Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 124
  1. #106
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Shuri will be BP in BP2.

    Aww well, first the first time ever I will skip a marvel movie.
    If I had to bet money I'd say she isn't in Bp2 but will be in BP3 and going forward. They will recast Tchalla and he will haveas. focus on being King and will train her to be the next Black Panther. With her taking the mantle and joining the Avengers in stuff Post BP2.

    I wanna see the costume. the shuri suit with the spear and fur around the neck looks cool af. Anyway nobody knows what they are doing but Coogler has earned the benefit of the doubt with everything he does.

  2. #107
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,136

    Default

    No one who complains about how movies and t.v. shows are too dark and cynical these days should be taken seriously.

  3. #108

    Default

    OK, never bothered with these kinds of threads before, but after now reading the posts up until now, I'll play along:

    - Friends is a good show -- especially after its first season when they were trying too hard to be hip and quirky. The relationships of the characters and the chemistry of the ensemble are all rock solid. You can take any pairing of characters, put them in a room together, and the results were great. I especially loved how all the friends were actually friends. This is one area where I think Friends WAS "groundbreaking." Most sitcoms have some characters who don't get along with each other, but are forced to interact with each other in every episode because in Hollywood conflict = guffaws. But, in Friends, all 6 friends all got along with each other and cared about each other. That WAS groundbreaking and very refreshing, and I think that's a lot of the key to the show's continued success.

    - In contrast, I have the same reaction a lot of you do with Friends as far as The Big Bang Theory goes: I think it sucks, and I could never make myself watch it for more than a few minutes. I did watch the finale, as I try to watch finales of long running hit series, but it was pretty underwhelming to me. I guess it may have meant more to people who watched the series all the way through.

    - I vastly prefer the DCEU movies to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I don't get the love for Captain America: Winter Soldier. Good Lord, what a cliched mess that was. Nick Fury handing a flash drive to Captain America and saying "Take this...don't trust anyone... and then "dying" is something that parodies of spy movies do. They did that on an episode of Laverne and Shirley over 40 years ago.

    - Without the novelty of an interconnected movie universe, most of the Marvel movies are quite mediocre. The only decent villain the MCU had was Thanos, and he was a CGI guy who was a Darkseid ripoff in the comics, and in the movies took it a step further by ripping off Ra's Al Ghul's schtick of mass genocide in order to create a better tomorrow.

    - Musicals are great and so is live theater. They are definitely different experiences that what we're used to in standard TV and movies, and it did take me awhile to understand that, but once I did, I became a fan of both. Are musicals corny? Yes -- especially the classic ones, but that's the whole point. They are supposed to be unabashedly upbeat, cheery, positive, and life affirming, and that's why as TV and movies get more and more cynical and angry with each passing year, I appreciate old musicals and old Hollywood movies in general all the more. When I see a live theater presentation (and I live in NYC, so I get to see Broadway), I feel enriched. The productions are often amazing to see live.

  4. #109
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, never bothered with these kinds of threads before, but after now reading the posts up until now, I'll play along:

    - Friends is a good show -- especially after its first season when they were trying too hard to be hip and quirky. The relationships of the characters and the chemistry of the ensemble are all rock solid. You can take any pairing of characters, put them in a room together, and the results were great. I especially loved how all the friends were actually friends. This is one area where I think Friends WAS "groundbreaking." Most sitcoms have some characters who don't get along with each other, but are forced to interact with each other in every episode because in Hollywood conflict = guffaws. But, in Friends, all 6 friends all got along with each other and cared about each other. That WAS groundbreaking and very refreshing, and I think that's a lot of the key to the show's continued success.

    - In contrast, I have the same reaction a lot of you do with Friends as far as The Big Bang Theory goes: I think it sucks, and I could never make myself watch it for more than a few minutes. I did watch the finale, as I try to watch finales of long running hit series, but it was pretty underwhelming to me. I guess it may have meant more to people who watched the series all the way through.

    - I vastly prefer the DCEU movies to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I don't get the love for Captain America: Winter Soldier. Good Lord, what a cliched mess that was. Nick Fury handing a flash drive to Captain America and saying "Take this...don't trust anyone... and then "dying" is something that parodies of spy movies do. They did that on an episode of Laverne and Shirley over 40 years ago.

    - Without the novelty of an interconnected movie universe, most of the Marvel movies are quite mediocre. The only decent villain the MCU had was Thanos, and he was a CGI guy who was a Darkseid ripoff in the comics, and in the movies took it a step further by ripping off Ra's Al Ghul's schtick of mass genocide in order to create a better tomorrow.

    - Musicals are great and so is live theater. They are definitely different experiences that what we're used to in standard TV and movies, and it did take me awhile to understand that, but once I did, I became a fan of both. Are musicals corny? Yes -- especially the classic ones, but that's the whole point. They are supposed to be unabashedly upbeat, cheery, positive, and life affirming, and that's why as TV and movies get more and more cynical and angry with each passing year, I appreciate old musicals and old Hollywood movies in general all the more. When I see a live theater presentation (and I live in NYC, so I get to see Broadway), I feel enriched. The productions are often amazing to see live.
    I would say that some musicals are great. Some, not so much. For example, I've never been able to watch The Sound of Music, because it's opening number is so freaking terrible, as soon as I hear "The hills are alive...", I change the channel. Never even knew there were Nazi's in it until very recently.

  5. #110
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I would say that some musicals are great. Some, not so much. For example, I've never been able to watch The Sound of Music, because it's opening number is so freaking terrible, as soon as I hear "The hills are alive...", I change the channel. Never even knew there were Nazi's in it until very recently.
    oooo we deeply disagree.

  6. #111
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,557

    Default

    I love all Rodgers and Hammerstein, except for The Sound of Music. Never liked it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  7. #112
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,545

    Default

    > Modern movies are garbage
    > Modern tv is garbage
    > She-Ra, Steven Universe and The Lower Decks are better than most live-action shows
    > The CW shows got super formulaic really fast
    > Moana is the only good product Disney released in the 2010's
    > The vast majority of comic book films fail to live up to their source material
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  8. #113
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I love all Rodgers and Hammerstein, except for The Sound of Music. Never liked it.
    "It's Xmas in heaven, there's great shows on tv; The Sound of Music, twice an hour, and Jaws 1, 2, and 3"--Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.

  9. #114
    Fantastic Member Mark Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Bruce Thomas was a better live action Batman than Michael Keaton

  10. #115
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    > The vast majority of comic book films fail to live up to their source material
    Comic book source material is not sacred and, in many cases, contains outdated and outright offensive content that should never see the light of day.

  11. #116
    Fantastic Member Mark Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comic book source material is not sacred and, in many cases, contains outdated and outright offensive content that should never see the light of day.
    "Living up to" doesn't necessarily mean "slavish copying." I think it means capturing the essence of what made it great and being at least as entertaining of the original comic books.

    For example, I'd argue "Captain America: the First Avenger" lived up to the source material (Simon and Kirby) without the anti-Asian racism that permeated the original stories (and most of pop culture at the time).

    Conversely (to name just one example), "Green Lantern" didn't keep any of the old sexist or racist tropes from the silver age (Pieface being the obvious example) but also failed to capture the appealing aspects of either those stories, the GL/GA run or even the best of Johns' stuff.

  12. #117
    Chad Jar Jar Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    4,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comic book source material is not sacred and, in many cases, contains outdated and outright offensive content that should never see the light of day.
    I'm not sure how anyone can interpret my statement as advocating that film makers put regressive content in their work, even if what I was saying was vague. What I'm saying is that the vast majority of comic book films would be considered mediocre stories if they were told in a modern comic book. Now the vast majority of comic books are mediocre, but we don't celebrate or value them anywhere near as much as people claim they do with some of these films.

    I'm still waiting for a comic book movie to captures the source material like Tom King or Grant Morrison.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few necks." - Wonder Woman, probably

  13. #118
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Comic book source material is not sacred and, in many cases, contains outdated and outright offensive content that should never see the light of day.
    I don't think wanting more things pulled from the source material or more accuracy in some cases means the offensive content is also desired. There is a wide spectrum of things fans want and different ways they'd accept it.

    Like if we wanted some more pre-Crisis stuff in Wonder Woman like the Amazon tech or kangas or Holliday Girls, it shouldn't be assumed that fans asking for that stuff also want to see Egg-Fu show up. There is no rule that we have to have a "all or nothing" mentality with this older stuff.

  14. #119
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,433

    Default

    I remember what Revolutionary_Jack said about expecting too much from superheroes. I feel like that point is especially apparent in procedurals and prime time soaps.

    Not matter how tangentially related to their profession it is, the detective/doctor/lawyer/whatever will always be called to investigate/examine whatever hot topic is in the news.

    It's especially hilarious for detectives when there isn't even a crime committed, and they're still on the case.

  15. #120
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Man of Steel, Star Trek 09 and The Force Awakens have one big thing in common: all are significantly better than their follow up in terms of strengths and weaknesses, but get unreasonably tarred by detractors of the second film for mistakes that the first film didn’t make.

    Don’t get me wrong; none of those films are perfect, and all *do* have common issues with their successor films - Man Of Steel’s bleakness grew into the miasma of sorrow in BvS, Star Trek 09 was a bit too rushed in its hurry to move the plot in a way that Into Darkness will amp up, and The Force Awakens left enough mystery boxes on the table an apathetic and autonomous sequel could burn everything down.

    But... in general, all those first films have much better handles of their characters, plot consistency, and how to liven up and embrace the classic archetypes of their franchises.

    Man Of Steel shouldn’t be blamed for Lex Luthor sucking so much when Zod was excellent, Star Trek 09 has better character dynamics than Into Darkness and should be acknowledged for that, and The Force Awakens actually simply uses and writes ALL of the characters better and is far more progressive than TLJ, where Luke is wasted where Han wasn’t, Rey is forced into an abusive relationship the film presents as realistic when it isn’t, and Finn’s simply better than anything in TLJ.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •