Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I'm pretty sure more than once MJ wondered what's up with Peter, clearly not knowing, but finding those panels is a pain in the ass...

At the very least, it brings more good **** than bad, ASM#122 is the biggest example, pre-retcon it gives her depth by making her be there for Peter even when he's telling her to get the **** away, post-retcon makes her stop being being so afraid of getting involved with Peter's Spider-Man life, just this once, to be there for him.

Well, MJ can manage to be engaging when she's on-screen, the Hobgoblin mystery became like this after a while:

So no surprises fans were asking more about her than Hobgoblin lol.

How many of those appearances had her actually doing something though? 'Cause they could be glorified cameos, I know at least Spectacular#111 had her showing up, but it's only two panels, and that's because the story continues from ASM#273, where she was helping Peter paint his apartment before Puma showed up and she decided to leave, so basically she's just repeating ASM#273, and in that she didn't do much too lol.

Man, that's like trying to make someone forget the pain of being punched by stabbing him

Anyways, found this little gem:

(ASM#45)

I said "what the ****" out loud at this moment, dialogues can age in weird ways lol.

Nothing wrong with not wanting Peter to be with a crazy bitch man :P
    Yeah, that retcon doesn't really hurt much, at best it makes a couple of stories seem a bit weird when she clearly thinks that they are two different people, but is not like they were that memorable.

Well, i never said that i was trying to help you .

Oh man, i found that panel recently too, i snorted when i read it...like damn MJ and in from of your aunt, i can't even speak of romance in from of my parents without feeling awarkd, but she is just not ashamed, respect
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Norman was close though, so very close, he has those complete bullshit super-villain plans that rely on colossal amounts of luck for them to succeed, and the narration treats him as a super genius for being lucky, and The Light has plans like that too (Warworld episode is the biggest one, they let Mongul know that Reach is on Earth so he can attack it for Reach to reveal their army hidden in there, this plan relies on the Reach telling everyone on Earth that they don't have an army, which they didn't do until Warworld was already coming, and for the heroes to protect the Earth just enough for the Reach to do something, and also for them to manage to fucking defeat Mongul, and if the plan fails, Earth is nuked, which goes against their plans, this is their most moronic plan by far) biggest difference between him and Light is that Norman's defeats actually matter and screw him up, The Light, when they lose they're inconvenienced at worst, and that's it, so Weisman's super competent villain fetish was definitely there, just that Spectacular's writing is good enough to actually screw him over.
    Imagine if Norman was part of The Light. "Being unmasked in the middle of my fight with Spider-Man, while on my Goblin Glider, IN PUBLIC and losing the Big Man position and having to flee the country because the world now thinks I'm dead...was all according to plan!"

I honestly find Batman TAS a bit overrated, definitely above average when it comes to super-hero adaptations, but I don't think it's as good as people say.
    While Batman TAS is pretty much the gold standard of superhero animation...for every "Heart of Ice" there is an "I've Got Batman In My Basement"..

Also...speaking of the DCAU...Lana Lang was pretty much Mary Jane Watson in design

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Also...speaking of the DCAU...Lana Lang was pretty much Mary Jane Watson in design
    Well, in the Amalgam Universe, Mary Jane and Lana Lang were merged into one.

BANNED

Not just design. She knew Clark from high school, figured out his secret, kept it from him became a jetset fashionista...

She's basically Mary Jane as she became in 616 comics at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Well, i never said that i was trying to help you .

Oh man, i found that panel recently too, i snorted when i read it...like damn MJ and in from of your aunt, i can't even speak of romance in from of my parents without feeling awarkd, but she is just not ashamed, respect
    What she says becomes even funnier considering that Anna is talking about how much of a nice boy Peter is, and MJ replies by saying he turns her on and he'd be a swinger if he let himself go, just what she says sounds weird enough, but the contrast between what both are saying makes it even funnier lol.

To make it even weirder, MJ sometimes calls him "Dad", yeah...

And this isn't even the only time something weird is said near Anna:

(ASM Annual#19)

So yeah, one can say she's used to it :P

Imagine if Norman was part of The Light. "Being unmasked in the middle of my fight with Spider-Man, while on my Goblin Glider, IN PUBLIC and losing the Big Man position and having to flee the country because the world now thinks I'm dead...was all according to plan!"
    Either that, or he'd end the episode saying that living in New York made him want to see The Light, or whatever other bad pun lol.

And while Norman is not even 50% as obnoxious as The Light (I'm really sick of those Villain Sues lol), he's completely calm at the end of season 2, even though everything he worked for for months was gone in just one night, so while at least that episode didn't end with a bullshit "haha, the plan worked perfectly!", he's still way too calm, he should at least look a little annoyed, but not surprising Weisman decided to make a villain who never loses composure, even if it makes them not even look human.

While Batman TAS is pretty much the gold standard of superhero animation...for every "Heart of Ice" there is an "I've Got Batman In My Basement"..
    Yeah I was wondering if it was something like that, a cartoon being episodic has the benefits of the worst stories just being forgotten, I know Avatar certainly got benefits from this lol.

Pretty sure her entire character was practically 616 MJ.

Kinda funny that this could be considered the best MJ adaptation until Spectacular.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-17-2020 at 09:01 PM.

What she says becomes even funnier considering that Anna is talking about how much of a nice boy Peter is, and MJ replies by saying he turns her on and he'd be a swinger if he let himself go, just what she says sounds weird enough, but the contrast between what both are saying makes it even funnier lol.

To make it even weirder, MJ sometimes calls him "Dad", yeah...

And this isn't even the only time something weird is said near Anna:

(ASM Annual#19)

So yeah, one can say she's used to it :P

Either that, or he'd end the episode saying that living in New York made him want to see The Light, or whatever other bad pun lol.

And while Norman is not even 50% as obnoxious as The Light (I'm really sick of those Villain Sues lol), he's completely calm at the end of season 2, even though everything he worked for for months was gone in just one night, so while at least that episode didn't end with a bullshit "haha, the plan worked perfectly!", he's still way too calm, he should at least look a little annoyed, but not surprising Weisman decided to make a villain who never loses composure, even if it makes them not even look human.

Yeah I was wondering if it was something like that, a cartoon being episodic has the benefits of the worst stories just being forgotten, I know Avatar certainly got benefits from this lol.

Pretty sure her entire character was practically 616 MJ.

Kinda funny that this could be considered the best MJ adaptation until Spectacular.
    Is that "Dad" thing some 60s lingo or something, becuase i always been really confused by that. I remember being a teenager reading that and being really confused.

Also, i'm not surprised with May's comment, that woman had wanted grandchildren for way too long lol.

If i learned something watchig BTAS is that in spite of having some great hights, the lows were really low. Superman was more consistent in quality, even if it never has a "Heart of Ice". As for Avatar, i'm pretty sure that most of us pretend that "The Great Divide" and "Avatar Day" didn't exist (thougth i kind of like the ending of that one lol).

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not just design. She knew Clark from high school, figured out his secret, kept it from him became a jetset fashionista...

She's basically Mary Jane as she became in 616 comics at the time.
    I knew that there was a reason for my liking her.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

I knew that there was a reason for my liking her.
    STAS' Lana Lang is the only version of the character I favored over Lois, even Dana Delany's Lois (who is the definitive voice of the character). That episode "My Girl" is awesome. STAS' Lois becomes awesome in later episodes, especially "Legacy" but it takes a while for her to get there.

This bit is totally Mary Jane, a mix of '60s flighty MJ on the surface but the intelligence, compassion, and warmth of the later eras. All the foxiness of the femme fatale but with a heart of gold.

Is that "Dad" thing some 60s lingo or something, becuase i always been really confused by that. I remember being a teenager reading that and being really confused.
    Stan Lee doesn't have the best ear for youth slang (what a shocker). But using the word "Dad" comes from "daddy-o" or Daddio.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=daddy-o

That was actual '50s-60s teen slang. It's basically scat noises, you know from jazz/swing/big band music. So that's what Lee intends MJ to convey.

If i learned something watchig BTAS is that in spite of having some great hights, the lows were really low. Superman was more consistent in quality, even if it never has a "Heart of Ice".
    Well BTAS had more episodes on order than Superman. So "sturgeon's law" applies there. The creators went with Superman less sure how long it would go so they put more care to get as much as they could out of it.

And STAS does have great episodes...all the Darkseid episodes for instance.

It's either some 60's slang, or Stan Lee thinking that's what young people sounded like, and I get the feeling it's the second one lol.

Also, i'm not surprised with May's comment, that woman had wanted grandchildren for way too long lol.
    The context is not what it looks like, it's something about breakups, even then what May says sounds weird even in that context lol.

If i learned something watchig BTAS is that in spite of having some great hights, the lows were really low. Superman was more consistent in quality, even if it never has a "Heart of Ice".
    I always found it ironic, 'cause Batman's cartoon is seen as the better one overall, but Justice League got so much from Superman's and not much from Batman.

Think there was something to do with the other Batman Cartoon being made around the same time, 'cause I hear DC didn't want the same villains showing up in two different cartoons for some reason, which would explain why Joker stopped showing up, but that sucks.

I should watch that Heart of Ice though, see if it really deserves all that hype lol.

As for Avatar, i'm pretty sure that most of us pretend that "The Great Divide" and "Avatar Day" didn't exist (thougth i kind of like the ending of that one lol).
    Great Divide is such a snorefest that in the episode that has the characters going to a theater to see the some play about Avatar's adventures, they rather blatantly skipped over that story, so that showed the producers knew how much that one is disliked lol.

Avatar Day, I don't think it's that bad, but it's certainly one of the more forgettable episodes, although I did laugh on the trial, when the characters were trying to prove Avatar Kyoshi's innoncence, then when she suddenly shows up, she immediately says something like "I capped that Chin the Conqueror bitch", even funnier in the last episode when Aang talks to her and how she technically didn't kill him, she replied with "Nah, no difference, I capped him".

While it's nice this cartoon made Darkseid become known to the general public, sucks that as a consequence he's now Superman's bitch.

STAS' Lana Lang is the only version of the character I favored over Lois, even Dana Delany's Lois (who is the definitive voice of the character). That episode "My Girl" is awesome. STAS' Lois becomes awesome in later episodes, especially "Legacy" but it takes a while for her to get there.

This bit is totally Mary Jane, a mix of '60s flighty MJ on the surface but the intelligence, compassion, and warmth of the later eras. All the foxiness of the femme fatale but with a heart of gold.

Stan Lee doesn't have the best ear for youth slang (what a shocker). But using the word "Dad" comes from "daddy-o" or Daddio.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=daddy-o

That was actual '50s-60s teen slang. It's basically scat noises, you know from jazz/swing/big band music. So that's what Lee intends MJ to convey.

Well BTAS had more episodes on order than Superman. So "sturgeon's law" applies there. The creators went with Superman less sure how long it would go so they put more care to get as much as they could out of it.

Huh....suddenly Ding Dong Daddy from Teen Titans make a lot more sense lol. Thanks for the info.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

It's either some 60's slang, or Stan Lee thinking that's what young people sounded like, and I get the feeling it's the second one lol.

The context is not what it looks like, it's something about breakups, even then what May says sounds weird even in that context lol.

I always found it ironic, 'cause Batman's cartoon is seen as the better one overall, but Justice League got so much from Superman's and not much from Batman.

Think there was something to do with the other Batman Cartoon being made around the same time, 'cause I hear DC didn't want the same villains showing up in two different cartoons for some reason, which would explain why Joker stopped showing up, but that sucks.

I should watch that Heart of Ice though, see if it really deserves all that hype lol.

Great Divide is such a snorefest that in the episode that has the characters going to a theater to see the some play about Avatar's adventures, they rather blatantly skipped over that story, so that showed the producers knew how much that one is disliked lol.

Avatar Day, I don't think it's that bad, but it's certainly one of the more forgettable episodes, although I did laugh on the trial, when the characters were trying to prove Avatar Kyoshi's innoncence, then when she suddenly shows up, she immediately says something like "I capped that Chin the Conqueror bitch", even funnier in the last episode when Aang talks to her and how she technically didn't kill him, she replied with "Nah, no difference, I capped him".

While it's nice this cartoon made Darkseid become known to the general public, sucks that as a consequence he's now Superman's bitch.
    Apparently it was really 60s slang.

Yup, still weird.

If i learned something is that most things don't live up to hype, fans always exagerate, thougth overall i do think that Hearts On Ice is a pretty good episode overall, thougth Freeze's characther after could have been done a little better. The cartoon was The Batman if i remember correctly, i never watched that show completly, but what i wacth was decent, even if some of the concepts were a bit weird. I mainly remember the show for looking kinda like Jackie Chan The Animated series and the Batman vs Dracula movie (poor Bruce).

Aang's time on prison was also pretty funny, very nice of the prisioners to give him dating advice lol.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

If i learned something is that most things don't live up to hype, fans always exagerate, thougth overall i do think that Hearts On Ice is a pretty good episode overall, thougth Freeze's characther after could have been done a little better.
    Well I'm not gonna expect it to be this perfect masterpiece, otherwise I'll be disappointed, so far the only thing I watched that actually lived up to the hype was Breaking Bad, binge watched that **** lol.

I watched Avatar to see how much it lives up to the hype, it obviously didn't, but it was a fun cartoon overall, so if Heart On Ice is a good watch, I'll be satisfied.

The cartoon was The Batman if i remember correctly, i never watched that show completly, but what i wacth was decent, even if some of the concepts were a bit weird. I mainly remember the show for looking kinda like Jackie Chan The Animated series and the Batman vs Dracula movie (poor Bruce).
    I barely remember The Batman, but I always found it odd how everyone in there could fight so well, even someone like Penguin lol.

Aang's time on prison was also pretty funny, very nice of the prisioners to give him dating advice lol.
    Checking out the episode here, it was also that episode that had the Avatar fanboy character, who screamed in excitement, kept drooling and then briefly fainted, so there was that too lol.

Plus, in the scene you mentioned, to further hammer how easily Aang could escape, he removed that oversized wooden plank cuff casually while talking with the prisoners, that can also get a chuckle.

So yeah, if anything, that episode had a few funny moments, even if the Avatar Kyoshi one wasn't on purpose lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah young justice was the hype back but that too got cut short same with Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes. Hmmm superhero shows don't last long
    Unless they're Power Rangers. Only one year without new episodes since 1993 (2010, Disney wanted to cancel the show but Saban bought it back).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unless they're Power Rangers. Only one year without new episodes since 1993 (2010, Disney wanted to cancel the show but Saban bought it back).
    but power rangers is just mainly reuse footage from japan in terms of the fights scenes. Then again I never really considered them superheroes
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Swinger had a different meaning in the 60s. It was used to refer to someone who knew how to have fun and party without referring to any sexual activity. Similar to how gay used to mean happy, and then became slang for homosexual.

It's also a joke with a double meaning because Peter swings around NY as Spider-man (and per the retcon MJ knows that.)