Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Friends is pretty bad
    ...I don't think that's a controversial opinion. At least on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    No it isn't. It's the basis for this entire thread. I really don't need to preface anything here with something like 'Well, in my opinion....' when the entire rationale behind this thread is putting controversial opinions across. It's even in the thread title.

I've never come across a musical that I didn't find terrible and corny. Sorry you don't like that.
    There are some musicals that I like, but yeah, agreed about the spirit of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    For what it's worth, I believe Gibbons participated in that book, so maybe just pick up a used copy?
    He also participated in the show (but I'm not mentioning it to try to convince folks to watch it). So yeah, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

-- Superhero movies as entertaining as a lot of them are, are indeed contributing to the death of cinema, and it's okay to enjoy the movies and accept that at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    The rise of streaming and the freedom it allows for creators compared to working for the old TV networks back in the day, coupled with advancements in home entertainment technology, have done far more to hurt cinema than superhero movies. If anything said movies are keeping cinema alive.
    If you threw in a handful of cable channels(FX/Starz/AMC/I'm Sure I Forgot One...) along with streaming services, I'd have to agree.

While there was obviously a time where a lot of stuff(the "Evil Dead" IP/Preacher/Fargo) would only have had life as a film(or, in a rare instance, some sort of a mini-series), it's no longer a world where you have to pound a square peg into a round hole just to get some of these things made.

Accounting for that new landscape, yeah. Superhero films(and, honestly, kids films and horror films) are propping thing up so that "Cinema" has a snowball's chance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    People were saying that about Lord of the rings back in the day nothing is impossible.
    I knew that someone would exactly write this :-), and god I hope you are right.

Astonishing Member

I've never seen a single episode of Lost and I have no intention to.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

On Friends, I thought the Chandler and Monica pairing ruined the show. It was much funnier when Chandler and Joey were best buds who lived across the hall

I liked all seasons of The Andy Griffith Show, including the color episodes without Barney.

On Cheers, I still think Coach was funnier than Woody. And Diane was FAR superior to Rebecca.

On M*A*S*H, I much prefer Trapper, Henry Blake, and Frank to B.J., Potter, and Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I've never seen a single episode of Lost and I have no intention to.
    That's a choice. Not an opinion.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Despite it's tremendous popularity, I've never understood the appeal of Friends which I found to have been vapid and best, moronic at worst. On top of that, the general concept of the show with it's all white starring cast would NEVER get past network executives in 2020.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That's a choice. Not an opinion.
    My opinion is I know my tastes and interests and I'm choosing to spend my viewing time elsewhere.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

The Star Wars sequel trilogy was messy but still better than the prequel trilogy, which was boring.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Despite it's tremendous popularity, I've never understood the appeal of Friends which I found to have been vapid and best, moronic at worst. On top of that, the general concept of the show with it's all white starring cast would NEVER get past network executives in 2020.
    What's jarring to me about Friends all white cast is that show is in New York. I live in New York and not seeing one colored person in a background shot just screamed bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What's jarring to me about Friends all white cast is that show is in New York. I live in New York and not seeing one colored person in a background shot just screamed bullshit.
    People also noted that they never mention 9/11 post it happening in the show, which is....uhh...not exactly great. Like I get its a comedy but it has dramatic moments.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    My opinion is I know my tastes and interests and I'm choosing to spend my viewing time elsewhere.
    That is also not an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    People also noted that they never mention 9/11 post it happening in the show, which is....uhh...not exactly great. Like I get its a comedy but it has dramatic moments.
    The show runners addressed this once in an interview. It was a choice they made because they felt above all people needed something light at the time to take their minds off of everything. It was one of the first shows that came back after about 2 weeks of straight news coverage on every channel.

They did aknowledge it though. When they came back after 911 Joey is often seen wearing NYFD shirts and the message board that hangs on the door always had NYFD drawings and words of thanks on it.

For controversial opinions: police proceedurals and most reality tv sucks.

I think the last two seasons of The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead have improved dramatically.

Revenge of the Sith is one of the best entries.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 01-09-2020 at 08:34 PM.

I will take a Mary Sue female character x 100 over "the fantabulous emancipation of Harley Queen" and "Mystique is the greatest X-Men ever" any day of the week.

Movies are dumber then they've ever been. The stories, the writing, the directing, the acting, all simpler and generic compared to the prior history of film.

The 40's-60's were always based on plays, literature, and there was an attempt by filmmakers and studios at appearing smart.
    The 60's-70's were influenced by the counter culture movement and so there was more of a "real" and "honest" attempt to capture what issues people were facing.
    The 80's became spectacle and excess, but there was an attempt to bring new ideas to the theater. They also took a lot of chances and risks with ambitions to out-do one another.
    But during that time corporations took over and from the 90's - Present the artists got less and less control and movies became more like products with an intention to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone.

Comparison:
    Romantic Comedy:
    https://youtu.be/-Ot948zIr0s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RzyYwEnH0

Even in recent blockbusters you can see the quality drop:
    https://youtu.be/0Nz8YrCC9X8
    https://youtu.be/Q3znhTOUqi8