Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
Martin Scorsese did put forward a definition of what constitutes part of cinema;

Now I know what the response to this is going to be; that there are tons of moments where characters convey emotions! Well let's take a look a fairly defining feature of the human experience and used in the MCU, sexual and romantic relationships. I'll preface this by saying I stopped watching these films around GotG 2, but that's like 15 films so its more than enough to draw a consensus.

There is pretty much a total absence of sex in the MCU, other than the implied situations where a couple have kids. This appears a conscious effort on the part of the MCU planners and more or less handicaps every character. Human beings are sexual beings, and lack of sexual appetite on behalf of nearly every character in the franchise is anathema to the lived experience of about 99% of human beings. People use to joke about Captain America being a virgin and yeah its funny, but it makes Captain America's character far less human when you actually consider that he likely is and seems unphased by it.

You also can't have genuine romance without sex, which is why pretty much every MCU romance falls flat. One of the reasons why Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor's relationship feels so fresh is because they actually have intercourse. Its also the reason why MJ and Peter Parker's relationship feels authentic in the Raimi films. Sure I don't think there is a scene in any film that implies they've fornicated with one another, but the seen of MJ snogging on Spidey is iconic for a reason. So many of these MCU relationships feel like how children must imagine adult romance, where you simply hold hands and tepidly peck one another.
Martin doesn't get to decide what is or isn't cinema anymore than you or I can. Not how it works. The fact that he believes it does is really the only reason we're having this conversation. If he simply said it was cinema he didn't like, this would all be moot.