Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Even Venture Bros or Age of Sigmar has similar resurrection protocols.

It is not precisely inventing the wheel.

PD: In reality they are all science fiction versions of the fantasy trope of "Liche survives as long as his pyhlactery is not destroyed, so he can rebuild his physical body." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich
    Last edited by Glio; 01-05-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    So, evidently the Eternals also have a resurrection protocol that generates a new husk and downloads their mind/soul should they somehow actually be killed/destroyed(which is very difficult due to their various powers).

And it even freaking looks like Goldball's eggs(at least when Sersi had to do it by 'hand', not the usual Celestial machine they typically use)!?

Like most people, I haven't followed the Eternals closely(they really only have a few stories anyways), but I found out Neil Gaiman wrote an Eternals story in 2006(which was, as expected, amazing, and give the origin for that Sleeping Celestial we saw the Extinction team X-Men stabilize circa the Utopia era), followed up by another writer(with Acuna art) in 2008. Both of which are most likely the main source material for the upcoming MCU version.

I'm not saying Hickman ripped this off.... but I think Hickman ripped this off.

Good points. I actually have that story. I'll have to re-read it.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Enh!
    Is ANYthing in the MU (and the DCU for that matter) truly, 100% original?
    What matters is that it's entertaining and interesting.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Put simply, that is not the final page in the issue it is from.

That said, where is Makkari in the pages from the first page?
    I know that's not the final page, but you asked what happened to his body and then said I was lying when I said he was a pile of bloody snow. There's the bloody snow. He was running back to Olympia in Antarctica when a mind-controlled Gilgamesh smashed that ass, before immediately moving on to smash the reactivation chamber.

Sersi had to use her amped powers to change her body into his while also plucking his soul from the Lacuna. They actually never explained in the final issue of this series how she came back too.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

So, evidently the Eternals also have a resurrection protocol that generates a new husk and downloads their mind/soul should they somehow actually be killed/destroyed(which is very difficult due to their various powers).

And it even freaking looks like Goldball's eggs(at least when Sersi had to do it by 'hand', not the usual Celestial machine they typically use)!?

Like most people, I haven't followed the Eternals closely(they really only have a few stories anyways), but I found out Neil Gaiman wrote an Eternals story in 2006(which was, as expected, amazing, and give the origin for that Sleeping Celestial we saw the Extinction team X-Men stabilize circa the Utopia era), followed up by another writer(with Acuna art) in 2008. Both of which are most likely the main source material for the upcoming MCU version.

I'm not saying Hickman ripped this off.... but I think Hickman ripped this off.

I hadn’t made the connection, but this seems pretty blatant now that you point it out. Hasn’t Hickman expressed interest in the Eternals? I’d love to know if this was a subconscious or coincidental choice or if it was intentional. Hoping it’s intentional for the simple fact that I’d love to see mutants come into contact/conflict with the Eternals and Deviants.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Well, we already knew this, didn't we? That's why they are called Eternals (or that's what I always assumed hahaha).

I think it's more of an inspiration thing than ripping off and it might be for a purpose, since the similarities between mutants and Eternals are pretty much out there (they also share the whole Celestial connection and they come both from baseline humans).
    Is Xavier trying to turn them into Eternals maybe?? There was a lot of talking of turning into Gods and that's pretty much what the Eternals are.

There was also some not so subtle talk about mutants merging powers together (Chimeras in Life IX and now we've seen it done by separate mutants in Life X) and Eternals can do something much similar by merging into a Unimind which requires 4 Eternals merging their powers (which also sounds a lot like the Five and the Xavier/Cuckoos/Storm/Trinary/Beast thing).
    I've been working through their appearances. It would seem for their classical era, they were just freaking eternal in the sense that they were truly immortal(which was their status quo since after their first civil war long ago, afterwich their leader was experimenting with cosmic energies, was able to concentrate it, but then it blew up, causing him to disencorporate but live on as a psionic presence, but the energy imbued the others with so much lifeforce that they were henceforth immortal). Over the years a few stories did see one or two of them 'die', but they didn't have the machine to bring them back. As best as I can tell so far that really only originates with Gaiman's series(which essentially was their modern revamp, excluding their kinda messy/kinda cute 2000 series with Apocalypse).

I do love the Uni-Mind move, man that's going to look amazing onscreen. It's even implied in some of their stories that Celestials are actually global Uni-Minds just covered in armor. It does remind me a bit of the Claremont 'ultimate intimacy', but even the various power-chain moves(like vs. the Z'Noxx, or vs. original Krakoa, for example) aren't quite the same, in that the Eternals actually fuse in mind and body and become a new being. I actually think that Silver Age Z'Noxx story and also the Giant Size X-Men combo both predate the Eternals insofar as publication goes, so I guess you could say the mutants did it first.

I would welcome more interactions between mutants and the Eternals(and given their upcoming MCU films, that might actually happen). In the last issues of their 2008 series, Ikaris teams up with the Utopia X-Men for a hot minute, and in the final issue of that series(which takes place like 100 years in the future), the Eternals do casually mention helping out the X-Nation, which is fun.

I know that's not the final page, but you asked what happened to his body and then said I was lying when I said he was a pile of bloody snow. There's the bloody snow. He was running back to Olympia in Antarctica when a mind-controlled Gilgamesh smashed that ass, before immediately moving on to smash the reactivation chamber.

Sersi had to use her amped powers to change her body into his while also plucking his soul from the Lacuna. They actually never explained in the final issue of this series how she came back too.
    What's in blue...

That is not what I asked. What I actually asked was where he was after his murder.

If what you are saying was the entirety of it, there would be nothing in the Lacuna to bring him back with.

The problem with this description is that it leaves out that on page twenty-one and twenty-two of that issue, Sersi had to remain in the Lacuna for Makkari to come back.

Which isn't really something that is like what is currently happening in the "X" titles.

Is it in the same neck of the woods? Sure, but so are a bunch of other examples(namely the Venture Bros. instance) hat have been mentioned. Some of them a good bit closer to the "X" titles.

Amazing Member

I found an image of Virako (Ikairs's father) being reborn from the resurrection chamber here: https://view-comic.com/the-new-etern...ypse-now-2000/

Unfortantly there is no page number, but its around the half way point.

Mighty Member

It's not really the same, because what is basically happening with the Eternals is that their original atoms are being collected and rebuilt. They aren't clones of themselves, they're made from the original material when they come back to life. Eternals, like Apocalypse, have a great deal of control over their bodies, molecules, so one and so forth. Sersi and Sprite are perhaps the best example of their molecular seemingly magical manipulation skills. However, for the most part, they tend to settle on certain abilities and simply lose their skill for others. I think of it like having a RPG character sheet where you can learn absolutely anything and do absolutely anything, but you only have so many skill points, and once those points are assigned that's kind of that.

Nice find Old Owl, that must be the first use of the resurrection process. But that version is a little different, it would seem, from the one Gaiman used in his series 8 years later, which does seem to actually print a new body, not recollect the dispersed atoms like this first appearance in the Apocalypse series.

That said, the mutants too are using DNA samples collected from the originals, so they too are made from the 'original material' so to speak.