Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
Inspired by the post above... CONTROVERSIAL FILM OPINION: the Star Wars films all fail in their overall mission, to restore "balance to the force." It's not balance, you're just removing the Sith to put in the Jedi. Balance, to me, would be learning to unite both, and realise both Sith and Jedi is needed to bring harmony. Hippy as hell, but it always bugged me whenever they said "restore balance." If you have one side with 11kg, and one side with 1kg; you don't balance it out by putting 10kg on the other side. You put 6kg on both. Or is that just me being crazy???

I actually really like this idea.
The problem with “balancing the Force” that way is that the dark side is populated almost exclusively by genocidal Space Nazis trying to pervert and exploit nature. It's not very hippy to say those guys should be able to just keep on committing mass murder and turning planets into rubble. It’s part of the reason Rey wanting to hold Kylo’s Han makes her come off like a Nazi-sympathizer without any self-respect or spine in TLJ.

I’ve long thought, however, that if it was suggested that what had happened was that the Sith code was split off from a working non-dark side code for the Force, and then perverted by dark side users, you could actually create a working, non-Nazi-hugging version of a “yang” to the Jedi’s “yin.”

Like, passion and self-sacrifice for others because you care about them maybe *should* be considered a light side act - especially after ROTJ.

So, this would bring me to a wider opinion for fiction outside of just Star Wars, though it’s probably not that controversial: too many creatively conservative creators will religiously adopt any kind of “The hero can’t commit to a love interest because of reasons” not because they think that’s true, but because it lets them avoid committed relationships.

I kind of hated the way Raimi Spider-Man and Webb Spider-Man tried postponing some romance across films with the “you’d be in danger,” largely because of how bluntly they treated it. MCU Spider-Man handled it a bit better just because of how deftly they managed to convey the idea, and that it was a flawed idea on Peter’s part.