Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I understand what they are getting at but this isn't the 70s. And when these guys were originally rebelling against the "institution" they had hardly attained the stature they have attained now.

While I understand the consternation at Disney dominating cinema, Marvel started producing their movies before Disney acquired them. Other studios jumped on the shared universe train because they were successful at this. WB for example have been producing superhero movies for decades but decided to have a cohesive shared universe because of Marvel's success.

Reading Coppola and Scorsese's statements (and even Ricky Gervais last night) what these guys are saying isn't the same as the "DCEU is good and MCU is bad" which is the point that I take issue with. They are making a general point against superhero movies but zeroing on Marvel because they are biggest around. WB would have produced practically as many superhero movies as Disney would have (we all remember that insane release schedule that WB put out years ago) but simply "couldn't" because their first attempts at the shared universe was met with mixed results at best. So to suggest that other companies are somehow more "ethical" than Disney is pretty ridiculous.
    The fact that these guys have attained the stature they have gives them every right to speak out. It is because of that reason that they SHOULD speak up. Up and coming movie makers can not speak out against Disney, Scorsese can.

Big studio films dominated the screens before, too- that's what these guys were rebelling against in the 70s. It is nothing new.

"DCEU is bad, MCU is good" or vice versa is fanboy talk. This has nothing to do with that. You're right that WB would have made a ton of FLASH movies if they could, but they didn't and Disney is the one behind all this. Fighting a quirky little flick like SHAZAM! isn't the fight here. We're not arguing about superheroes, we're arguing about assembly line filmmaking. You see one Marvel movie and you see them all, even with a guy like Ryan Coogler who is a fantastic director. They're corporate products, from top to bottom.

I don't think anyone is saying that a Marvel character cannot be the star of a rad film, they have been- they're saying that big amusement park ride flicks are tiresome. I really think a lot of this boils down to brand loyalty and people do not want to say anything bad about Marvel or Disney, but these are faceless corporations- you do not have to like everything they build.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-06-2020 at 12:20 PM.