Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
The MCU also really doesn't understand the value of civilians as civilians, and providing emotional grounding and focus on the stories. To them supporting cast are really support crews and not actual people.

Mary Jane in Raimi's movies may have been overly damselized but she was the emotional center and grounding of the stories, and it mattered tremendously that she showed gratitude to Spider-Man when nobody else in New York did (after Jameson's first smear campaign).
Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
They do use civilian supporting cast - initially. But they do often end up becoming superheroes. Pepper Potts was prominent in the Iron Man films, but finally became Rescue in the recent Avengers films - Jim Rhodes was also just a civilian in the first film before becoming War Machine in the second. Jane Foster was in the first two Thor movies, back when she was also just a civilian in the comics. Having missed the third film, she'll be back in Thor 4 - with the powers she's since gained. Same thing with Wasp, who suited up for the first time in Ant-Man 2 and was just civilian Hope van Dyne in the first one.
Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yeah, but if she's supposed to be based on Mary Jane Watson, she should be able to keep up with the craziness of Spider-Man without needing to put a costume on. It's part of the characters appeal, and being the focal point of Peter's civilian life, not making her another costumed Superhero.

We've still got Scott's other family...aside from Cassie who will end up with a costume. But I don't count Hope as a civilian even pre-Wasp because she was trained and involved even before she put a cosutme on.
Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
Keep in mind; MJ did not have superpowers in ‘Into The Spider-Verse’ and she worked very well. Although I liked her in RYV, MJ(when written well ( as opposed to when you know who wrote her ( initials DS)), does not need to be jazzed up). She works well just the way she is.
Generally agree with you all, although to be slightly fair to the MCU, the more recent comics it's based on (or inspired by) have also been pretty bad about keeping the characters' stories grounded in some recognizable semblance of humanity. It's been one of my own ongoing complaints, that most of the superheroes spend more time around other superheroes (or agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or some other clandestine government agency) and are increasingly secreted and isolated from the civilian masses they protect, thus leading to a kind of alienation and/or emotional disconnect that renders them oblivious to the effect their (more dubious) actions have on those civilians.