Yes this. She fits the spirit of MJ very well, while being her own unique thing, just like Tom Holland's Peter still evokes the spirit of who Peter is, while still in a different way. She's fun and sassy, Zendaya performs her greatly, and her chemistry with the rest of the cast is great.

Like I mentioned already, people are so obsessed and insecure with comic book accuracy that they'll take every little detail and change as a personal attack to them. She IS MJ. She IS this universe's "Mary Jane". Just because she's not called "Mary Jane" doesn't change things. Anybody who truly thinks in Spider-Man 3 they're going to introduce a new character named "Mary Jane" and that alone will make everything better, I think you're only fooling yourself.
https://collider.com/spider-man-home...-mj-explained/

Feige -
“We never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She’s not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there’s an “M” in Michelle and an “M” in Mary. [laughs] So we’re so clever and we thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be neat if her initials were MJ?’ And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, ‘Oh my God, it’s a big reveal!’ There are big reveals in the movie. That’s not one of them.”