Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Though Maximum Venom already had me sold through Patrick Brown's promotional designs for the Venomized characters, I'm even more excited now. Donny Cates as showrunner for this season is definitely an improvement.
    It's worth remembering, Donny Cates is not showrunner for the new season. He's just a creative consultant, in the same way Bendis was for USM and Slott is for this series. Means he's providing some input, but he's not completely in charge of it all.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    It's worth remembering, Donny Cates is not showrunner for the new season. He's just a creative consultant, in the same way Bendis was for USM and Slott is for this series. Means he's providing some input, but he's not completely in charge of it all.
    Thanks for correcting me there. Still excited, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

One wonders why Spencer hasn't gotten involved yet, my guess is that so much of his stuff doesn't filter to kids the way Slott's concepts do. Like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, HUNTED, and so on, are maybe not adult but they are not really childlike in concept. The idea that a scummy criminal like Boomerang somehow is also a compelling human being and has some value despite still being a bad person at heart is an idea that isn't for children (and for that matter, if not handled right, is bad for teenagers since it gives a few of them, mostly male, the idea that bad behavior can be condoned and enabled so long as you are fun to be around). And of course the relationship with MJ and the demands and issues of being in a relationship that is strong and powerful but has also faced many difficulties and is defined by that no less than its strengths, is also not a concept for kids.

Whereas Slott's work conceptually could be fitted for small kids...Horizon Labs becomes Horizon High, the sidekicks and so on can be worked in there, Superior Spider-Man being a simple freaky-friday thing also works.

Of course Donny Cates' Venom run isn't for kids either, and obviously it's going to be filtered somewhat, but conceptually since it's about the deepening of the Symbiote lore, it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    One wonders why Spencer hasn't gotten involved yet, my guess is that so much of his stuff doesn't filter to kids the way Slott's concepts do. Like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, HUNTED, and so on, are maybe not adult but they are not really childlike in concept. The idea that a scummy criminal like Boomerang somehow is also a compelling human being and has some value despite still being a bad person at heart is an idea that isn't for children (and for that matter, if not handled right, is bad for teenagers since it gives a few of them, mostly male, the idea that bad behavior can be condoned and enabled so long as you are fun to be around). And of course the relationship with MJ and the demands and issues of being in a relationship that is strong and powerful but has also faced many difficulties and is defined by that no less than its strengths, is also not a concept for kids.

Whereas Slott's work conceptually could be fitted for small kids...Horizon Labs becomes Horizon High, the sidekicks and so on can be worked in there, Superior Spider-Man being a simple freaky-friday thing also works.

Of course Donny Cates' Venom run isn't for kids either, and obviously it's going to be filtered somewhat, but conceptually since it's about the deepening of the Symbiote lore, it can work.
    I think it's because Kindred isn't wrapped up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think it's because Kindred isn't wrapped up yet.
    I think some of Nick Spencer's stories really lean into the long comics history and working with those things, like Kindred's stuff is seeming to relate to from multiple angles. Of course, that too can be simplified for a cartoon.

I do agree that I think the overprotectiveness reason from the game is much better than just simply the stress, since it puts them on an even level playing field. They're both gonna always be in danger so they just have to deal with it and trust each other, rather than it just being a one-sided worry.
    Yeah, I guess if you're going to make MJ a Lois Lane reporter-type, the traditional issues with her relationship with Peter don't make much sense.
    I still really liked the mature moment of owning up to her decision, because you see in so many stories these characters getting jealous when someone starts dating someone else, even though they were the ones that initially broke it off, so having her quickly come to this realization herself was a nice touch regarding their relationship. MJ in here did take the possible Felicia baby news much better than she did in the game, if that's anything.
    She was still jealous and hurt though, which is very human.
    Seems they are going Post-Slott in the media department
    I do think it's noticeable that, the season immediately after they finished adapting all the major Slott stuff they set out to adapt, they finally introduce Mary Jane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    honestly this feels worst than the original cause if she is so concern about Peter heroing what does that say about her taking risk in her reporter role?
    Maybe she wasn't as into it back then? So she grew up and got into reporting and started to understand the drive to throw oneself in danger for a good cause?
    Which is welcome, in my view. Hoping for the best in Felicia Day voicing Mary Jane Watson.
    I'm really curious to see what kind of take they go with. I'm also kind of curious if they'll base her design off Day visually (since she's also a redhead).

I hope she gets to say the "Face it Tiger..." line.

I don't think any concept is really cemented as "for kids" or "for adults," at least when it comes to adaptions. I guess it just depends on the kind of adaption, but when characters like Carnage and John Constantine pop up in cartoons for kids, it shows that there is a wide range of freedom in how these characters and concepts can be expressed.

As for Spencer...would he want to be a consultant on a cartoon? It seems like he's pretty busy writing comics. Maybe if someone asked him but the recent Spider-Man cartoons having the main writers as consultants is a little more out of the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I guess if you're going to make MJ a Lois Lane reporter-type, the traditional issues with her relationship with Peter don't make much sense.

She was still jealous and hurt though, which is very human.
    At least to be fair in this context, she hasn't taken the job at the Bugle yet, so it's possible to look at it as her getting more involved with the tougher work during this period, leading to her clearer understanding when they reunite.

And yeah, it made sense that she would still feel jealous, she just knew also to not get too obsessed about it because that would be wrong, helps to demonstrate her smarts and maturity in that way.

I think the answer is simply just, Cates is mega popular right now, they're doing a Venom storyline, so Marvel decided to just call him up and have him contribute.

Really don't think it has anything to do with "What's appropriate for kids", that just seems to be looking too far deep into things. Mostly just feels like the stories are too new, all his issues and concepts are much more interconnected within each other, compared to Slott who had alot more standalone concepts and ideas that are easy to adapt. Hunted's really the only one I could see best working as an episode (Kraven hunts animal-themed heroes and villains), and like the other posters mentioned, Kindred could possibly make his way over, just not until his reveal.
    Last edited by Inversed; 03-12-2020 at 08:13 PM.

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon, if there is one that's not for pre-schoolers, kind of moves away from basing itself on any one individual run.

BANNED

I hope the next Spider-Man cartoon, if there is one that's not for pre-schoolers, kind of moves away from basing itself on any one individual run.
    The next Spider-Man cartoon will be overseen by Feige himself. Remember that Marvel's Spider-Man is a production of Marvel Animation, a sub-studio of Marvel Television. Both verticals have been collapsed and merged to Feige. The people who oversaw that stuff -- Quesada (who had the goddamn nerve to give himself a cameo in the show), Wacker, Loeb, and others are no longer involved in hocking sub-standard mediocre pap.

What Feige's plans will be, I don't know. He was involved in the interesting Wolverine and the X-Men, a single season X-Men cartoon (which happens to be the last mainstream X-cartoon in over a decade).

Which is welcome, in my view. Hoping for the best in Felicia Day voicing Mary Jane Watson.
    No jokes about M.J. being voiced by a woman named Felicia?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No jokes about M.J. being voiced by a woman named Felicia?
    It’s a real name. One that marvel has no copyright on.

Besides take a look at Felicia Day.

The next Spider-Man cartoon will be overseen by Feige himself. Remember that Marvel's Spider-Man is a production of Marvel Animation, a sub-studio of Marvel Television. Both verticals have been collapsed and merged to Feige. The people who oversaw that stuff -- Quesada (who had the goddamn nerve to give himself a cameo in the show), Wacker, Loeb, and others are no longer involved in hocking sub-standard mediocre pap.

What Feige's plans will be, I don't know. He was involved in the interesting Wolverine and the X-Men, a single season X-Men cartoon (which happens to be the last mainstream X-cartoon in over a decade).
    I mean, Feige is concerning in and of itself because I'm not in love with MCU Spider-Man. It would probably matter more who is actually developing the cartoon.

I mean, Feige is concerning in and of itself because I'm not in love with MCU Spider-Man. It would probably matter more who is actually developing the cartoon.
    I doubt a Feige produced Spider-Man show would have Peter hero-worshipping Iron Man. I think the big issue with MCU Spider-Man is the Webb/Garfield movies, which were criticized for being too similar to the Raimi movies (and too soon after the Raimi movies).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    damn straight I will never find a Mary Jane as beautiful as this one
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy