Page 57 of 79 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think red hair + bombshell body + fun personality helped a lot. These traits are kind of more shallow but it made the contrast to when they started adding more depth and get into MJ's hidden character traits all the more significant. It's part of what makes her a well-rounded character.

I feel, taking the out-of-context reasoning behind it, these moments make Peter and MJ look to me like two people who are really close to each other and care about each other immensely but are gun-shy about committing to anything beyond that even when a part of them knows they care about each other beyond just "friends" but just won't admit it for fear of what might happen. So they value and rely on each other's friendship until one of them finally bit the bullet and went for something more again.

I think it's all about the degrees...having a partner and confidante to share the burden with and who can help you lighten up helps a lot, but MJ wasn't some magical fix me up for all of Peter's problems, just like any relationship.
    MJ was not a magical fix me up, but she saved Peter from possibly becoming Frank Castle and killing Osborn over Gwen. Keep in mind Castle first appeared only 7 issues later in ASM 129, so the idea of such a revenge minded vigilante was on the mind of Gerry Conway. I would also note that there are only 4 characters: Peter, Matt Murdock, Miles and Clint Barton who have hidden identities ( and only Peter and Matt are really necessary for the character), having her helps to keep Peter relevant instead of just becoming 24/7 Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is not true. First off she beats Felicia and Felicia is NOT dead. Second, MJ was designed to be the one ( even going back to Ditko ( although she did not appear until after he left the book)). I said it before and I will say it again she was Aunt Mays choice for Peter not Betty or Gwen ( and prior to MJ no one knew Peter better).
    It's debatable if she was really meant to be that important originally, just was a running gag where Peter never meets her, then in the end he chose Gwen anyways, and Gwen being killed was only done because Conway prefered his redhead waifu.

Maybe Ditko was planning to make her into a major love interest, but there's basically nothing to confirm, or deny that.

I think red hair + bombshell body + fun personality helped a lot. These traits are kind of more shallow but it made the contrast to when they started adding more depth and get into MJ's hidden character traits all the more significant. It's part of what makes her a well-rounded character.
    It also helps that Ditko only left ASM recently by the time MJ starts showing up, Ditko had a real problem into making almost everyone from the supporting cast into colossal douchebags, so getting a character like MJ makes her stand out even more, not only was she different from the usual females at the time, she was also a fun, easy going character, so of course she was gonna be popular.

I feel, taking the out-of-context reasoning behind it, these moments make Peter and MJ look to me like two people who are really close to each other and care about each other immensely but are gun-shy about committing to anything beyond that even when a part of them knows they care about each other beyond just "friends" but just won't admit it for fear of what might happen. So they value and rely on each other's friendship until one of them finally bit the bullet and went for something more again.
    I pointed that out man, in the same part you quoted lol.

I think it's all about the degrees...having a partner and confidante to share the burden with and who can help you lighten up helps a lot, but MJ wasn't some magical fix me up for all of Peter's problems, just like any relationship.
    Yeah, just shitty they talked about her like she was some magic problem fixer.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    MJ was not a magical fix me up, but she saved Peter from possibly becoming Frank Castle and killing Osborn over Gwen. Keep in mind Castle first appeared only 7 issues later in ASM 129, so the idea of such a revenge minded vigilante was on the mind of Gerry Conway.
    Didn't Peter have the same face as Frank whenever his mask was off in ASM#122? 'Cause if so, yeah, rather obvious in hindsight what Conway was planning lol.

Not sure about MJ preventing Peter from becoming a revenge driven character though, but at least aleviated his pain by being there for him, even when he didn't want her to.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    KING IN BLACK: GWENOM VS CARNAGE #2 (OF 3)

SEANAN McGUIRE (W) • FLAVIANO (A) • Cover by KEN LASHLEY
    GWEN STACY VS. MARY JANE WATSON!
    They’ve been at each other’s throats over the band for years, but not like this. THIS battle of the bands really shreds…
    ...I don't know what to say about this.

Mary Jane with the Carnage Symbiote - again.

Quite possibly EmJay has finally become an outright villain.

Seanan McGuire gets to finally write the Gwen Stacy vs. Mary Jane story she's probably had in the back of her mind .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It also helps that Ditko only left ASM recently by the time MJ starts showing up, Ditko had a real problem into making almost everyone from the supporting cast into colossal douchebags, so getting a character like MJ makes her stand out even more, not only was she different from the usual females at the time, she was also a fun, easy going character, so of course she was gonna be popular.
    Yeah, I don't think Ditko could've quite captured the "Face it Tiger..." moment...
    I pointed that out man, in the same part you quoted lol
    Sorry! I guess I was just going in-depth with it .

Mighty Member

...I don't know what to say about this.

Mary Jane with the Carnage Symbiote - again.

Quite possibly EmJay has finally become an outright villain.

Seanan McGuire gets to finally write the Gwen Stacy vs. Mary Jane story she's probably had in the back of her mind .
    Gwen-Venom vs MJ-Carnage! Brought to you by the producers of The Amazing Spider-man 2

Astonishing Member

It's debatable if she was really meant to be that important originally, just was a running gag where Peter never meets her, then in the end he chose Gwen anyways, and Gwen being killed was only done because Conway prefered his redhead waifu.

Maybe Ditko was planning to make her into a major love interest, but there's basically nothing to confirm, or deny that.

I pointed that out man, in the same part you quoted lol.

Yeah, just shitty they talked about her like she was some magic problem fixer.

Didn't Peter have the same face as Frank whenever his mask was off in ASM#122? 'Cause if so, yeah, rather obvious in hindsight what Conway was planning lol.

Not sure about MJ preventing Peter from becoming a revenge driven character though, but at least aleviated his pain by being there for him, even when he didn't want her to.
    In ASM 122, Peter certainly had the same pissed off look that Frank had. He was also unhappy because so many people were against him ( going back to George Stacy’s death which is why he tried to get rid of his Spider powers). I have rarely see Peter angry but when I do, it is not good. Ask Otto and Fisk about it sometime. I would also note that everyone needs someone to keep them grounded. Think of Bruce Wayne. I could easily see Wayne becoming a vigilante if not for the presence of Alfred.

Mighty Member

Can't blame those people for having such an impression of MJ, specially considering that checking out comics to see the "real" MJ can be such a chore, what if they read **** like her being a bitch in the 90's or Slott's run? That'd certainly not make her look better.
    I've said this before, but Marvel should print a collection or a series of volumes that highlight the "key moments" in Peter and MJ's relationship in 616. Something that would make continuity more accessible for new readers. Maybe if they ever get around to addressing OMD, they'd be more inclined to do so. There's clearly an audience for it, and they could do the same for Felicia and Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I've said this before, but Marvel should print a collection or a series of volumes that highlight the "key moments" in Peter and MJ's relationship in 616. Something that would make continuity more accessible for new readers. Maybe if they ever get around to addressing OMD, they'd be more inclined to do so. There's clearly an audience for it, and they could do the same for Felicia and Gwen.
    DC released Batman and Catwoman's "greatest hits" in a trade collection recently. Maybe do the same for some of Peter's romances .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

A version of Mary Jane with a version of the Carnage symbiote in the actual comics would be fun, but I'm really hoping this leads to a final reconciliation with Ghost-Spider-Gwen. Also, if Em Jay can control her version of the Carnage symbiote in the end, it'd be really cool to see her become Earth-65's Scarlet Spider, like her costume in that Halloween issue of Spider-Gwen.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm kinda weirded out a little. Did Mary Jane actually date Harry? It seemed more like just hanging out I don't think they even made it that far. And if they did,,,it's just f*cking weird man

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm kinda weirded out a little. Did Mary Jane actually date Harry? It seemed more like just hanging out I don't think they even made it that far. And if they did,,,it's just f*cking weird man
    They kind of dated, but it wasn't serious, not on MJ's part, anyway, much to Harry's bitter disappointment.

harry had the cash. Mj probably thought he could take her to the expensive clubs in the city
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They kind of dated, but it wasn't serious, not on MJ's part, anyway, much to Harry's bitter disappointment.
    That's what I though.i don't think they went anywhere since Mary Jane had always her eyes on Peter. Weirdly enough Mary Jane did try with Peter, but he blew her off cause "Muh responsibilities"

That's what I though.i don't think they went anywhere since Mary Jane had always her eyes on Peter. Weirdly enough Mary Jane did try with Peter, but he blew her off cause "Muh responsibilities"
    And because of her "party girl" persona, he thought it wasn't worth trying to have a serious relationship with her and stuck with Gwen until Gwen died, at which point Mary Jane refused to leave Peter to wallow in his grief even after he snapped at her that she'd never been sad in her life, not even if her own mother died . . . given that her mother was dead before we see her in-series . . . in retrospect, Peter must have felt pretty awful when she told him what her life was really like before they met.

And because of her "party girl" persona, he thought it wasn't worth trying to have a serious relationship with her and stuck with Gwen until Gwen died, at which point Mary Jane refused to leave Peter to wallow in his grief even after he snapped at her that she'd never been sad in her life, not even if her own mother died . . . given that her mother was dead before we see her in-series . . . in retrospect, Peter must have felt pretty awful when she told him what her life was really like before they met.
    Yeah sucks that Gwen die for this to works but had she not you will never know about Mjs past and why she acts the way she does
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I kinda meant a little after Gwen died. Cause Mary Jane was Peter's girlfriend before she disappeared from the books for a bit. And this just reinforces my post about Peter being an *******. Especially to Mary Jane.