Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    There is no chance they executed their own vision.

Gunn's GOTG is one of the most unfaithful adaptation of comic books. there is no chance Gunn was the master mind. the movie was a full out comedy and more like a Disney film.

Waititi body of work is not like Thor 3. there is no way he executed his vision that somehow made it to turn out like GOTG

Cooler is a young director but there is not way he executed his vision that made black panther follow some of the exact storyline of the first thor film , with little character driven arcs. also as a director, there is no way he saw the final visual effects in the film and must have been okay with it.

What those movies did was convinced people further the MCU formula controls everything. When joker gets nominated for best picture next week, the black panther subject is going to come up again that is what a formula movie only nominated for specific reasons unlike Joker that was not a DCU or Zack Snyder formula movie but was fully Toad Philips vision.
    So what your suggesting is that you know better then James Gunn weather or not that movie was his vision. Go listein to his podcast with Michale Rosenbaum or read any of his interviews about the movie. That movie was 100% his vision and he couldnt be more proud of it. Same with Waititi on Ragnarok. He goes on and on about that movie being his vision. But you have to pretend that all these directors are babysitters keeping the train moving to fit into your narrative about the MCU. You can have whatever opinion you want about these movies but saying Gunn and Waititi werent the visionaries behind their movies is basicaly calling both directors and everyone who worked with them liars.
    Seriously your gonna pretend you know more about the making of GOTG then James Gunn/The cast/Feige? A little subtlety might make you seem a little less obvious.

And those movies convinced you of your MCU hate, the masses loved all those movies and BP(Which story is nothing like Thor 1 except in the most abstract of details) won a ton of awards and was nominated for Best picture. But I know the Oscar's and Golden Globes have no credability when they nominate something you dont like, so we can skip all of that.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-11-2020 at 06:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's very unnatural for close bonds to form with someone you've risked your life with in battle. Especially someone who you already have a physical and mental attraction to. That never happens to real life people.
    Really? Isn't it more plausible the opposite is true. Or maybe you're being sarcastic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Really? Isn't it more plausible the opposite is true. Or maybe you're being sarcastic.
    He’s being sarcastic. the poster he was responding to was talking about betas and chads to show how the Steve Peggy romance is poorly written because they didn’t bone on screen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    He’s being sarcastic. the poster he was responding to was talking about betas and chads to show how the Steve Peggy romance is poorly written because they didn’t bone on screen.
    Oh ok lol.

Yup! What Rincewind said

Ultimate Member

Yeah, the sex and drugs discussion doesn't make any sense so we can move on from that.

I dont think Hollywood directors have a distaste for the MCU considering they generally employ Hollywood directors.

I think the older brigade are frustrated about how things have changed. But those guys are out of touch. Theres lots of good movies in cinemas right now, they would do well to bring attention to stuff like that rather than criticism of superhero movies. Hundreds of movies come out in a year, only a small percentage are Marvel movies, so focusing on Marvel might mean that you're looking at the wrong issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, the sex and drugs discussion doesn't make any sense so we can move on from that.

I dont think Hollywood directors have a distaste for the MCU considering they generally employ Hollywood directors.

I think the older brigade are frustrated about how things have changed. But those guys are out of touch. Theres lots of good movies in cinemas right now, they would do well to bring attention to stuff like that rather than criticism of superhero movies. Hundreds of movies come out in a year, only a small percentage are Marvel movies, so focusing on Marvel might mean that you're looking at the wrong issue.
    Marvel continues to snag big names, up and comers, and has many people publicly declaring interest. (See: Noah Hawley)

Big name actors continue to accept villain and side character roles as well. As you say, this is about bitterness and opinion dressed up as a real thing with the dumbest of arguments.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    So what your suggesting is that you know better then James Gunn weather or not that movie was his vision. Go listein to his podcast with Michale Rosenbaum or read any of his interviews about the movie. That movie was 100% his vision and he couldnt be more proud of it. Same with Waititi on Ragnarok. He goes on and on about that movie being his vision. But you have to pretend that all these directors are babysitters keeping the train moving to fit into your narrative about the MCU. You can have whatever opinion you want about these movies but saying Gunn and Waititi werent the visionaries behind their movies is basicaly calling both directors and everyone who worked with them liars.
    Seriously your gonna pretend you know more about the making of GOTG then James Gunn/The cast/Feige? A little subtlety might make you seem a little less obvious.

And those movies convinced you of your MCU hate, the masses loved all those movies and BP(Which story is nothing like Thor 1 except in the most abstract of details) won a ton of awards and was nominated for Best picture. But I know the Oscar's and Golden Globes have no credability when they nominate something you dont like, so we can skip all of that.
    Exactly.

Considering all of Gunn's movies have been wacky black comedies suggesting that GoTG isn't Gunn's film is quite clearly nonsensical. Same with Waititi on Thor.

It's quite clearl they had a level of creative freedom.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-11-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Marvel continues to snag big names, up and comers, and has many people publicly declaring interest. (See: Noah Hawley)

Big name actors continue to accept villain and side character roles as well. As you say, this is about bitterness and opinion dressed up as a real thing with the dumbest of arguments.
    Yeah, it's all "agenda posting". That's why the arguments starts getting pointless and dumb after a while.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, it's all "agenda posting". That's why the arguments starts getting pointless and dumb after a while.
    I agree that there is bitterness because the landscape has changed but I also think some of the criticism directed at the MCU isn't 100 percent because of the film quality (there is some truth to their complaints) however I think the the biggest issue is Disney and Marvel is just a target because they are under them.

I love DC and when I read about a director or actor having a distaste for comic book films it's always aimed at Marvel even though DC has produced the top tier films that have pushed the genre and won some of the highest accolades for the genre and has the most well known characters, as well as better directors and actors. To me it comes across that people want to attack Disney but are afraid to do it directly. I don't think anyone could blame them for having issues with Disney especially when its known that Disney bullies movie theaters to show their content on more screens, bullies critics into giving good reviews for the majority of their content, and not to mention stifles directors creativity. I think that it's unfair to Marvel because what they have accomplished is a great achievement but because of their parent company they are being scrutinized.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 01-12-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I agree that there is bitterness because the landscape has changed but I also think some of the criticism directed at the MCU isn't 100 percent because of the film quality (there is some truth to their complaints) however I think the the biggest issue is Disney and Marvel is just a target because they are under them.

I love DC and when I read about a director or actor having a distaste for comic book films it's always aimed at Marvel even though DC has produced the top tier films that have pushed the genre and won some of the highest accolades for the genre and has the most well known characters, as well as better directors and actors. To me it comes across that people want to attack Disney but are afraid to do it directly. I don't think anyone could blame them for having issues with Disney especially when its known that Disney bullies movie theaters to show their content on more screens, bullies critics into giving good reviews for the majority of their content, and not to mention stifles directors creativity. I think that it's unfair to Marvel because what they have accomplished is a great achievement but because of their parent company they are being scrutinized.
    Bullies critics ? I'm going to need some context there since "Disney own RT" is such a dead meme at this point

No one has a problem aiming criticism at DC.

People don't seem to have much trouble attacking Star Wars, so I don't think being under the Disney banner is really any sort of automatic protection.

Fantastic Member

Perhaps these journalists should stop asking all these 70+ year old directors about Marvel films. These guys came from a very different era of cinema. It's like asking your grandparents about things such as video games or rap/hip and rock/metal. I mean if directors like Orson Welles, Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock were alive today, I'm certain they'd have a similar view. Hell Welles probably would have been more harsh than FFC. Though I would like someone to ask Nicolas Cage how he feels about what his uncle said seeing as how he's been in some comic films and even changed his birth surname as a tribute to Luke Cage.

One thing I find absolutely laughable is that Josh Trank of all people had the audacity to start trashing the MCU.

BANNED

If we keep dismissing arguments on grounds of generational baggage, then that means you guys won't have any ground to stand on when younger kids dismiss the MCU as "ZOMG Millennial". Generational dismissal cuts both ways. Eventually people will dismiss the MCU as "your Dad's idea of superhero movies" or "Millennials were easy marks for Disney Toymercials". It's not like Scorsese and his fellas went after older film-makers when starting out. In fact they went out of their way to rescue the reputations of forgotten and neglected film-makers.