Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

For the comic book movie and television genre to survive, it is necessary for filmmakers and showrunners to push characters and make changes that comic book readers will likely not understand (or just plain be pissed off by) to draw in the general public, who is the audience these projects really need.

Also, Dune is the pretentious man's sci-fi movie.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

The problem is comic book movies draw on a thin sliver of what's available in comic books. I'd like to see them looking for material in the wider landscape.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    None of the MCU movies are actually "good," but I think the spectacle of seeing characters we grew up with appearing on the big screen having overwhelming success gives people that impression. At best they are mindless entertainment, but I'm compelled to watch them out of obligation. I can't stand all the kidding around, it's like watching SNL parodies of my childhood. The comics aren't afraid to take their stories and characters seriously, so why is everything in these movies one stupid joke after another? They are family friendly slapstick comedy movies that parody the superhero genre, and they aren't even accurate to the comics. With each new entry the MCU moves further and further away from the source material, so the only "comic accurate" things in these movies are usually aesthetic choices. They butchered Hulk, they butchered Drax, and Janet Van Dyne, one of the greatest superheroes ever created, didn't get her founding spot with Hank on the Avengers, and we're supposed to believe Hope is a worthy substitute? Shang-Chi was a guy that oozed coolness of the page, he was sly, sexy, mysterious, and a great fighter. In his movie, he's just some guy. These are only a few examples. One of the reasons why I was so impressed with the Batman was that it wasn't afraid to take the source material seriously, it clearly holds a lot of reverence for the comics and almost everything in there is lifted off the page. So, it can be done. I'm not the biggest Zack Snyder fan but he at least takes his characters and universes seriously, even if not everyone shares his ideas of how they should be portrayed. And I think it's a shame that most criticism of Marvel is quickly shut down or contradicted by vehement fans, instead of discussed, especially when a large number of these fans haven't read the comic books. I think it's fair to like them but I disagree that any of them are "good."
    The MCU is basically just theme park versions of those characters. The none Disney+ shows actually felt more tonally diverse imo. And was on more than one occasion better than the films. For instance Daredevil is STILL the best over all Marvel show.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    The MCU is basically just theme park versions of those characters. The none Disney+ shows actually felt more tonally diverse imo. And was on more than one occasion better than the films. For instance Daredevil is STILL the best over all Marvel show.
    Daredevil is probably the best thing to come out of the MCU. I agree that the D+ shows are more tonally diverse, but not much of an improvement in quality (imo) . At this point they have found their audience that will always show up to watch the movies and shows, I'm just bummed that after decades of incredible stories from incredible creators, Marvel uses the MCU to represent itself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The problem is comic book movies draw on a thin sliver of what's available in comic books. I'd like to see them looking for material in the wider landscape.
    I guess it just depends on what they find that could be adaptable. The constraints could be due to budget, time, or what they feel the general public would go for.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

It seems like we've been promised a Sgt. Rock movie and a Blackhawk movie since the 1980s and yet neither of these ever materialize. Or when we do get a different comic book genre it turns out to be a failure like JONAH HEX.

On the other hand, ROAD TO PERDITION and A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE did arguably well as adaptations.

Astonishing Member

The real reason most fanboys hate certain female casting decisions for comic book properties is because they don't find who was chosen f*ckable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I actually preferred Pearl Harbor over Titanic.
    This right here

Astonishing Member

The Fountain is Hugh Jackman's best movie.

Retired

I think some folks go overboard in pointing out all the boom mikes, shadows on the wall, reflections in a toaster that happen in movies and T.V. shows. This is the state of film criticism these days--where people seem to think picking apart any flaws like these is the business of a critic and not bothering to actually think about the artistic purpose of the work.

Moreover, I wonder if it's a waste of time keeping the boom mike out of the shot. There are lots of conceits in film that we buy into--things that should take us out of the movie yet don't. Editing, multiple camera angles, colour saturations, enhanced sound, music that is not diegetic etc. All these artificial devices should distance us from the story but they don't. It's like Brechtian theatre, which intentionally does things to distance the audience yet actually fails to do so--because we want the story. When we watch "Spectre of the Gun," the fake set doesn't take us out of the story, because we're invested in the action.

If boom mikes, shadows and reflections were common place in everything we saw, we would soon stop being bother by those things--they would just be elements we accept as part of the medium, like lens flare.

I didn’t care for any of Ross’ relationships on Friends.
    I often found myself wondering why he didn’t simply eat the other 5 instead. He was the largest friend.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Define that please.

There are quite a few movies that started off as comics but get ignored because DC or Marvel logo is not there.

Men in Black & Two Guns were comics before movies.

Also there is the factor of what is in the comics and what was kept out of said comics that is an issue.

How many comics exclude POC?

How many comics wrote them as offensive stereotypes? Ebony White got left out of The Spirit movie for a reason.

So for those who scream the movies need to follow the comics-will never get that.

If Marvel was to do that-how long are we suppose to wait till a POC shows up? Does Falcon have to stay MIA until Cap America has introduced Red Skull and 4-5 other foes?
    Are we REALLY going to wait till Peter Parker has introduced Venom and all his rivals before we SNIFF Miles Morales?
    When does John Stewart, Black Lightning, Vixen and Cyborg show up in DC? What about Harley? Babs? Huntress? Tim? Jason?

While edgelords who do not want POC(mainly black folks) around would LOVE that-that is a good way to alienate everyone else-who won't bother to wait.

And that is NOT even discussing LGBTQA+ and female characters.

Retired

Essentially what I meant was there's more genres in comic books than just super-heroes and crime drama.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Daredevil is probably the best thing to come out of the MCU. I agree that the D+ shows are more tonally diverse, but not much of an improvement in quality (imo) . At this point they have found their audience that will always show up to watch the movies and shows, I'm just bummed that after decades of incredible stories from incredible creators, Marvel uses the MCU to represent itself.
    I said the NONE Disney+ shows
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 06-19-2022 at 09:22 PM.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The real reason most fanboys hate certain female casting decisions for comic book properties is because they don't find who was chosen f*ckable.
    I have the opposite problem, I think actresses like Natalie Portman, Gal Gadot, and Scarlet Johansson are all very uhm, well attractive physically. But goddamn if they aren't all one step away from models as far as their abilities to actually act and make me believe anything they're doing is real.

I get it, you want butts in seats and people are simple creatures. Your Scarlets and Portmans (and Hemsworths and Evanses) sell tickets. But I'd prefer if they gave these roles to actors and actresses with a little more there than the pretty. Pretty is sadly a given, but there are plenty of pretty/handsome people who also can sell a story.