Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Actors lip syncing to someone else singing is just bad. There are so many actors who are good singers that this is not a issue. Just look at Garfield in Tick, Tick Boom, or Jackman in Les Miz.
    To be fair, Hugh Jackman is a musical theatre performer, who became famous for film acting. But he's incredibly versed and trained in singing.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    To be fair, Hugh Jackman is a musical theatre performer, who became famous for film acting. But he's incredibly versed and trained in singing.
    So are many actors. Many who went to places like Julliard can act and sing. So the whole idea is find actors and let someone sing for them is ludicrous. There are plenty of actors who are good singers. Look at movies like Chicago and La La Land, actors doing their own singing and doing it well. Look at Sing, those were mostly actors not known for singing, and singing their hearts out.
    They put Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and had someone else sing for her. But first of all, Hepburn could sing okay. And the thing is the actress who played Eliza on Broadway was more than capable of playing the roll. That would be Julie Andrews.
    This isn't so much as Controversial as it is just wrong.

As for stunts, actors don't do their own stunts mainly because it is too dangerous, it's apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-19-2022 at 03:21 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A serialized show should have no more than 13 episodes and six seasons.
    The Sopranos' 6th season had 21 episodes. Do you think it would've benefited from 8 less?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Season 6 was the best season of the Sopranos

Season 5 was the best season of Breaking Bad

Season 5 of the Wire was better than seasons 3 and 1, and was overall the funniest season of the show.

Lost always suffered from poor writing.

The Brenda and Nate subplot from Six Feet Under was the only saving grace of the show. Claire and Ruth's arcs meander endlessly, and David becomes an effeminate stereotype.

Showgirls, Catwoman, and Superman The Quest For Peace are bangers.

Psycho 2 is far superior to the original Psycho, and this is coming from a Hitchcock fan.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 01-24-2022 at 02:11 PM.

BANNED

Currently watching "Station Eleven" on HBO Max, like the actress from "Halt and Catch Fire" (also the nerdy white girl in the "Black Mirror" VR/matrix romance episode set mostly in an '80s arcade virtual world). Controversial(?) opinion: I love apocalypse movies/shows that show how the world began to and then eventually did collapse. I love all those bits. The drip drip of the information, the slow realization, the panic, the chaos, the fear and planning and running, all of it. Love it. This show did that very well in the pilot and as the story jumps around between the Before and the Now we're treated to expansions of that bit as the season goes on.

However. I cannot stand the letdown of following the personal story of the protagonists after the apocalypse and their struggle to find hope/love/religion/meaning/etc. This show, for example, involves a heaping helping of following the exploits of a theater troupe traveling around a Great Lake and their struggles and personal relationships. Exploring deep themes about love, loss, abandonment, art, blah blah I get it. In the right context I can enjoy that story. After I just watched society collapse? Your follow-up comes off as pretty weak. This isn't just this show (which I'm still enjoying, about to watch the finale), there are quite a few of them who do this. First I remember is the TV mini-series "the Stand" (doesn't age well, but some really great casting). After Captain Trips I just don't care about your guitar-strumming old woman and her farm, or the battle for good vs evil. Seems quaint.

Retired

There are some pretty odd "ghost singing" moments in movies.

Debbie Reynolds was dubbed by Betty Noyes in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)--which is the height of irony if you know the movie. Reynolds then went on to have a number 1 hit with "Tammy" and sang that song in the movie TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR (1957). Apparently Eddie Fisher was unhappy that she topped him on the charts. Reynolds was a triple-threat--could act, sing and dance.

Natalie Wood was dubbed by Marni Nixon in WEST SIDE STORY (1961) but then did her own singing in GYPSY (1962).

I've never seen Woody Allen's EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU (1996), but apparently while Allen was able to get other actors to do their own singing, Drew Barrymore insisted on being dubbed--Olivia Hayman did the singing. Yet Barrymore has done her own singing in other movies, including my favourite movie MUSIC AND LYRICS (2007). Okay maybe Barrymore isn't a professional singer but I think for the sake of verisimilitude she should have sucked it up and done her own singing for that Allen movie. I guess he just doesn't have Hugh Grant's charm.

I liked Shrek, but I think Angels in the Outfield is the better film.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    The Sopranos' 6th season had 21 episodes. Do you think it would've benefited from 8 less?
    I didn't watch The Sopranos, so I can't say. I have watched a lot of shows that lasted way too long and might have been better with a shorter episode and season count.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I liked Shrek, but I think Angels in the Outfield is the better film.
    Angels in the Outfield. It says it's okay to cheat in Sports. Just because they're angels doesn't mean they should get in the way of the fair play and help one team over another. Why is it okay for angels to cheat?
    If it was demons, people would say it is a terrible thing to help one team win, angels shouldn't get a pass on being cheaters and punishing another team who are playing within the rules.

And what they Hell do those two movies have anything to do with each other? Your opinion isn't controversial, it's just bizarre.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I actually don’t think it’s a negative for a tv show or film to be “corny”.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The Brenda and Nate subplot from Six Feet Under was the only saving grace of the show. Claire and Ruth's arcs meander endlessly, and David becomes an effeminate stereotype.
    To me it was the exact opposite and one of my favorite things about the show was how is subverted expectations (and cliches) set up by the first episode.

In Ep 1, it looked like wise free spirits Nate and Brenda would be the voice of the wisdom and David would be the unhappy, judgmental, deeply closeted gay brother.

By the end of the series, we saw that Brenda was in many ways a mental case, Nate was a horndog scoundrel and David had come out, entered into a more or less happy stable marriage and began raising a loving family.

I don't know how controversial this one is because I mostly lost interest after the third film.

Princess Leia shouldn't have been Luke's sister.

The other would be jedi should have been Han Solo who's been using the force unconsciously all this time in his flying skills, and with the help of Yoda's voice, awakenings to full force ability within the carbonite block freeing himself. Not by being freed by the others.

Inspired by the post above... CONTROVERSIAL FILM OPINION: the Star Wars films all fail in their overall mission, to restore "balance to the force." It's not balance, you're just removing the Sith to put in the Jedi. Balance, to me, would be learning to unite both, and realise both Sith and Jedi is needed to bring harmony. Hippy as hell, but it always bugged me whenever they said "restore balance." If you have one side with 11kg, and one side with 1kg; you don't balance it out by putting 10kg on the other side. You put 6kg on both. Or is that just me being crazy???

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    The other would be jedi should have been Han Solo who's been using the force unconsciously all this time in his flying skills, and with the help of Yoda's voice, awakenings to full force ability within the carbonite block freeing himself. Not by being freed by the others.
    I actually really like this idea.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I preferred the Last Jedi over Force Awakens. Finn's arc would have been better if he had to choose between Rey and the Resistance. I never saw Rey as having feeling for Kylo in that movie. It's more of a G-rated version of Jessica Jones and Killgrave to me. I prefer her being nobody than Palpatine's granddaughter. But her being Luke's daughter who crash landed on Jakku a year before the film solves a ton of her problems. You could even give her and Finn a Aang-Katara like dynamic. She could be his first teacher in the Force.

I liked Thor Ragnarok but it reads like two different films stitched together.

Killmonger is more Pyro than Magneto to me.

Iron Fist would've been better off as a Daredevil supporting character before getting his own show. He would've been Matt's Robin/Nightwing. I'm iffy on him getting his own show because he always worked better as a supporting player than the lead. After his show got canceled I would've preferred if he joined SHIELD as a new recruit. He and Hawkeye should've swapped places. They would've been better off on each other's teams and tone. Iron Fist is the wrong fit for a gritty crime drama to me.

I'm fine with a Kraven spinoff.

Venom would've been better off if he didn't fight symbiotes in his films. Or atleast fight them more sparingly.

Bleach should've ended after Soul Society.

Naruto was the least interesting character in his own franchise.

Netflix Death Note was a bigger failure than Dragon Ball Evolution. That movie should've been a Gohan film instead of making Goku Peter Parker.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-24-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I actually don’t think it’s a negative for a tv show or film to be “corny”.
    agree.

One of my favorite movies is "Meet The Deedles" with the late Paul Walker. It's one of the corniest movies you'll ever see but I laugh all the way through it.