Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Your post made me remove my Watchmen Companion (DC) from my Amazon shopping cart
    For what it's worth, I believe Gibbons participated in that book, so maybe just pick up a used copy?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    -- Superhero movies as entertaining as a lot of them are, are indeed contributing to the death of cinema, and it's okay to enjoy the movies and accept that at the same time.
    It's not really super hero movies that's doing it. It's the whole franchising as a concept that the MCU pulled off with such unprecedented success.

Studios are slightly more interested in your film if you can sell it as a profitable franchise with sequels and spin offs rather than a well told stand alone cinematic story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I agree 100% about musicals. The only one I actually enjoyed watching is the South Park movie.
    I would suggest the only good musicals are the ones that make fun of them harshly. Spamalot, Book of Mormon, etc.

The rest, including all forms of theater, are mostly garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    No it isn't. It's the basis for this entire thread. I really don't need to preface anything here with something like 'Well, in my opinion....' when the entire rationale behind this thread is putting controversial opinions across. It's even in the thread title.

I've never come across a musical that I didn't find terrible and corny. Sorry you don't like that.
    Well Ouch! :O
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I want more superhero musical episodes like the one they did with Flash and Supergirl. Or the the Agent Carter one. My only complaint about that was they didn't do enough singing. Maybe they could do one with Batwoman and Supergirl.

For those who hate musicals did any of you ever watch any of the TV show Crazy Ex Girlfriend which featured anywhere from 2-5 musical numbers a week? Many were often spoofs of other songs - they turned the saddest song in Les Miserables into a song about a woman using a vibrator because her husband couldn't get her off. Overall it was a great show that despite its musical numbers was one of the most realistic portrayals of mental illness I've ever seen on film. The music though, some of them were truly great and funny.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    For those who hate musicals did any of you ever watch any of the TV show Crazy Ex Girlfriend which featured anywhere from 2-5 musical numbers a week? Many were often spoofs of other songs - they turned the saddest song in Les Miserables into a song about a woman using a vibrator because her husband couldn't get her off. Overall it was a great show that despite its musical numbers was one of the most realistic portrayals of mental illness I've ever seen on film. The music though, some of them were truly great and funny.
    If I don't like musical films why would I ever want to watch a musical show?

BANNED

I like watching some old musicals, like Singin' in the Rain, Meet Me in St. Louis. But I really don't think there's been a good musical since...since, I guess My Fair Lady (and even that's on the weaker side). In older musicals, you had actual broadway performers acting and dancing for real, with many of them as choreographers. Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire were choreographers who created those dances and moves. In Singin' in the Rain, that's Gene Kelly for real actually dancing and singing in the rain. That entire dance was something he created for the camera.

Whereas modern musicals usually cast actors in roles that require them to sing and dance, and it's not the same. It has no liveliness to it because the performers have no training to express themselves in song and dance, in rhythm and beat. It's just actors who are miming or imitating rather than expressing something transcendent.

As for a superhero musical. The Fred Astaire musical THE BAND WAGON, had a finale, called Girl Hunt, which did Film Noir as a musical, and boy does it work. The classic archetypes of Private Eye and Femme Fatale are conveyed wordlessly. SO a superhero musical has to work in the same fashion, distill archetypes and moments in song and dance.

This number inspired Michael Jackson's Moonwalker phase...

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Well Ouch! :O
    Yeah! Now git orf mah lawn!

Grumble, grumble etc and so on and so forth.....
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Astonishing Member

Nobody should ever plan a Master of the Universe movie ever again. The movie will fail, its unfilmable. Its just not possible to find a good He-Man, and they will try to make him a young guy and fail miserably. So much potential, but....no. It cannot do justice.

Watchmen the series was the best show in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If I don't like musical films why would I ever want to watch a musical show?
    Just curious because Crazy Ex Girlfriends number were often comedy and parodies. Someone earlier said they didn't mind South Park or Book of Mormons numbers because they were spoofs. Crazy Ex Girlfriend was the same. Like this song. Its a spoof of Disney princess songs and musically could have come right out of Snow White but has lyrics like "my vibrator breaking when I need it most" and a woman out jogging who gets poop cramps, period cramps, and her undies smell like a sewer rat. Also in reality no one in this show ever actually breaks out in song. Its all in the main characters head as when she gets stressed she retreats into her mind and imagines she lives in a musical.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is for people (like me) who don't like musicals but were often forced to watch them. A lot of their spoofs on musicals were spot on about what I hated about those shows in particular.

That said, the show still randomly broke out into song at times, which is something people who don't like musicals don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Nobody should ever plan a Master of the Universe movie ever again. The movie will fail, its unfilmable. Its just not possible to find a good He-Man, and they will try to make him a young guy and fail miserably. So much potential, but....no. It cannot do justice.

Watchmen the series was the best show in 2019.
    People were saying that about Lord of the rings back in the day nothing is impossible.

Righteous Gemstones was the best thing on tv this last year. And danny McBride is brilliant. Lol deal with it.

LOVED watchmen too

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    -- Superhero movies as entertaining as a lot of them are, are indeed contributing to the death of cinema, and it's okay to enjoy the movies and accept that at the same time.
    The rise of streaming and the freedom it allows for creators compared to working for the old TV networks back in the day, coupled with advancements in home entertainment technology, have done far more to hurt cinema than superhero movies. If anything said movies are keeping cinema alive.