Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Too much CGI in movies, even in superhero movies. Or is it bad cgi?

Avengers 1 looks great, Endgame looks like a computer game. In Black Panther, the Panther fought Michael B Jordan at the end of the movie. While the movie looked good, I had the feeling in that specific fight, there were no actors involved anymore.

Brendan Fraser making another Mummy movie would be what’s best for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Too much CGI in movies, even in superhero movies. Or is it bad cgi?

Avengers 1 looks great, Endgame looks like a computer game. In Black Panther, the Panther fought Michael B Jordan at the end of the movie. While the movie looked good, I had the feeling in that specific fight, there were no actors involved anymore.
    Everything in those films is CGI, especially when you don't even realise it is. For instance, Manhattan in Captain America: The First Avenger is just a street in my city looped to infinity. Everyone noticed the fight in Black Panther because the lighting and movements weren't quite right - with more production time, they could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I have seen worse than the first Transformers movie but it's still a very shitty movie. Doesn't make it any better.
    I don't think the first live action Transformers movie by Micheal Bay is bad at all. Now sequels are pretty bad but the first one is enjoyable.

Terminator Franchise has only one story left and no one will do it

Retired

A motion picture is usually a major industrial project. It's rare that anyone can make a feature length movie for less than a few million dollars. And most people in the world don't have a few million dollars that they can invest in a movie, which may or may not make back the money put into it.

Most movies require the work of a few hundred people and some require thousands of workers.

For example, say that a movie is filmed on location in a town outside of the Hollywood area. Some of the crew and the cast will fly in from Hollywood, but the production still needs drivers, caterers, the local police force, background actors. Everyone attached to the production will need accommodation. Locations have to be scouted for filming and local home owners and business owners will be paid for the use of their premises. Set decorators need to dress locations to suit the look of the film. Often, if a film production comes to a small town, everyone in that town is swept up in helping to get the movie made and it's a financial boost to the local economy for the period that the movie is in production.

Then after the principal photography is finished, the movie goes into post-production which will require the work of hundreds more in sound design, editing, score, effects work. Most movies now have effects that aren't noticeable. It's common to use some green screen on a location, so backgrounds can be altered to take out anything that's contrary to the setting of the film. And there's still the matter of promotion and distribution, that requires the work of still more people.

So by the time a movie hits the screen in a theatre, that movie represents the work of thousands of people--most of them ordinary folk and not famous celebrities. Movies filmed in small town locations will commonly have a showing in that town, and everyone from the community will come to see the film, to appreciate their work and their town.

On the one hand, such an industrial operation means that the idea of a film as a work of art by a singular director is a fiction. It's actually not that at all. And on the other hand, when critics pan a movie as some sort of failure by the director, what they miss is all the hard work that all those other people put into the movie. They overlook the work of key grips, best boys, set decorators, drivers, caterers, production assistants, graphics designers et al.

Everyone involved in that movie was putting something of themselves into getting it made. When critics dump on those movies, without meaning to they are dumping on the hard work of hundreds of people whose livelihood depended on the production of that movie at that time.

This is something I try to keep in mind whenever I see a movie. Even a movie that I don't like for the story it tells, I still appreciate as a major achievement by hundreds of regular folk working toward a common goal.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Friends is pretty bad
    Ditto this statement

Retired

Some movie sites make a big deal about the variable pricing on movie tickets these days. But this is nothing new. Movie tickets have always had fluctuating prices, since the very beginning.

GONE WITH THE WIND had a varying ticket pricing during its original release. I remember going to see APOCALYPSE NOW and having to pay a lot more for a ticket than any other regular movie in theatres at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Some movie sites make a big deal about the variable pricing on movie tickets these days. But this is nothing new. Movie tickets have always had fluctuating prices, since the very beginning.

GONE WITH THE WIND had a varying ticket pricing during its original release. I remember going to see APOCALYPSE NOW and having to pay a lot more for a ticket than any other regular movie in theatres at the time.
    tbh variable ticket pricing makes sense to me. most people are going to be willing to pay more for opening weekend of NWH than a ticket to Ambulance or the Northman. I'd like to say lower prices for indie movies but i'm not sure theaters can lower ticket prices more than they already have. But of course theaters have to find the sweet spot - price tickets too high and more will just shift over to waiting for the movie to come to streaming.

Anyways while there have been some nice successes in theaters lately i still feel like the whole model is doomed or at least needs a more substantial overhaul to be financially viable in the medium-term, let alone the long term. just my opinion. but if NWH and MoM had same day streaming i would not have gone to see them in the theater, sorry. Skipped Batman and just waited for it to show up on HBO.

Extraordinary Member

I actually preferred Pearl Harbor over Titanic.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Most of the Disney+ Marvel shows didn't do it for me. FTWS came the closest but couldn't stick the landing and ended up with a muddied message.

FOX had more hits than misses with X-Men, truth be told there was only 2 bad mainland X-Men movies, Dark Phoenix and X3. Apocalypse was underrated imo. MoM kinda gives me SOME hope of them transitioning into the MCU tonally intact. But I wouldn't count on it, (looking at you Blade)

The Wire was a excellent TV show but even that show had some blind spots in regards to "copaganda".

During seasons 1-3 Fear The Walking Dead was better than the mainland show...easily.

Man of Steel is a perfectly fine Superman film

Game of Thrones ending was always going to be anticlimactic to me no matter how they got to it. Also, the show started falling apart around season 5 but people was distracted by epic battles and dragons (which indeed was awesome).

The Mandalorian was just ok, nothing too special. And Grogu is such a blatant case of merchandising.

The Titans TV show was surprisingly good

Neither Suicide Squad films did anything for me. Loved the actors and the characters but everything else is not what I wanted from a SS Film. And Waller was so out of character in TSS that I just rolled my eyes. The first was a victim of studio meddling, the second one was more or less the first one, but without the meddling. Looks like the animated films are going to be the best adaptations as far as I'm concerned

Someone said Birds of Prey was more of a Margot Robbie vanity project than a proper BoP movie. And that's exactly how I would describe it.

Iron Fist season 2 is legit good.

No way Home was the only good MCU film last year.

GOTG 2 and Ragnarok are overrated and cringe AF
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 05-18-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    The Mandalorian was just ok, nothing too special. And Grogu is such a blatant case of merchandising
    Totally agree with that.

But compared to the sequel movies it sure as hell was most welcomed, even with that sad piece of merchandising they call a character.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Game of Thrones ending was always going to be anticlimactic to me no matter how they got to it. Also, the show started falling apart around season 5 but people was distracted by epic battles and dragons (which indeed was awesome).
    Hmmm, "always going to be anticlimactic" I don't know if I can agree with that because there's all sorts of ways they could have properly earned the Dany villain-turn ending (like extending the series, better writing, etc) and King Bran.

I agree that the show started falling apart well before Season 8, but I'd spare Season 5 and more say Season 6, particularly with its fan-service crowd-pleasing ending (Ramsay's death), which felt like some sad fanfic. The show really lost its ruthlessness and its attention to Martin's themes, not to mention a lot of its logic, etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-18-2022 at 10:53 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I’ve never watched any of “Pam and Tommy” and I have no intention to.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

None of the MCU movies are actually "good," but I think the spectacle of seeing characters we grew up with appearing on the big screen having overwhelming success gives people that impression. At best they are mindless entertainment, but I'm compelled to watch them out of obligation. I can't stand all the kidding around, it's like watching SNL parodies of my childhood. The comics aren't afraid to take their stories and characters seriously, so why is everything in these movies one stupid joke after another? They are family friendly slapstick comedy movies that parody the superhero genre, and they aren't even accurate to the comics. With each new entry the MCU moves further and further away from the source material, so the only "comic accurate" things in these movies are usually aesthetic choices. They butchered Hulk, they butchered Drax, and Janet Van Dyne, one of the greatest superheroes ever created, didn't get her founding spot with Hank on the Avengers, and we're supposed to believe Hope is a worthy substitute? Shang-Chi was a guy that oozed coolness of the page, he was sly, sexy, mysterious, and a great fighter. In his movie, he's just some guy. These are only a few examples. One of the reasons why I was so impressed with the Batman was that it wasn't afraid to take the source material seriously, it clearly holds a lot of reverence for the comics and almost everything in there is lifted off the page. So, it can be done. I'm not the biggest Zack Snyder fan but he at least takes his characters and universes seriously, even if not everyone shares his ideas of how they should be portrayed. And I think it's a shame that most criticism of Marvel is quickly shut down or contradicted by vehement fans, instead of discussed, especially when a large number of these fans haven't read the comic books. I think it's fair to like them but I disagree that any of them are "good."
    Last edited by James Cameron; 05-18-2022 at 11:07 AM.