Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one has a problem aiming criticism at DC.
    People criticize DC for having a bad film but they are not being attacked by directors and actors for not being traditional cinema. Heck, historically there have been some really high profile directors and actors in DC films as well as the films themselves received critical accolades. So my point is that when I read comments from those criticizing comic book films they aren't criticizing DC films only MCU which imo seems like there is more behind their issues than what they are stating on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    People criticize DC for having a bad film but they are not being attacked by directors and actors for not being traditional cinema. Heck, historically there have been some really high profile directors and actors in DC films as well as the films themselves received critical accolades. So my point is that when I read comments from those criticizing comic book films they aren't criticizing DC films only MCU which imo seems like there is more behind their issues than what they are stating on the surface.
    DC movies have individuality. People attack Batman and Robin. They hardly attack Batman Begins. MCU comeS in the same pack, they have no individuality. it is easy to criticise MCU for that, but in all fairness, MCU movies are inseparable in film style. there are significant differences between many DC movies and as for 2020, DC is riding so High with Joker, even if wonder woman 2 sucks, there can never be a criticism of all DC movies for the reason that not all DC movies are alike. its been that way since Superman 1978
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-12-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    DC movies have individuality. People attack Batman and Robin. They hardly attack Batman Begins. MCU has no individuality. they all come in the same pack,it is easy to criticise MCU but in all fairness, MCU movies are inseparable in film style. there are significant differences between many DC movies and as for 2020, DC is riding so High with Joker, even if wonder woman 2 sucks, there can never be a criticism of all DC movies.
    This very well could be the case. I just think that the critics need to state their real issue rather than say something isn't cinema. Wasn't Scorsese going to help produce Joker before he got too busy with the Irishman?

If the real issue is the MCU films lack individuality and are hurting overall innovation and creativity in cinema then they need to say that. If the issue is studios are forcing a more manufactured product by trying to mimic the MCU success they need to say it or if the issue is it's harder for directors to get funding to make the films they want to make then they need to say it. Otherwise it's hard for most people to truly understand why they dislike the genre.

BANNED

This very well could be the case. I just think that the critics need to state their real issue rather than say something isn't cinema.
    Correct. Which is why his criticism deserves no defense.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Correct. Which is why his criticism deserves no defense.
    I think he does need to state his issue a bit more clearly because I do think that people would be more understanding. I think it also tells us that in the background that directors (and actors)who do MCU films aren't as respected by their peers most likely and may have a harder time getting work post mcu for anything that isn't under the Disney umbrella.

https://www.nme.com/news/film/martin...-films-2564495

This may be old news but, apparently, Scorsese has qualified and explained his remarks. Interestingly enough, he acknowledges that there are elements of art and cinema to the MCU but doesn't think there is enough of either. He also makes it clear that a lot of what he is saying is a criticism of modern movies in general.

“That’s the nature of modern film franchises: market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.”

The article above contains a link to Scorsese's full article. Unfortunately, the full article requires a subscription. However, at least Scorsese felt he should explain himself and not come across as if he were just insulting people. He makes it clear he thinks a lot of people making MCU movies are very talented.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-12-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Marvel has gotten plenty of huge actors in their films. Anthony Hopkins,Robert Redford, Michale Keaton, RDJ, Rockwell, Portman, Whittaker, Douglas etc.. these are just the Oscar caliber actors off the top my head there are 3x as many huge movie stars in these films. And Christian Bale is in negotiation for Thor 4 which is DCs star front they're biggest movie. And almost every Marvel Movie has gotten some level of Critcal acclaim. With Black Panther reaching the highest of any CBM. As far as directors Marvel seems to Target hot up and coming directors. Waititi and Coogler being prime examples. Coogler had 2/3 films nominated for Oscars. And alot of people were upset Creeds only nomination was for Stallone. Hence to protests that year, because that and concussion.

Marvel is the target because they are the most successful franchise of all time at this point. DC shoots themselves in the foot every couple of movies. Though they got a nice streak going right now the MCU is the pinnacle of Franchise blockbuster films. That's why they are singled out
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-12-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    https://www.nme.com/news/film/martin...-films-2564495

This may be old news but, apparently, Scorsese has qualified and explained his remarks. Interestingly enough, he acknowledges that there are elements of art and cinema to the MCU but doesn't think there is enough of either. He also makes it clear that a lot of what he is saying is a criticism of modern movies in general.

“That’s the nature of modern film franchises: market-researched, audience-tested, vetted, modified, revetted and remodified until they’re ready for consumption.”
    This makes me think his aim is at Disney owned properties. While other studios will do market research as well as the other items listed, Disney takes it to another level to the point where its next to impossible for a filmmaker to make the film that they want to make and see if the audience likes what he/she did different than what's been out there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Marvel is the target because they are the most successful franchise of all time at this point. DC shoots themselves in the foot every couple of movies. Though they got a nice streak going right now the MCU is the pinnacle of Franchise blockbuster films. That's why they are singled out
    I honestly don't think most of these directors can tell which franchise belongs to what studio. They just paint all CBM as the same.

Extraordinary Member

Scorsese won't even watch the Joker. He might think it's an MCU movie lol

Niffleheim

The point is DC mostly hires auteur directors while Marvel mostly hires small time directors. That has always been the difference - Marvel will only work with directors who are collaborative and flexible or to be cynical directors who are hungry enough for the money.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-12-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I honestly don't think most of these directors can tell which franchise belongs to what studio. They just paint all CBM as the same.
    I don't think some directors are even aware that some films are CBM. For instance, Ryan Coogler said he screened Black Panther for Francis Ford Coppola and he enjoyed it so and even asked to watch a certain scene again after it was finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Most of them can tell, if us CBM fans can tell. directors can tell, what we have now is collateral damage of all CBMs. James Mangold, Toad Phillips and William Dafore separated the CBMs they were involved in from the MCU. yeah, they can tell.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-12-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Scorsese won't even watch the Joker. He might think it's an MCU movie lol
    If Joker had come out 12-17 years ago. he would have directed it. The reputation of CBMs was at it most healthy in the 2000s. Look at some of the good CBM that came out then to what we have now. we just can compare. Scorsese would hardly feel ashamed, he is directing a CBM like he sees it now.

I think most directors who were involved in comic movies James McTeigue, Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi would not want to make a CBM today post MCU era.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-12-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    If Joker had come out 12-17 years ago. he would have directed it. The reputation of CBMs was at it most healthy in the 2000s. Look at some of the good CBM that came out then to what we have now. we just can compare.

I think most directors who were involved in comic movies James McTeigue, Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez, Bryan Singer, Christopher Nolan, Sam Raimi would not want to make a CBM today post MCU era.
    I am curious to see if people think that the MCU films did more harm to the genre than good and if their will be any future implications on expectations for CBM moving forward. I think CBM were seen as a challenge for past directors because in all reality CBM are story adaptations nothing more nothing less. Imo no different than adapting a book like LOTR or Harry Potter. I would even compare Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to broadway as part of the intrigue of their future films are how well or different they will be from past iterations. May create a thread about it.