Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Season 5 of Breaking Bad is the best season of the show, despite the admittedly undercooked Nazi prison gang villains.

Each episode is masterpiece after masterpiece, featuring some of the most memorable moments of the entire show (spoilers) the train robbery, taking out the police station with magnets, Walt's exile, Jessie's imprisonment, that meeting at the restaurant between Walt and Hank, Jessie revealing how he was joined his support group to sell drugs, etc.

Everyone talks about how Ozymandias was the best episode of the series, but in my opinion that honor goes to 51. Skyler might be the most underappreciated character In the show. Her guilt as an accessory to Walt's actions as a drug kingpin have been building up since season 3 and with this episode have reached the boiling point.

Retired

Some T.V. shows I've never watched (like BREAKING BAD) have been talked about so much in the public fora that I'm past the point of ever wanting to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Based on what - a bunch of 'roided out toys
    Not sure what that first part is supposed to mean, but we’ve been touching on that second part. It’s not feasible to base an entire show around just toy sales alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Some T.V. shows I've never watched (like BREAKING BAD) have been talked about so much in the public fora that I'm past the point of ever wanting to watch them.
    Your loss. Would you not watch The Godfather or Citizen Kane because they were talked about too much? Star Wars might be the most talked about movie ever, would you tell someone who never saw the OT to not bother because of all the chatter?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Not sure what that first part is supposed to mean, but we’ve been touching on that second part. It’s not feasible to base an entire show around just toy sales alone.
    roided out, as in they all look like steroid addicted, gym rats.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Your loss. Would you not watch The Godfather or Citizen Kane because they were talked about too much? Star Wars might be the most talked about movie ever, would you tell someone who never saw the OT to not bother because of all the chatter?
    I never watched “Titanic” and I’m not interested… At the time, they talked about a lot and… lack of suspens?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I never watched “Titanic” and I’m not interested… At the time, they talked about a lot and… lack of suspens?
    Are you not going to watch because you have no interest in it. Or because it was talked about too much?

Are people not going to The Batman because it is talked about too much? Is this ever a reason to not see something?

Ultimate Member

I never watched “Titanic” and I’m not interested… At the time, they talked about a lot and… lack of suspense?
    Spoiler alert. The boat sinks.

But seriously, I feel the same way. I'm just ornery and contrary by nature, and love all sorts of unpopular movies, but haven't seen (or wanted to see) Godfather, Citizen Kane or Titanic. It was at least a decade before I saw ET, and by the time I did, I was like 'meh.'

Invincible Member

Tameron Hall has a new show on Court TV called "Someone They Knew" and seems like it's a replacement "Judgement with Ashleigh Banfield". However, I'm pretty sure the set she walks around is an old "Dateline" set.

Are you not going to watch because you have no interest in it. Or because it was talked about too much?
    Probably, first and foremost, because I have no interest in it… But it’s irritating that people expect you to do something… because almost everybody does it.

And they talked so much about Titanic, I had the impression to have already seen it…

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    But seriously, I feel the same way. I'm just ornery and contrary by nature, and love all sorts of unpopular movies, but haven't seen (or wanted to see) Godfather, Citizen Kane or Titanic. It was at least a decade before I saw ET, and by the time I did, I was like 'meh.'
    I watched Citizen Kane, though… not a bad movie, but I didn’t understand the high praise about it. I guess a movie makes you feel for very personal reasons…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

I watched Citizen Kane, though… not a bad movie, but I didn’t understand the high praise about it. I guess a movie makes you feel for very personal reasons…
    Of all the movies that get talked up all the time and I haven't seen, Casablanca is the only one that intrigues me enough to give it a shot someday.

And then there are shows that are insanely popular with my generation / peer group and quoted all the time like Princess Bride that I. Cannot. Stand.

I watched both The Godfather and Citizen Kane and I consider them to be some of the most overrated movies ever. But I also consider Watchmen to be terribly overrated, so there you go.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I saw Godfather 1 in its entirety only years after GF2, and I did consider it very slightly overrated, it was great and had some very memorable performances and scenes, but sometimes the dialogue and plot felt 'old-fashioned' in not a good way, simplified and dumbed-down like in a 1930s movie. However, I think Godfather 2 is really as good as they say.

A popular movie which I think is big time overrated is Gladiator. It's not a bad movie, but the plot was pretty dumb at places, some of the dialogue was pretty banal and its take on history of Rome was quite nonsensical. Also, the final battle was weak and anticlimatic after some of the earlier fights.

Songs, much like romance scenes, can be gratuitous.

Extraordinary Member

Probably, first and foremost, because I have no interest in it… But it’s irritating that people expect you to do something… because almost everybody does it.

And they talked so much about Titanic, I had the impression to have already seen it…

Citizen Kane often gets "precedent defining" types of praise - it incorporated a genuinely mind-numbing amount of innovation in film-making at the time, with those pioneered techniques and styles impacting all successive movies. It's a bit like someone praising Jurassic Park for its CGI today; an initially dynamic and astounding achievement that has now become so commonplace that other, more basic elements of film-making and storytelling are praised for it instead.

And I think that's kind of Citizen Kane's problem compared to other Orson Welles films: strip away Welles's experimentation on the technical side, and it's another example of a "rich privileged ******* character study," and while a good one, that genre isn't as memorable or praised as some critics would prefer it would be. Like, his film Film of Evil has a much more mesmerizing story, but it wasn't the one that was as experimental as Citizen Kane, and frnakly, even a solid noir is seen as a genre film.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP