Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default If your favorite Cancelled show had continued ...

What would you have liked to see in it? Resolved plot threads, characters returning etc.?

Growing up, I was always sad that madcap BBC comedy The Goodies ended when the 70's did. (They did a few episodes on rival station ITV but that fell through).
    Had it continued into the 80's they could have satirised topics of the era such as striking coal miners, The Falklands conflict (they defeat Argentina in a wacky Tango dance assualt), the rapping/breakdancing "fad" and 80's charity records...

YOUR ideas for your lost TV shows?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    What would you have liked to see in it? Resolved plot threads, characters returning etc.?

Growing up, I was always sad that madcap BBC comedy The Goodies ended when the 70's did. (They did a few episodes on rival station ITV but that fell through).
    Had it continued into the 80's they could have satirised topics of the era such as striking coal miners, The Falklands conflict (they defeat Argentina in a wacky Tango dance assualt), the rapping/breakdancing "fad" and 80's charity records...

YOUR ideas for your lost TV shows?
    While I would not define it as my favorite show, from 199-2002, there was a syndicated shoe called "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's the Lost World". It ended on a massive cliffhanger with all of the endless realities about to be destroyed. Luckily, the head writers have posted stuff explaining how it would have continued. Basically, the character tasked with stopping the destruction would have realized at the last instant how to will it to stop and the story would have continued.

Yeah, the solutions in these situations never live up to the setup.
    Power with Girl is better.

I wish Enterprise got 3 more seasons they hit their stride with Season 4 IMO and in the Timeline getting close to the Romulan War.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

My Name is Earl ended on a cliffhanger because the producer was never told by NBC they were in danger of being cancelled. Earl was doing better ratings than 2 of the comedies kept.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

There were plans to have an A-Team reunion movie where the team finally got their pardon.

That would have been nice to see. The team also talked about continuing to do what they did even after they were pardoned in the (semi-) last episode.

It's been curious what would have happened had Doctor Who not been canceled in 1989, or had been revived a bit sooner. McCoy would have gone on for another season at least, although there would've been a new companion introduced; also stories featuring the Valeyard and Cybermen were considered (Some of these dropped stories made it into the novels and audio dramas).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Pushing Daisies. Such a unique concept and should have been on for more than 2 years.

Extraordinary Member

LOVE this thread idea.

Gilligan's Island

The cast were told that the show had been picked up for a 4th season. However, one of the network executive's wife was upset because Gunsmoke had been cancelled. The executive insisted that Gunsmoke be renewed. It went on to have many successful years. But GI was a casualty and was cancelled.

I can't imagine what they would've done in season 4 of GI, but I loved the science fiction direction they had been taking with the show. Would they have filmed a rescue for the castaways at the end of the season? Who knows. But we would've missed that tv movie where they were rescued a decade and a half later.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Well, I already know what comedy sitcom Get A Life (starring Chris Elliot) would have done had it not been cancelled, and I want to see that: "Chris would have moved out of Gus' garage and become a homeless drifter. And he would have traveled the country, in every place touching someone else's life and making it a little bit worse."
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Paper Girls. I've read the comic so I know how that comes out, but the show seemed to be going in its own direction and I honestly liked it better than the comic. Wish I could have seen where it went.

Same thing with Deadly Class.

I hope showrunners start smartening up and writing self-contained seasons with less focus on over-arching mega-storylines. That's what they're doing with Sandman, following along with the comic's format of mostly self-contained arcs. There are a few ongoing questions and mysteries, but the show could end at the conclusion of any arc and I wouldn't feel like I'd wasted my time watching it.

I would have loved to have seen another season of 24 where the Russians need Jack Bauer to do a mission for them. The season is filled with "is it the right thing to do, or not?" ensue.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I wish Enterprise got 3 more seasons they hit their stride with Season 4 IMO and in the Timeline getting close to the Romulan War.
    I would have liked to have seen T'Pol's hair get longer, but I would not have enjoyed 3 more seasons of seeing Archer pace back and forth with a stern look on his face.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Paper Girls. I've read the comic so I know how that comes out, but the show seemed to be going in its own direction and I honestly liked it better than the comic. Wish I could have seen where it went.

Same thing with Deadly Class.

I hope showrunners start smartening up and writing self-contained seasons with less focus on over-arching mega-storylines. That's what they're doing with Sandman, following along with the comic's format of mostly self-contained arcs. There are a few ongoing questions and mysteries, but the show could end at the conclusion of any arc and I wouldn't feel like I'd wasted my time watching it.
    While I guess that I've said something like this before...

The main issue with adapting that title is that there is not anything like an actual "Conclusion..." point until after the books "Hook..." actually happens(which would have been a little while after where the show left off...)

Even then, where the comic ends the arc following the hook is there to function more like a cliffhanger than a conclusion.

It was just in a tough spot where I can't think of anything from the start of the title that would have made anything like a satisfying conclusion if the show did not wind up getting a second season.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I haven't read the Deadly Class comic so I don't know how closely the show followed it. Season Only did end on a humungous cliffhanger, which was kind of a disappointing decision in a show that was never going to be a slam dunk for season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I haven't read the Deadly Class comic so I don't know how closely the show followed it. Season Only did end on a humungous cliffhanger, which was kind of a disappointing decision in a show that was never going to be a slam dunk for season 2.
    Accounting for that some of it was a little bit out of order, it actually stayed in the same ball park as the comics.

Agreed on the particular cliffhanger.

The main issue is that pretty much anything from there on in was either going to be a pretty "Well, this isn't much of an ending..." spot to end or a different cliffhanger than the one that wound up on the screen.

There was just a lot of that going on in the comic. Even the one really hard "End Of Chapter One..."/"Start Of Chapter Two..." point would probably have been a tough one to sell folks who liked the show on if they put it on the screen exactly as it was in the comic.