Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not sure if this is controversial:

-- The Star Wars prequels are masterpieces of cinema and the ST erred big time by doing their OT cosplay cover band concert tour rather than following on the ideas of the PT.

-- It was a terrible thing for Disney to buy Fox. The X-Men were better off under Fox's uneven handling then they ever would be under Disney. LOGAN alone justifies and redeems Fox.

-- Sony should hold on to Spider-Man movie rights. Spider-Man is better off by himself than as part of the MCU. Venom by Ruben Fleischer is a pretty good, entertaining movie and deserves its great success.

-- Superhero movies as entertaining as a lot of them are, are indeed contributing to the death of cinema, and it's okay to enjoy the movies and accept that at the same time.

-- Until Doctor Doom arrives, the MCU will be doing nothing but spinning wheels.
    Strong opinions they are I get where they are coming from But nothing makes me roll my eyes to back my head like when people ignore Daredevil,Electra, FF 1&2,Fan4stic, X3, Wolverine Origins, The ending of Wolverine 2, X-men Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix just because they made couple good movies. Nothing redeems Fox they made some movies so bad that it was difficult or impossible to make other movies.

- I thought of better way to put it I rather walk into the theater knowing about I am going get a certain quality. You walk in Fox knew that it could be as good as Logan or as bad Wolverine Origins.And the later is the worst type of movie experience imo. I rather walk into movie theater knowing that low end is Thor Ragnarok and the high end is Winter solider or Black Panther. Simple put if you don't get a "good movie" you at least got a "fun movie" that you never have to watch again.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-11-2020 at 03:46 AM. Reason: made simple

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Movies are dumber then they've ever been. The stories, the writing, the directing, the acting, all simpler and generic compared to the prior history of film.

The 40's-60's were always based on plays, literature, and there was an attempt by filmmakers and studios at appearing smart.
    The 60's-70's were influenced by the counter culture movement and so there was more of a "real" and "honest" attempt to capture what issues people were facing.
    The 80's became spectacle and excess, but there was an attempt to bring new ideas to the theater. They also took a lot of chances and risks with ambitions to out-do one another.
    But during that time corporations took over and from the 90's - Present the artists got less and less control and movies became more like products with an intention to appeal to everyone and not offend anyone.

Comparison:
    Romantic Comedy:
    https://youtu.be/-Ot948zIr0s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RzyYwEnH0

Even in recent blockbusters you can see the quality drop:
    https://youtu.be/0Nz8YrCC9X8
    https://youtu.be/Q3znhTOUqi8
    Corporarions were always in control, there's never been a time of complete artistuc freedom. There was a time when the corporations backed off a tad more but that was it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    That is also not an opinion.
    Very meaningful contribution to the thread. Someone should give you an award (that is an opinion, btw ).

You must be fun at parties.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I will take a Mary Sue female character x 100 over "the fantabulous emancipation of Harley Queen" and "Mystique is the greatest X-Men ever" any day of the week.
    Also not an opinion (more of a preference if we're being honest).

At least follow your own rules.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-11-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member

-Modern Harley Quinn is awful and is simply just another generic wacky anti-hero, the original funny but tragic take on the character was far more compelling.

-The MCU is the cinematic equivalent of Applebee's and the current crop of DC TV shows are garbage

-Friends was an awful TV show, although not for any of the reasons cited in the thread. It was an awful TV show because it was just a standard sitcom that was no different than any of the others out there.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    -Modern Harley Quinn is awful and is simply just another generic wacky anti-hero, the original funny but tragic take on the character was far more compelling.

-The MCU is the cinematic equivalent of Applebee's and the current crop of DC TV shows are garbage

-Friends was an awful TV show, although not for any of the reasons cited in the thread. It was an awful TV show because it was just a standard sitcom that was no different than any of the others out there.
    Your last point is wrong, since they took the Seinfeld mold and massively improved in it. Its just everyone copied them so their improvements now seem bland and uninteresting

I don't really see Friends as building on Seinfeld; Seinfeld's a bit of a black comedy. It is a show after all where the finale puts them on trial and they end the show in jail.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I don't really see Friends as building on Seinfeld; Seinfeld's a bit of a black comedy. It is a show after all where the finale puts them on trial and they end the show in jail.
    It was the same basic concept though. A group of unrelated people doing stuff together. As compared to the typical sit-come where either its a family or a work place and the people in it who are together because they work together.
    Before Seinfeld I don't recall a show like that. In that regards Friends was just Seinfeld with pretty people.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Your last point is wrong, since they took the Seinfeld mold and massively improved in it. Its just everyone copied them so their improvements now seem bland and uninteresting
    I hear people sharing their favorite Seinfeld quotes all the time, discussing their favourite episodes, one-shot characters, even random stuff like movie titles that were mentioned in the show.

Anytime I hear anyone mention Friends it's usually in terms of 'Oh yeah, that was a show that existed at one point.'

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I hear people sharing their favorite Seinfeld quotes all the time, discussing their favourite episodes, one-shot characters, even random stuff like movie titles that were mentioned in the show.

Anytime I hear anyone mention Friends it's usually in terms of 'Oh yeah, that was a show that existed at one point.'
    Don’t forget hearing clips at Christmastime of Jerry Stiller calling for the “airing of grievances”. Every year. Without fail.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Movies are dumber then they've ever been. The stories, the writing, the directing, the acting, all simpler and generic compared to the prior history of film.
    this is not an unpopular opinion. where did you get the idea it was?

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post

I can literally count on one hand the number of Seinfeld episodes I've ever seen. Ditto with Friends.

Yet as an atheist around Christmas time when people start throwing religion in my face on social media I'll start referencing Festivus and Feats of Strength. I haven't even seen the episodes where those things come up but I know they come from Seinfeld. About the only thing that has stuck with me from Friends is the annoying theme song.

Seinfeld references are more more pervasive in society than anything from Friends.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 01-12-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Not sure if this is controversial:

-- The Star Wars prequels are masterpieces of cinema and the ST erred big time by doing their OT cosplay cover band concert tour rather than following on the ideas of the PT.
    Not controversial. Star Wars Prequels gave the cannon universe much needed depth.

Shitting on Friends is like the most popular thing to do nowadays, for some reasons. Kinda surprised to see that show mentioned in this thread.

To call the Star Wars prequels "masterpieces of cinema" though, now that it sure as hell deserves a place of honor here lol.

Sure, compared to the sequels they are masterpieces, no question. But hell, Police Academy 6 is also a masterpiece compared to the sequels so....

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Shitting on Friends is like the most popular thing to do nowadays, for some reasons. Kinda surprised to see that show mentioned in this thread.
    Well , some things in friends have not aged well. apparently you can only find love in friends if you are not Fat.