Page 44 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    MJ's versatile. A gun, a baseball bat, her own wits...that's usually what she needs to get by .
    Against a faker like Chameleon, she can perfectly defend herself. But against a psychomaniac like Norman Osborn? Not so much. Remember, during the Red Goblin's attack, MJ needed something special and she luckily had a weapon made by Tony Stark. And even so, it wasn't enough to avoide the Red Goblin's deathliest play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Against a faker like Chameleon, she can perfectly defend herself. But against a psychomaniac like Norman Osborn? Not so much. Remember, during the Red Goblin's attack, MJ needed something special and she luckily had a weapon made by Tony Stark. And even so, it wasn't enough to avoide the Red Goblin's deathliest play.
    I think you're severely underestimating MJ and undervaluing her role without the need for making her a Superhero or giving her powers which I think is worth more than a few damsel in distress situations.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I think you're severely underestimating MJ and undervaluing her role without the need for making her a Superhero or giving her powers which I think is worth more than a few damsel in distress situations.
    And if you go by Amazing Mary Jane before it was unceremoniously canceled, she can handle herself pretty well against some supervillains, at least. Even before that, she actually distracted and tricked the new Electro, Francine Frye, into defeat, back in ASM 25 by Nick Spencer that was the launchpad for Amazing Mary Jane.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

I think it's ridiculous in the first place.

If it was a no name character, even a police officer, they wouldn't be able to do as well as her. That's basically plot armor.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think it's ridiculous in the first place.

If it was a no name character, even a police officer, they wouldn't be able to do as well as her. That's basically plot armor.
    If you are a supporting characther in a superhero world, you always need some of that plot armor to survive.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    If you are a supporting characther in a superhero world, you always need some of that plot armor to survive.
    You're not exactly wrong, but it gets ridiculous at times.

You're not exactly wrong, but it gets ridiculous at times.
    I think that with MJ it has been mostly fine, she beat the Chameleon once who is really just a dude and she was able to escape some normal goons, as long as she is not beating actual heavy hitters i can live with it.
    Last edited by TheCape; 10-04-2020 at 05:56 PM.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I think that with MJ it has been mostly fine, she beat the Chameleon once who is really just a dude and she was able to escape some normal goons, as long as she is not beating actual heavy hitters i can live with it.
    She beat Swarm too.

She beat Swarm too.
    When? in the Leah Williams mini, because i'm no reading that book.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

When? in the Leah Williams mini, because i'm no reading that book.
    If I remember correctly, it was when Peter's identity was revealed, and then Swarm attacked MJ at her play rehearsal.

If I remember correctly, it was when Peter's identity was revealed, and then Swarm attacked MJ at her play rehearsal.
    Ah, now i remember, i think that it was in Sacasa Sensational underrated run, probably should read it againt at some point.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ah, now i remember, i think that it was in Sacasa Sensational underrated run, probably should read it againt at some point.
    Indeed. It had some excellent characterization during the Civil War period.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. It had some excellent characterization during the Civil War period.
    I like the trilogy with the most important women in Peter's life MJ, Aunt May and Felicia, the last one in particular was a pretty good one. I also like the Eddie Brock althougth i find some of the charactherization there questionable.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

am I being paranoid that the high ups against the marriage like Quesada where regretting how the rekindled relationship got such a strong positive response that they backslid a bit and used what happened in the Pandemic cutting titles to purposely cancelled Amazing Mary Jane remainder issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    am I being paranoid that the high ups against the marriage like Quesada where regretting how the rekindled relationship got such a strong positive response that they backslid a bit and used what happened in the Pandemic cutting titles to purposely cancelled Amazing Mary Jane remainder issues.
    Probably a little.

For one thing, Joe Quesada is not as powerful and dominant as he used to be. For another thing, during the Pandemic, I doubt even he would care to nurse an old grudge.

Third thing, AMJ sales did decline a bit, so from a sales perspective it sorta makes sense.