Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
Games can be many things and if Uncharted is an interactive movie it still qualifies as a game because you can't interact with a movie.
I'm not saying that it doesn't count as a game when I call it an interactive movie. The game Detroit: Become Human was one of my favorite games of the past 5 years. What I'm saying is that going that direction for Superman, to me, doesn't crack the question of "how do you most effectively translate him to a game" the same way that the Batman and Spider-Man games do for their IPs. It feels like the answer is "you don't. You make really compelling story with linear gameplay that acts as more of a guided tour of the concept rather than a genuinely interactive experience"

Any superhero game has to be in part an interactive movie because a good part of it is you experience the character.
Not the great ones. While the story of Spider-Man PS4 is nearly excellent and very well drawn, the reason I kept playing and going back to it was the rush and feel of the finely turned gameplay, and progressing as Spider-Man. The story could honestly have just been serviceable, and that game would've still be in line for game of the year.

And any good Superman game will have to have a puzzle component, because Superman is about knowing how to best use his powers in any given moment and situation. Defusing a bomb...x-ray vision and use laser vision to micro-fry those wires carefully. How do you land a plane in tailspin, if you are Superman you push the plane against the velocity of its descent and carefully cushion it so that it lands? How does Superman solve an earthquake?
I agree. All great ideas. Doesn't mean a progression scale can't be applied.

One of the most satisfying feelings in a game is going back to an old objective that used to be beyond your character's ability for one reason or another and then reengaging it after you've upgraded both your knowledge of the game/skill and you character's ability.

The trick is to devise a level where you can solve the main puzzle in multiple ways through use of different combination of powers. That requires intricate level design.
Sure if you want to make that game, yeah. I'm not really even arguing against it.

I'm presenting an alternative that I just personally find far more compelling. I don't really see the need to go around in circles on this point when it's so simple.