Page 71 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1181
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    MJ originally had blue eyes in the Lee-Romita era. Her eyes became green much later.

Kirst Dunst had blue eyes as well in the movie (and also in real life, I don't know). The PS4 version also has blue eyes.
    Normally in fiction they give red haired characters green eyes... which is interesting since green eyes are more rare.

Then again Peter's eyes have been all over the place as well. I've seen them as brown most of the time (which while the most common, is the most rare in comic books), I've seen them as blue and hazel too...Heck Hobie Brown has even had blue eyes (which while technically possible, is EXTREMELY rare).

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My problem is not the fact that Zendaya is a person of color ( sometimes a person of color improves a story ( see Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury), it is that Zendaya is nothing like the Mary Jane in the comics ( the same issue I had with Kirsten Dunst). The best version I have seen was Into The Spider-Verse and she was voiced by someone of color ( Zoe Kravitz).
    Most the MCU kids are "in name only", so the race changes are the least of their problems as even if they looked like their comic counterparts they still would be nothing like them. As a comparison between another Spider-Man related adaptation that changed the races of more minor characters we have Ned from the MCU and Ned Lee from the Spectacular Spider-Man. They are both an Asian version of Peter's former coworker Ned Leeds. One of them is just Ned Leeds with a different coat of paint, while one is a completely different character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Normally in fiction they give red haired characters green eyes... which is interesting since green eyes are more rare.
    Comic artists always want their characters to look unique and cool. Green eyes are rare but you know what's really rare, violet eyes which Lois Lane now has thanks to Superman the Animated Series (probably inspired by Elizabeth Taylor who famously had them).

Then again Peter's eyes have been all over the place as well. I've seen them as brown most of the time (which while the most common, is the most rare in comic books), I've seen them as blue and hazel too...
    Mary Jane's nickname for Peter in the Conway era was "brown eyes". And to me Peter having a common eye color adds to his everyman thing. Giving him blue eyes just makes him more like Batman and Superman (both of whom are basically clones in terms of being dark-haired/blue-eyed alpha dudes). That said Tobey Maguire has blue eyes in real life.

[quote]Heck Hobie Brown has even had blue eyes (which while technically possible, is EXTREMELY rare).

Storm has blue eyes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't think audiences know about Mary Jane's eye color (doesn't she have blue eyes in Into The Spider-Verse?). People just think of her as a Caucasian redhead.

The only reason Mary Jane is a Caucasian redhead is because Romita modeled her after Ann-Margaret in Bye Bye Birdie. Because that was the standard of beauty at the time. I think Marvel could have sent a powerful message if they said Mary Jane, who has oft been described as beautiful, were unequivocally portrayed by a WOC.
    I think MJ's kind of evolved past just being based on a singular actress and just has her own look, and I don't think gorgeous redheads have skipped a generation.

Zendaya could totally play comics Mary Jane if they actually let her, but that does not seem to be the character of Michelle, so it wouldn't really work for me if they called her Mary Jane and still had her act the way she does.
    (Obviously I think there's more to Mary Jane than her being physically attractive.)
    I agree, but considering how much her detractors have vilified her for this, I'd rather see it still be emphasized rather than be treated as a negative to her character.
    Mary Jane's nickname for Peter in the Conway era was "brown eyes". And to me Peter having a common eye color adds to his everyman thing. Giving him blue eyes just makes him more like Batman and Superman (both of whom are basically clones in terms of being dark-haired/blue-eyed alpha dudes). That said Tobey Maguire has blue eyes in real life.
    Peter and MJ in Marvel's Spider-Man (the cartoon) both had green eyes.

Astonishing Member

Then again Peter's eyes have been all over the place as well. I've seen them as brown most of the time (which while the most common, is the most rare in comic books), I've seen them as blue and hazel too...Heck Hobie Brown has even had blue eyes (which while technically possible, is EXTREMELY rare).

Most the MCU kids are "in name only", so the race changes are the least of their problems as even if they looked like their comic counterparts they still would be nothing like them. As a comparison between another Spider-Man related adaptation that changed the races of more minor characters we have Ned from the MCU and Ned Lee from the Spectacular Spider-Man. They are both an Asian version of Peter's former coworker Ned Leeds. One of them is just Ned Leeds with a different coat of paint, while one is a completely different character.
    You make my point. Ned is a minor character, so who cares if he is Asian? On the other hand, Mary Jane is a Major Character and it is important that she be done correctly.. I would include the idea of Marisa Tomei as Aunt May in this discussion. She looks nothing at all like Aunt May or even acts like her. I would also include the substitution of Felicia for Gwen in the cartoon with Doc Ock. Why not use Gwen? All I ask for are good performances and to make the major characters as close to canon as possible. I do not think that is asking a lot.

Yeah, the MCU version is based on Ganke Lee, they stole from Miles's supporting cast. However, Barbara in the Miles Morales comics seems to be based on Michelle, and there's also a minor character who resembles the MCU Flash Thompson.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

We almost had another Mary Jane in the Amazon Spider-man movies has they continued.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    We almost had another Mary Jane in the Amazon Spider-man movies has they continued.
    I think you meant the Garfield Amazing Spider-Man movies...rather than a special series made for Amazon Prime lol! But yeah, Shailene Woodley was cast as MJ, and she did look the part at the time.

All the same I am glad the TASM movies never introduced MJ...because those movies crashed and burned. Likewise introducing MJ after Emma Stone's Gwen, even with Woodley wouldn't have worked because it would have shown Emma Gwen upstaing MJ which is not how the comics went.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think we're lucky we were spared that.

(Those movies had bad priorities. Richard Parker should never be anything but a footnote.)

I think you meant the Garfield Amazing Spider-Man movies...rather than a special series made for Amazon Prime lol! But yeah, Shailene Woodley was cast as MJ, and she did look the part at the time.

All the same I am glad the TASM movies never introduced MJ...because those movies crashed and burned. Likewise introducing MJ after Emma Stone's Gwen, even with Woodley wouldn't have worked because it would have shown Emma Gwen upstaing MJ which is not how the comics went.
    Sorry using my phone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think we're lucky we were spared that.

(Those movies had bad priorities. Richard Parker should never be anything but a footnote.)
    Agreed. Nothing against Shailene, but the cast and crew of those films really had a terrible impression of Mary Jane and some terrible ideas for the character. And Shailene's Mary Jane would've just played second fiddle to Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy.

As far as Zendaya goes, I think she's an even better choice to play Mary Jane than Shailene... if only she actually played Mary Jane.

It's funny you mention Shailene when, visually, PS4 MJ has always kind of reminded me of the what they were going for with her in the ASM movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Agreed. Nothing against Shailene, but the cast and crew of those films really had a terrible impression of Mary Jane and some terrible ideas for the character. And Shailene's Mary Jane would've just played second fiddle to Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy.
    The movies weren't committed to adapting the Peter-MJ-Gwen love triangle. They were commiteed to a Peter-Gwen romance with Gwen as "the one". So there wasn't any role for MJ in the schema that TASM ran with.

It would never have worked out well.

I remember being disappointed at the news that her scenes were cut out of TASM-2, but then the movie flopped and that made me happier.

I agree that it was a good call since the series was canceled, but more from a "one less unresolved loose end"/"keeping the narrative focus on characters relevant to the story" then "character being upstaged by another." (Granted, had they made a third movie and wanted to put MJ in it, I think having her cameo in movie two would've helped set up some of the groundwork, much like having Michelle Jones be a supporting character in the first MCU Spidey movie gave us a crash course on what her deal was and foreshowing her role as the sequel's leading lady a bit.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I agree that it was a good call since the series was canceled, but more from a "one less unresolved loose end"/"keeping the narrative focus on characters relevant to the story" then "character being upstaged by another." (Granted, had they made a third movie and wanted to put MJ in it, I think having her cameo in movie two would've helped set up some of the groundwork, much like having Michelle Jones be a supporting character in the first MCU Spidey movie gave us a crash course on what her deal was and foreshowing her role as the sequel's leading lady a bit.)
    It wouldn't have worked. The romance between Peter/MJ in the hypothetical third movie would have been compared negatively to Emma Gwen.

More to the point, the movie gave everything which made Mary Jane unique and gave it to Gwen. In TASM -- Gwen knows Peter is Spider-Man and is his confidant and partner much like Mary Jane was (and which 616 Gwen was absolutely incapable of being at the time of her death), so there's not much for Woodley's Mary Jane to distinguish herself from Emma Gwen. Emma Gwen is also a funny and jokey in the way comics!MJ is whereas 616!Gwen was never funny (never intentionally funny) and always a too-serious girl. So if they introduced MJ after that she would come across as a copy of Emma Stone's Gwen in the eyes of the audience of those movies. I think the director Marc Webb, the screenwriters and the producers made poor adaptation choices but I think Mr. Webb was right in removing MJ because he realized he commited one way and couldn't simply dilute that and it wouldn't work.

Anyway, TASM being without MJ means that these two failed movies get to be owned entirely by the Peter/Gwen romance, and the idea of whether Gwen Stacy could ever have meaningfully stepped into the role MJ had.

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing the TASM films doing the relationship with MJ right considering how much of those films hinged on the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone and that they turned Gwen into the perfect heroine.