Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    nice find. when was ths original eternal story written?
    Eternals were originally written in 1975 by Jack Kirby, but as far as I know, the resurrection chamber thing didn't happen until 2006 in Neil Gaiman's run(which is excellent, I love his work). It's possible it was referenced before, but I'm still working through their backstories in The Avengers.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Thanos’ prettier, currently dead, cousins.

It stands to reason that, considering Apocalypse’s beef with the Eternals, that Moira IX might have encountered and been inspired by the Eternals resurrection process.

I would also not be surprised if Xavier and Magneto had Olympia, Polaria and Oceania stripped clean of anything useful to perfecting the protocols after the Eternals killed themselves (that’s not a dig, simply practicality)
    This is what I think may be the case also. Moira and Xavier may have just co-opted the Eternals resurrection tech for themselves. It could lead to some sort of story with the Eternals if they find out about it and become angered that their resurrection process was stolen from them. Assuming the Eternals come back from the dead.

If Marvel ever does decide that Krakoa and the X-Men being able to constantly resurrect themselves needs to go, they can always just have the Eternals just take their resurrection tech away from the X-Men.
    I cant claim to know much about the Eternals.

At least I hope that the similarities are deliberate. Otherwise it does look kind of ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Gaiman gave the Eternals their resurrection protocols waaaaaay back in 2006. I'm sure they'll resurrect in the comics in time for their MCU debut.

EDIT: On deeper research, Kirby himself gave them this ability back in the very first Eternals series...
    The Resurrection Crypt was the tomb of Tecumotzin, the Eternal known as Ajak. When Ajak and his soldiers' bodies were reduced to free-floating atoms, they were sealed inside the chamber until such time that their bodies could be reconstituted.
    More info here.
    That's an interesting note. I would say that's a bit different, though. That machine basically saved them and reconstituted the same particles later, in the same space(inbetween the Hosts of the Celestials, some thousand years at least). The resurrection chamber in Gaiman's version basically 'reprints' a fresh body with new particles, and uploads the stored mind/soul, even if the Eternal is killed far away.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-04-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That's an interesting note. I would say that's a bit different, though. That machine basically saved them and reconstituted the same particles later, in the same space(inbetween the Hosts of the Celestials, some thousand years at least). The resurrection chamber in Gaiman's version basically 'reprints' a fresh body with new particles, and uploads the stored mind/soul, even if the Eternal is killed far away.
    That's the difference though...

In the "Eternals..." instance, it is a call in hopes that you can get the soul back.

Which is a "Black"/"White" difference from the mutant instance we are discussing.

Call in hopes? What are you talking about? It works everytime, as long as the machine is not damaged.

Call in hopes? What are you talking about? It works everytime, as long as the machine is not damaged.
    From panel three/four...

...To Reach Out And Call Him To Me...
    ...To Draw His Essence Into The Husk I Have Created...
    While I get that you are taking it as a "Done Deal...", here you are pulling someone's "Essence"/"Soul"/"Whatever" in hopes that they are going to come to the husk. If it was that "Done Deal..." there would be no reason to call.

...Versus the "X" version of this where we are talking about something more along the lines of the Venture boys having themselves put back into new bodies.

Sersi(a skilled matter manipulator who has been temporarily maxed out by the Sleeping Celestial so she can restore Makkari, its chosen liason, who had just been brutally murdered and the machine destroyed) is doing that one on her own, it's not the machine way. Read the stories in Eternals by Neil Gaiman and JRJr in 2006, and another volume in 2008 by Charles Knauf Daniel Knauf and Daniel Acuna.

70% of the time, it works all the time
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Sersi(a skilled matter manipulator who has been temporarily maxed out by the Sleeping Celestial so she can restore Makkari, its chosen liason, who had just been brutally murdered and the machine destroyed) is doing that one on her own, it's not the machine way. Read the stories in Eternals by Neil Gaiman and JRJr in 2006, and another volume in 2008 by Charles Knauf Daniel Knauf and Daniel Acuna.
    After said brutal murder, where was Makkari?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    After said brutal murder, where was Makkari?
    He was a pile of bloody snow.

He was a pile of bloody snow.
    No. That's not true.

Have you read all of issue #6 of the 2008 series(the one that the pages you posted are from...)?

Oo. Maybe we can get EvX out of this.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No. That's not true.

Well, we already knew this, didn't we? That's why they are called Eternals (or that's what I always assumed hahaha).

I think it's more of an inspiration thing than ripping off and it might be for a purpose, since the similarities between mutants and Eternals are pretty much out there (they also share the whole Celestial connection and they come both from baseline humans).
    Is Xavier trying to turn them into Eternals maybe?? There was a lot of talking of turning into Gods and that's pretty much what the Eternals are.

There was also some not so subtle talk about mutants merging powers together (Chimeras in Life IX and now we've seen it done by separate mutants in Life X) and Eternals can do something much similar by merging into a Unimind which requires 4 Eternals merging their powers (which also sounds a lot like the Five and the Xavier/Cuckoos/Storm/Trinary/Beast thing).

Put simply, that is not the final page in the issue it is from.

That said, where is Makkari in the pages from the first page?