Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I, personally, don’t think things like Watchmen or The Boys have one singular point that makes it valid for people to say “but you missed the point!”
    I can't really speak to The Boys, but if your take away from Watchman is only how awesome Rorschach is, then you probably missed the point.

A lot of Friends is not good, but the stuff that is good is worth watching.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've looked up this guy and the only connection he has to Batman is voicing James Gordon in a few animated movies.
    He's just a character actor who's been in tons of stuff, he was in the movie Hallpass and a neat bit of trivia is that he was in Army Of Darkness as one of the little mini Ash characters resembling Bruce Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I can't really speak to The Boys, but if your take away from Watchman is only how awesome Rorschach is, then you probably missed the point.
    I suppose it depends on one's definition of "awesome." If, by "awesome," one means a compelling and flawed, perhaps even tragic, figure, I think that's legitimate. If one means "I want to be like him," that's definitely missing the point.

Most of Game of Thrones is terrible.

You watched most of it even though you thought it was terrible? You must love punishment. I don't know if I could hate watch that much.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You watched most of it even though you thought it was terrible? You must love punishment. I don't know if I could hate watch that much.
    Depends on the person.

Even when it was pretty likely that the final season of Preacher was going to continue a trend of being pretty bad?

Still wanted to give it a chance to do something redeeming.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Depends on the person.

Even when it was pretty likely that the final season of Preacher was going to continue a trend of being pretty bad?

Still wanted to give it a chance to do something redeeming.
    Did you think most of it was terrible?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Studios are usually not to blame for things not working, unless they give up on them.

Did you think most of it was terrible?
    The only things about it that were not absolutely terrible were one or two moments of Gilgun playing Cassidy.

You just won the thread.

Studios are usually not to blame for things not working, unless they give up on them.
    Not true. There are so many stories of Studio interference that caused a movie to be bad. And there are just as many stories of a director or producer going against what the Studio wanted, which would have ruined the movie.
    There are also times the Studio saved a movie.
    But what you said is factually not true.

^Think that's pretty much the career of Orson Welles in a nutshell.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You just won the thread.
    Sometimes the truth will win out.

Extraordinary Member

Not true. There are so many stories of Studio interference that caused a movie to be bad. And there are just as many stories of a director or producer going against what the Studio wanted, which would have ruined the movie.
    There are also times the Studio saved a movie.
    But what you said is factually not true.
    Studio “interference” can only be good or bad, while the third, more likely option for what they do is “nothing” in a practical sense, which is a different, more passive problem. At the same time, studios tend to be hands off when they trust the creators, which both means that their interference accompanies problems that are likely already present, and that they still bear some responsibility for badly made movies form people they trusted, though that’s a much lesser fault on their part.

But then there’s the question of how a studio should be viewed for larger franchises with different creators, since then the studio becomes the most important actor in cohesive storytelling and quality control, and arguably has more input on how the whole project comes together…

So, for instance… I would blame Rian Johnson for most of The Last Jedi’s numerous problems and the poisonous changes to the story of the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy (where it became more sexist, racist, elitist, dumber and less resonant), while LFL would only bear some negligence for allowing TLJ’s stench when it comes to just TLJ… but LFL’s greater interference on TROS puts more of that film’s issue on them then some people want to admit* while they also become the biggest party at fault for the overall ST failing. They also deserve some blame for the BTS issues that worsened Solo’s performance.

The counter, of course is that they also deserve some serious respect for the turn around into The Mandalorian and other Disney + shows, and are documented to have interfered intelligently for Rogue One (arguably the best Disney-era Star Wars film by far.)

*Side note on this: JJ Abrams gets ragged on way too much considering how consistently good most of his stuff is, even if it rarely approaches great. The guy is a flawed creator, yes, but he’s still a strong hand with most properties he’s given, his lack of originality honestly isn’t an issue with established properties, and as much of a pain-in-the-ass as a mystery box can be… it’s not really an issue if someone just bothers to give them good enough answers. Khan in STID wasn’t a bad reveal and was still better than most Star Trek films, MI:3 was excellent in resurrecting that franchise, and TFA was very good but spoiled by TLJ being a hipster’s idea of Star Wars.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP