Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
    Retired

I saw ROAD WARRIOR when it first came out. I remember my film studies prof. being over the moon--she loved that movie a lot. It was something that everyone was talking about.

The original MAD MAX had been dubbed in North America--because people here are too stupid to understand a different accent. That was shown at a second run theatre and I saw it then, around the time that ROAD WARRIOR was playing.

It's not as impressive and it's hard to figure how that Mad Max became the Road Warrior. But for a small budget Australian movie it was pretty good.

I was really stoked for BEYOND THUNDERDOME. It's not as good as ROAD WARRIOR, but what could be? It was still a cool movie to see in 1985.

I'm gonna repeat something Christopher Lambert said at a 2016 convention that I agree with...Highlander 2 is a good movie, its just a horrible sequel. When he did press for the movie at the time he was honest about that, and that it had nothing to do with Highlander 1.

I mean...if you look at it on those terms, its kinda fun. Mostly to see MacLeod and Ramirez reunited.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I'm gonna repeat something Christopher Lambert said at a 2016 convention that I agree with...Highlander 2 is a good movie, its just a horrible sequel. When he did press for the movie at the time he was honest about that, and that it had nothing to do with Highlander 1.

I mean...if you look at it on those terms, its kinda fun. Mostly to see MacLeod and Ramirez reunited.
    You also need to watch the original cut and not the one that was butchered by the studio. Highlander the Quickening has a lot of great things going for it. Overall it is pretty disconnected from the previous film, and doesn't capture that same emotion, but it's still a delight.

I'm actively searching for the open matte 35mm version of Highlander 2. I have seen scans of it and I know it exists but I would really like to watch it.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

The real objective is to get to where you can't tell the difference between animation and real life. That's what they want. They want a technology where they don't need to use anyone or anything from the natural world and they can do it all on a computer. They don't need to pay actors or pay for filming locations--they can just do it with a bank of computers.

But is this all for entertainment? No, I've decided. Getting people to buy into the animation at each stage is just the way to pay for it along the way. What they really want is the technology to create a false reality. That's the ultimate goal.
    This is an obvious statement that doesn’t require all the conspiracy theory shenanigans. If there is a technology that can do a job faster and cheaper and possibly better then that technology will be pursued by any industry. Even if the upfront investment is large and the early results are lacking. The long term promise is usually enough justification.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    You also need to watch the original cut and not the one that was butchered by the studio. Highlander the Quickening has a lot of great things going for it. Overall it is pretty disconnected from the previous film, and doesn't capture that same emotion, but it's still a delight.

I'm actively searching for the open matte 35mm version of Highlander 2. I have seen scans of it and I know it exists but I would really like to watch it.
    I've seen two versions...the original with the subtitle The Quickening (basically the "Zeist" version), and I believe a Director's Cut of the Renegade version. It kept the Renegade version's omission of Zeist (they're from far in the past now), three mysterious beings are the ones who sent Katana forward in time, the Earth's shield is a different color, and there's a red-filter fight between Connor and Katana on top of a semi. There might be more differences, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Oh right and Connor and Louise don't become constellations in the end lol Its my understanding the theatrical cut of the Quickening cut this, but the home media version (VHS/Laser Disc), which is what I saw, left it in.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Pixar hasn't had a great film since Ratatouille. The first third of Wall-E and the first ten minutes of Up were phenomenal, but went downhill as those movies went on.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The Night House was boring as ****, Rebecca Hall was great. But everything else about that movie was meh. Same with The Empty Man. I've never seen such overhyped slog. The first 30 minutes is creepy, then it just falls apart after that.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Shortening a tv shows season episode orders is a terrible idea. At least leave us in suspense about whether you’re going to be cancelling the show.

Extraordinary Member

I have little interest in seeing a 1:1 translation from comics to live action.

OTOH, when adapting to animation, a 1:1 translation is all I want, solely because animation allows for such a translation while live action is often much more complicated in re to budgets, actors, etc.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The third act of Wonder Woman, though flawed, isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

The final act of The Batman, however, is a goddamn disaster. Doesn't ruin the movie, but once the flood starts, the film falls apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The third act of Wonder Woman, though flawed, isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

The final act of The Batman, however, is a goddamn disaster. Doesn't ruin the movie, but once the flood starts, the film falls apart.
    Yeah, it's a really disappointing denouement to a pretty interesting take on Batman. A better final act would have really cemented it as a classic story.

Mid season breaks for TV shows, otherwise known as, "Oh, is that TV show still on the air?"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

All of the Star Wars movies (except Solo and maybe Rise of Skywalker) are around the same level of quality.
    Define Quality...The acting in Star Wars: A New Hope was atrocious but got better in episodes 5 and 6. The acting in Episodes 1-3 varied from Abysmal to ok. Episodes 7-9 was Mediocre but was a lot better than the previous trilogies...

I thought I posted this before, but here goes:

Fright Night (1985) is a great movie...but its sequel Fright Night Part II (1989) is even better.

My 3 favorite Schwarzenegger films are Commando, Twins, & Running Man.

Death Wish 3 is my favorite Death Wish film.

Rocky IV is my favorite Rocky film.

My favorite John Candy film is a tie between Armed and Dangerous and the Great Outdoors.

favorite Sam Raimi film is Dark Man.

My favorite Halloween film is Halloween 4 the Return of Michael Myers.

My favorite Peter Weller film is Leviathan.

Also, while not as good as the originals I think Caddy Shack 2 and Godfather 3 get too much hate.

I like Howard the Duck.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-29-2023 at 11:05 AM.