Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'd forgotten about this issue of AWC since it seemed like one of those evergreen fill-in issues that Editors would pull out to fill up space on a month where the regularly planned issue was stalled. Not much Bobbi in it. Would this have been Skrull-Bobbi at this point? I forget the timeline of the switch...
    Nope, not Skrull-Bobbi yet. The switch happened approximately 10 issues later than this.

And although I can understand why you might get that fill-in issue vibe it was written by the book's regular writer, Roy Thomas. You're right that it was fairly light on Mockingbird though. It was light on everyone except the Torch, really--it was definitely a Jim Hammond spotlight issue (not surprisingly, as he was a favourite of Thomas').

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I'm a bit surprised no one has commented on EMPYRE: AVENGERS #1 yet!

I'll go very light on the spoilers for anyone who hasn't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks like Bobbi is the designated leader of her particular squad.

Under the circumstances Bobbi is using guns more than her battle staves, which is a shame since I love seeing her use the staves. Bobbi agrees with me on that point, as she comments that she prefers hand to hand but she's making an exception here.

Although her personal experiences with the Skrulls are not specifically referenced here, her hostility towards them does come out when they and the Avengers have a...disagreement over tactics. I have a feeling Bobbi will be kicking some Skrull butt (and one Skrull's butt in particular) next issue...
    I liked it a lot. Zub has a knack for juggling larger teams while still paying attention to the individual members. Even though she was only in a third of the book, it felt like she was more present than it did in Force Works, where she was on a team of four. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how she handles her current predicament...

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I'd forgotten about this issue of AWC since it seemed like one of those evergreen fill-in issues that Editors would pull out to fill up space on a month where the regularly planned issue was stalled. Not much Bobbi in it. Would this have been Skrull-Bobbi at this point? I forget the timeline of the switch...
    This was Real Bobbi; she got switched out around issue #90-91. Another thing to note about WCA #83 (as much as it seemed like a filler issue) is Bobbi fighting alongside Janet. Their close friendship has only been outright stated in Unstoppable Wasp, but if you look back, Janet is one of the Avengers, after from the WCA founders and maybe Tony, that Bobbi has the most history with. Not only that, but during the time Bobbi was "dead," Janet is also the one who remembered her most often, after Clint.

There was a time the team faced Alkhema and Janet had to remind herself not to think of her as Bobbi, another time when they had to fight Alkhema with Clint's help and Clint and Jan bonded over how painful it was, later when the Grim Reaper resurrects (Skrull) Bobbi who tries to send a message to Clint (later followed up on in Thunderbolts Annual 2000) and Janet tried to help her out, and even the smallest of gestures: in Avengers Finale, when they're toasting to all the fallen Avengers, Janet is the one who toasts Mockingbird. I don't know if Jeremy Whitley had all of these references when he decided to play up their friendship or if it's just a coincidence, but it's nice to look back at the history and see that there was always something there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    This was Real Bobbi; she got switched out around issue #90-91. Another thing to note about WCA #83 (as much as it seemed like a filler issue) is Bobbi fighting alongside Janet. Their close friendship has only been outright stated in Unstoppable Wasp, but if you look back, Janet is one of the Avengers, after from the WCA founders and maybe Tony, that Bobbi has the most history with. Not only that, but during the time Bobbi was "dead," Janet is also the one who remembered her most often, after Clint.

There was a time the team faced Alkhema and Janet had to remind herself not to think of her as Bobbi, another time when they had to fight Alkhema with Clint's help and Clint and Jan bonded over how painful it was, later when the Grim Reaper resurrects (Skrull) Bobbi who tries to send a message to Clint (later followed up on in Thunderbolts Annual 2000) and Janet tried to help her out, and even the smallest of gestures: in Avengers Finale, when they're toasting to all the fallen Avengers, Janet is the one who toasts Mockingbird. I don't know if Jeremy Whitley had all of these references when he decided to play up their friendship or if it's just a coincidence, but it's nice to look back at the history and see that there was always something there.
    Jan was also one of the Avengers to speak up in Bobbi's defense in the whole "Avengers don't kill" debate in the aftermath of the Phantom Rider incident. Jan went as far as to say that if she were chairman she would dismiss the whole incident, although she acknowledged that Clint was the official chair so she would not interfere with his authority.

Otto Schmidt posted on Twitter a lovely redesign of Bobbi

This is exactly what I want. Just add some blue already!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post

This is great. Really enjoy those blue accents, and the blue escrima stick.

It's like he mixed her current look with Nightwing. For someone who used to be a SHIELD agent, it works.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's not too different from the current look, but I'd definitely add more blue.

Astonishing Member

I like it!

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Loved her on Agents of SHIELD,I want Force Works 2020 to be ongoing(if that doesn't happen) love to see her team up with Spider Woman & Jessica Jones to form Marvel's answer to Birds of Prey(Alias?) then the three do a crossover Batgirl (Babs) Powergirl and Huntress that would so rock then again I still have hopes that Mockingbird was moonlighting in the DCU as the leader of the Secret Six
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Spectacular Member

This definitely needs to be her current costume if she gets her own solo series in the future.

The one second from the left looks more like her Dark Reign costume than the current one. They should have kept that one for longer, maybe with a more practical neckline. These look great, though. I hope Otto gets more opportunity to draw Bobbi for Marvel in the near future.

In other thoughts....do we know if the current Avengers run is continuing as-is after Empyre? With Bobbi being part of the Avengers tie-in and the Agents of Wakanda book coming to an end, it's possible that a reshuffling of the main Avengers team could work in her favor. Or is that too optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Loved her on Agents of SHIELD,I want Force Works 2020 to be ongoing(if that doesn't happen) love to see her team up with Spider Woman & Jessica Jones to form Marvel's answer to Birds of Prey(Alias?) then the three do a crossover Batgirl (Babs) Powergirl and Huntress that would so rock then again I still have hopes that Mockingbird was moonlighting in the DCU as the leader of the Secret Six
    I would never think that the same actress could be cast as Mockingbird and Wonder Woman but Adrianne Palicki pulled it off (with whatever amount of success as Diana).

(For my money, I think of an actress like Kristen Bell as the Bobbi Morse type.)

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Hate to hear that Agents of Wakanda is ending, but its not exactly shocking. Hopefully Bobbi can land on her feet in another title, though I would imagine it being the Avengers is kinda low sadly. But one never knows!

Adrianne was phenomenal as Mockingbird, and I'm still devastated that her tenure was cut short. Her fight scene with Ward and that other girl (Kara? Agent something?) was iconic IMO. Not sure when we'll see Bobbi again in the MCU.

New rumor that Bobbi will be recast for the Disney+ Hawkeye show: https://fandomwire.com/hawkeye-recasting-mockingbird/

Doesn't seem to have much weight behind it, but it sure has generated discussion! What do people here think?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    New rumor that Bobbi will be recast for the Disney+ Hawkeye show: https://fandomwire.com/hawkeye-recasting-mockingbird/

Doesn't seem to have much weight behind it, but it sure has generated discussion! What do people here think?
    The idea of the MCU doing more with Mockingbird brings me a lot of joy. I hate the thought of re-casting though, since Adrianne Palicki was so excellent in the role and her passion for the character is clear. Even if they don't want to re-use the AGENTS OF SHIELD version of the character, fine--you can reboot the character with the same actor. If Marvel can re-use the same actor as different characters (Chris Evans as Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers; Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom and as Jonah on RUNAWAYS, etc), then they can cast the same actor to play two different versions of the same character.