Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The problem with “balancing the Force” that way is that the dark side is populated almost exclusively by genocidal Space Nazis trying to pervert and exploit nature. It's not very hippy to say those guys should be able to just keep on committing mass murder and turning planets into rubble. It’s part of the reason Rey wanting to hold Kylo’s Han makes her come off like a Nazi-sympathizer without any self-respect or spine in TLJ.

I’ve long thought, however, that if it was suggested that what had happened was that the Sith code was split off from a working non-dark side code for the Force, and then perverted by dark side users, you could actually create a working, non-Nazi-hugging version of a “yang” to the Jedi’s “yin.”

Like, passion and self-sacrifice for others because you care about them maybe *should* be considered a light side act - especially after ROTJ.
    I think Lucas definitely had this in mind with regard to bringing balance to the Force. The Sith aren't the "yang" to the Jedi's "yin." Rather the Jedi have lost their balance by trying to trap "the living force" by way of rigid dogma. Anakin fell because his love for Padme was possessive and thus easily exploited; Luke succeeds because his love for his friends and his father is self-sacrificing. But no strict dogma can tell you when exactly one thing becomes the other; Luke is on the precipice in the Throne Room scene and he has to work it out for himself.

Retired

Have you ever seen THIS IS THE END (2013) directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen? I watched it when I was going through a series of movies about the end of the world.

Seth Rogen plays himself--most of the actors play themselves. Things get progressively whackier as the movie goes along. Early on in the movie Rogen has scenes with Jay Baruchel. Rogen is the Canadian who went Hollywood; Baruchel is the Canadian who has tried to stay out of Hollywood and stick to his Canadian roots. Which is kind of true in real life--although Baruchel has certainly taken a lot of American work and he's no Gordon Pinsent.

I think everything starting their own cinematic universe isn't a bad idea. It could really lead to a lot of great films. Of course, there'd be the inevitable copying off of Marvel lines, but it doesn't matter since the idea itself is compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I think everything starting their own cinematic universe isn't a bad idea. It could really lead to a lot of great films. Of course, there'd be the inevitable copying off of Marvel lines, but it doesn't matter since the idea itself is compelling.
    They need a more distinct vision than copying Marvel's approach.

Retired

Sad for Krzysztof Kieślowski that he didn't live to see his out of the box idea of having a series of films that are all interconnected in the same cinematic universe find its way into the mainstream.

But Kieślowski's way seems the best way to me. With a single auteur behind the whole series, then you get movies that stand up as works of art. If you have movies being made according to a production studio's standards, then it's more commerce less art.

And not every movie should have to be in a cinematic universe to get funding and distribution. We still need stand alone movies that tell one story and then are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Sad for Krzysztof Kieślowski that he didn't live to see his out of the box idea of having a series of films that are all interconnected in the same cinematic universe find its way into the mainstream.

But Kieślowski's way seems the best way to me. With a single auteur behind the whole series, then you get movies that stand up as works of art. If you have movies being made according to a production studio's standards, then it's more commerce less art.

And not every movie should have to be in a cinematic universe to get funding and distribution. We still need stand alone movies that tell one story and then are done.
    I'd be down if Del Toro just did the Dark Universe on his own. Or just merge it with Hellboy and the Mignola stuff.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-29-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They need a more distinct vision than copying Marvel's approach.
    I mean…that’s just what people are going to whine about, not what actually happens.

I'd rather they follow the MCU than the Godzilla Monsterverse. Because I'd like them to make, you know, good movies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Every movie could probably benefit from Snydercut type treatment and having multiple versions.

Every movie could probably benefit from Snydercut type treatment and having multiple versions.
    Why would movies, where the director has control over the editing, like Scorsese or Spielberg or Wes Anderson or Del Toro, need another version?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Maybe just franchise films. They are more likely to be messed with.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-30-2022 at 11:04 AM.

I think a “master race vibe” isn’t necessary when they’re committing genocide on their own populace as a “message” about the dictatorial regime, enslaving people all over the place, and we’re formed by masterminding a giant false flag operation that got millions killed…
    That makes them a brutal regime... but not Nazis. Stalin killed more of his own people than the Nazis, didn't make him a Nazi metaphor.

Fascism is fascism.
    True. But not all fascism is Nazism. I merely said I never got a Nazi metaphor vibe from Vadar, etc in Star Wars. Now to be clear, I've not see the new ones (I saw "A Force Awakens" and knew this new wave was not for me); so maybe there parallel's were there in those films, but I was specifically talking about Vadar's Imperial time period.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Vader's name is Germanic, he wears a Nazi helmet and his men are called Storm Troopers, but you don't see the Nazi analogy??

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Vader's name is Germanic, he wears a Nazi helmet and his men are called Storm Troopers, but you don't see the Nazi analogy??
    Those are all excellent points actually... but no, I never ever got a metaphor for the Nazis. I mean who would Vader be a stand in for, in history from the Nazis? The story structure I just... don't see this as a metaphor of the Rebels being the Allies and the Imperials being the Nazis (beyond obvious cosmetic inspiration). Am I really the only one who sees no connection????
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I don't think it was a WWII analogy, just using Nazis as a bases for the Empire. A kind of what if Nazis were in Space.
    And the rebels were literally called the resistance