Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Agreed, the fact that she is not officially Mary Jane really realiy bugs me. Its the most annoying thing to me about the new movies.
    This I agree. There's no reason why they needed to avoid the name. I mean were they that dumb to think that Michelle is more "ethnic" a name than Mary Jane?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Just have a line in the third movie that Michelle is a pseudonym and that her birth name is Mary Jane and add in a line about "didn't want any marijuana jokes" and that's it.
    Hard to avoid with a nickname like MJ

I do wonder if they would have gone in a different direction had Homecoming been developed only a couple years later. Post- ITSV, the PS4 game, and with Nick Spencer's run, there seems to be some renewed interest in the character at Marvel. I could see them now wanting to bring "Mary Jane" into the fold somehow. Either way, MCU Spidey has too many odd creative choices for my liking.

Agreed, the fact that she is not officially Mary Jane really realiy bugs me. Its the most annoying thing to me about the new movies.
    At the same time though, it's honestly not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Like, Peter's friend's name is "Ned Leeds", but we ALL know that he's not actually Ned (and in fact just Ganke). But majority of people don't mind he's not "comic Ned" because they like the character's performance and interaction (they may have an issue with them taking Ganke from Miles, but that's a different issue to be fair). And then for MJ, she may be named "Michelle Jones", but we ALL know she's supposed to be Mary Jane, and character/performance wise, she fits the part and works well alongside this Peter.

Think about how many comic book characters in movies or shows that are criticized just "in name only" to their comic counterparts, so when there's a decent interpretation of a character that just has a different name, it's not a big dealbreaker for me. Mostly just as a nitpick, since there really wasn't a reason to change her name, other than A) To keep her being the "Mary Jane" of this series a secret, and B) To try and avoid the racist ramblings from certain circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    At the same time though, it's honestly not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Like, Peter's friend's name is "Ned Leeds", but we ALL know that he's not actually Ned (and in fact just Ganke). But majority of people don't mind he's not "comic Ned" because they like the character's performance and interaction (they may have an issue with them taking Ganke from Miles, but that's a different issue to be fair). And then for MJ, she may be named "Michelle Jones", but we ALL know she's supposed to be Mary Jane, and character/performance wise, she fits the part and works well alongside this Peter.

Think about how many comic book characters in movies or shows that are criticized just "in name only" to their comic counterparts, so when there's a decent interpretation of a character that just has a different name, it's not a big dealbreaker for me. Mostly just as a nitpick, since there really wasn't a reason to change her name, other than A) To keep her being the "Mary Jane" of this series a secret, and B) To try and avoid the racist ramblings from certain circles.
    Except in interviews it was stated she is NOT Mary Jane. So no, i dont know that she is the MCU’s version of Mary Jane. It’s actually the opposite. Ive seen confirmstion that she is not, but none that she is.

Also, for me its not just the name but the personality as well. In many ways she is a very different character then outgoing party girl, comic book MJ.

I just find it hilarious how now we can't call her by her actual name anymore. "Michelle Jones" is dead, long live "MJ" .
    Except in interviews it was stated she is NOT Mary Jane. So no, i dont know that she is the MCU’s version of Mary Jane. It’s actually the opposite. Ive seen confirmstion that she is not, but none that she is.

Also, for me its not just the name but the personality as well. In many ways she is a very different character then outgoing party girl, comic book MJ.
    I guess she's Mary Jane if you replaced the Party Girl facade with a counterculture, rebellious, personality, because I think we saw in Far From Home that that's just a mask she puts on around people that she only took off when she was honest with Peter.

It's like if Mary Jane tried to be Earth-65 Gwen Stacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Hard to avoid with a nickname like MJ

I do wonder if they would have gone in a different direction had Homecoming been developed only a couple years later. Post- ITSV, the PS4 game, and with Nick Spencer's run, there seems to be some renewed interest in the character at Marvel. I could see them now wanting to bring "Mary Jane" into the fold somehow. Either way, MCU Spidey has too many odd creative choices for my liking.
    She's still a complete no-show in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon, but that's probably because it's adapting an era where she was vastly underutilized and also because it's a Marvel cartoon so I doubt they could use her well.

Astonishing Member

What does everyone think about this potential news for MCU Spider-Man 3?

Could Marvel/Sony be bringing in the “real” Mary Jane finally?

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...iderman-3/amp/
    I would love to have the real Mary Jane Watson on the movie, but all things considered, I see it very difficult to happen.

This awesome piece by Kevin Wada!

I am fine with a race change for Mary Jane and Id like it if Zendaya’s charcter became more like Mary Jane, adopting her personality, name, and red hair. However, I feel like the current Michelle MJ is not a proper adaptation given all of the above differences, and in interviews it was stated she is not Mary Jane, and the initials are only a homage to Mary Jane. Knowing all this I feel we are missing out and the Mary Jane we know and love and she does not exist on the movies, which is disappointing.
    At this point, the MCU has built itself as a "Mary Jane-less" version of Spider-Man. It should follow that trajectory rather then engaging in a clumsy backtrack to introduce an element it was not designed to encompass.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    At this point, the MCU has built itself as a "Mary Jane-less" version of Spider-Man.
    One of the biggest reasons I don't enjoy the MCU version of Spider-Man is this. It sucks honestly.

One of the biggest reasons I don't enjoy the MCU version of Spider-Man is this. It sucks honestly.
    I was hoping that the movies would be a faithful adaptation of the USM comics, with MJ in her usual role from them myself, but that didn't happen. Way I see it, if I want Spidey movies with MJ in them, the Raimi movies and Spider-Verse do that. Guess I'm okay with the MCU stuff doing a different take since it's not the only option out there?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

At this point, the MCU has built itself as a "Mary Jane-less" version of Spider-Man. It should follow that trajectory rather then engaging in a clumsy backtrack to introduce an element it was not designed to encompass.
    If that was really their intention then they shouldn't have given Zendaya's character the "MJ" nickname.
    I was hoping that the movies would be a faithful adaptation of the USM comics, with MJ in her usual role from them myself, but that didn't happen. Way I see it, if I want Spidey movies with MJ in them, the Raimi movies and Spider-Verse do that. Guess I'm okay with the MCU stuff doing a different take since it's not the only option out there?
    I was hoping for more Spec Spidey, but can't win 'em all.
    I still wish we had gotten to see these two actually meet in the DLC.

(Also, it's kind of weird to see PS4 MJ depicted as a bombshell. Not that I mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still wish we had gotten to see these two actually meet in the DLC.

(Also, it's kind of weird to see PS4 MJ depicted as a bombshell. Not that I mind).
    I'm really curious how an interaction between the two would've gone about. Because I could see this Felicia end up going with the traditional teasing approach, or being more vindictive or manipulative.

I wasn't sure if Felicia knew who MJ was, but the comic that just came out did have her reference "Red" so that implies she has an idea who she is.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm really curious how an interaction between the two would've gone about. Because I could see this Felicia end up going with the traditional teasing approach, or being more vindictive or manipulative.

I wasn't sure if Felicia knew who MJ was, but the comic that just came out did have her reference "Red" so that implies she has an idea who she is.
    Considering the art here depicts a universe where MJ is the resident spider-powered hero a la Exiles or that one arc of Incredible Hercules, I could see Felicia (who has been implied, if not confirmed, in 616 canon and MC2 continuity to be bisexual) treating her the same way she would've treated most versions of Peter, for both better and worse. As for the actual game that I just realized you were all talking about, I could see MJ having a grudge on Peter's behalf that Felicia lied to him about having a son with him to get his help robbing the Maggia. Felicia's reaction would depend on whether or not she did genuinely feel bad about using Peter the way she did, though I could still see things being frosty between her and MJ for a good while.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think it would be mostly teasing. She would only be manipulative if she got something out of it, but she never really acted bitter toward Peter.