Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    So just let the issues build up then.

Thats a shame as i would have enjoyed a month to month chat about it but im so behind in books anyway that i doubt i will get to it for many months.
    Yeah that’s a way to do it. I don’t own a TV so I have time read all the books as I buy them and even re-read some and read back issues and regular books too. My rule is if I don’t read a comoc book more than two weeks after it comes out (excluding when I go on vacation) then it gets cut from my list. That way my list stays a manageable size and I don’t spend more than necessary.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 01-06-2020 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Yeah that’s a way to do it. I don’t own a TV so I have time read all the books as I buy them and even re-read some and read back issues and regular books too. My rule is if I don’t read a comoc book more than two weeks after it comes out (excluding when I go on vacation) then it gets cut from my list. That way my list stays a manageable size and I don’t spend more than necessary.
    Thats normally my policy too - im not paying for things just to keep runs going - but this year i fell down the 2000ad reprints rabbithole so thats been consuming all my reading time.

Anyone pick up Daphne Byrne yet?

The story was engagingly creepy, and the art reminded me of Bernie Wrightson, without the signature heavy inking. It all came together really well and made for a fun read.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Anyone pick up Daphne Byrne yet?

The story was engagingly creepy, and the art reminded me of Bernie Wrightson, without the signature heavy inking. It all came together really well and made for a fun read.
    Here's another one I almost missed. Will be checking it out today and report back here.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

^^^Awesome, can’t wait to see if you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Awesome, can’t wait to see if you like it!
    Just got done reading this. The artwork is decent. One of the weaker offerings from Hill House though. The main character's age doesn't seem clear. Jones draws monsters a lot better than regular people.

The story is a fun read like you say but I'm not sure why there was a need for a seance to take place in the story if the supernatural contact takes place in the dream. I suppose it's to establish that Daphne is skeptical...?

I am curious about the what the actual truth about her "real" father is.

Overall a decent issue. A super fast read. I'll thumb through the second issue for sure.

So far I've read the Question, Hellblazer (2019) and Hill House's Basketful of heads. Hellblazer could count more as a Sandman Universe title but that could be just splitting hairs.

Just got done reading this. The artwork is decent. One of the weaker offerings from Hill House though. The main character's age doesn't seem clear. Jones draws monsters a lot better than regular people.

The story is a fun read like you say but I'm not sure why there was a need for a seance to take place in the story if the supernatural contact takes place in the dream. I suppose it's to establish that Daphne is skeptical...?

I am curious about the what the actual truth about her "real" father is.

Overall a decent issue. A super fast read. I'll thumb through the second issue for sure.
    Hey at least you liked it enough to try it again next month!
    I think the seance was just like you said, to establish Daphne’s skepticism. I really did like the art though. I checked and i’ve seen Jones’ work before, but it never stood out to me till now. Am curious how this story will unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I feel like Black Label should've been graphic novels instead of releasing in issues. Harleen was really good but was better in one sitting.
    Why not just wait for the trade, then? (Actually, I think all comics are better read in trade format then waiting month to month.)

Anyone else curious about the upcoming Birds of Prey mini?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Anyone else curious about the upcoming Birds of Prey mini?
    Is it a mini? I thought it was to be a one shot. Frankly I'm not impressed Azz got bumped from his ongoing. Leaves a bad taste.

Just read Dollhouse Family. This is such a weird story, it is becoming increasingly coherent. Looking forward to a re-read of this.

Is it a mini? I thought it was to be a one shot. Frankly I'm not impressed Azz got bumped from his ongoing. Leaves a bad taste.
    Looking on Wikipedia; looks like there's one by Brian Azzarello just called "Birds of Prey" that's a one-shot, guess that was the one you were talking about. The one I was thinking of was a four-parter by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, that starts in February.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The one I was thinking of was a four-parter by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, that starts in February.
    I see, didn’t know that was a Black Label book.

I see, didn’t know that was a Black Label book.
    Apparently it is; saw an article where the authors were quotes saying that they planned to make the most of the mature label.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Apparently it is; saw an article where the authors were quotes saying that they planned to make the most of the mature label.
    Well that makes it more interesting. I’ll thumb through it.

Started reading Basketful of Heads, really good and like the art. I did notice something odd in the first issue, where he introduces June as down from Bates and the mother asks about her studies and June says she is writing about how masculinity is shaped by shame. The mother then asks if her thesis is part of a gender studies course, to which she replies that she is a psych major. Now, this is taking place in 1983... the reference to gender studies seems kind of anachronistic - Bates college would not have had a gender studies program in 1983. A Women's study program would be more plausible, but the mother making a reference to 'gender studies' specifically is pretty implausible. In fact, Maine university didn't have a women's study program properly institutionalised until 1989 (someone might be able to correct me on this, but this is what I've gleaned from the tome: Women in Higher Education: An Encyclopedia. This mention of gender studies in 1983 really took me out of my immersion in the story!

...And that is how you obnoxiously nitpick someone's comic book writing! lol