Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    1. Are you saying asexuals can't ever be in "genuine" romantic relationships?
    Obviously not. I even accounted for asexuals when I said 99% human beings desire sexually romantic relationships. I'm not trying to erase anyone.

2. Are you saying a film cannot "convey emotional, psychological experiences" without sex being either shown or implied
    No, its just an example of the kind of emotional experiences Scorsese would likely say the MCU lacks.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    He doesn't, but it's a question of weight. Scorsese is considered by a significant amount of people to be the most accomplished living American director, so his opinion on what cinema is, will hold much more weight to many more people
    Having weight with people with an axe to grind isn't impressive. See America's current president for why.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "Hey, Mommy and Daddy, you bought me the Dark Knight Batman action figure and the Dark Knight Batmobile. So, why won't you let me see any of the Dark Knight movies? I mean, the marketing is clearly designed towards me. Yet I can't actually see the movies? What's up with that?"

I think that's what the MCU has somewhat tried to avoid. Oh, not with Iron-Man. The sexual innuendos abound although it's like a juvenile's concept of romance and sex. But they have generally tried to keep it on a level where it isn't blatant.
    There are sexual jokes in the MCU, I mean in Age of Ultron Iron Man essentially makes a rape joke. But that's the thing, sex is a joke in the MCU.

When I say the MCU is sexless, I'm not just speaking of physical act, but of the intimacy between the partners which involves sexual activity among others. There is no depth in the MCU's relationships.

This has been a critique I've harboured against the MCU for years now, but I read Tom King's Mister Miracle yesterday and the relationship depicted in that book is just leagues better than anything we've seen in comic book movies. Where are the cbm about superheroes getting married? About them having a child? Or about them falling out of love?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-09-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If a movie doesn’t have sex in it, it isn’t cinema?

Dafuq did I just read?
    My thoughts exactly. That said, I do have that experience a lot online. Best and worst thing about the internet is that any one of us schmucks can post whatever we want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There are sexual jokes in the MCU, I mean in Age of Ultron Iron Man essentially makes a rape joke. But that's the thing, sex is a joke in the MCU.

When I say the MCU is sexless, I'm not just speaking of physical act, but of the intimacy between the partners which involves sexual activity among others. There is no depth in the MCU's relationships.

This has been a critique I've harboured against the MCU for years now, but I read Tom King's Mister Miracle yesterday and the relationship depicted in that book is just leagues better than anything we've seen in comic book movies. Where are the cbm about superheroes getting married? About them having a child? Or about them falling out of love?
    Maybe that's not the MCU's strongest suit (goodness knows that I can only think of a small handful of couples that I really liked from those movies). However, romance is not the be all end of relationships in films. How does the MCU do friendship, for example? (If you want an example, going outside the franchise, take Star Wars; Force Awakens isn't a romance movie, but has some of the most impactful character work, anyways.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    My thoughts exactly. That said, I do have that experience a lot online. Best and worst thing about the internet is that any one of us schmucks can post whatever we want to.

Maybe that's not the MCU's strongest suit (goodness knows that I can only think of a small handful of couples that I really liked from those movies). However, romance is not the be all end of relationships in films. How does the MCU do friendship, for example? (If you want an example, going outside the franchise, take Star Wars; Force Awakens isn't a romance movie, but has some of the most impactful character work, anyways.)
    friendship is an easier, very much easier theme for Disney to tackle. I remember those Disney shows as a kid, they used to talk and sing about the power of friendship.
    The biggest issue of the mcu is, their movies can only function within the range of Disney's limited idea of the world. things like sex, drinking abuse, drugs, realistic hardship of life are almost non existence in MCU though you can find them very present in the other not MCU marvel movies and DC movies.

Dr strange just lost its director because his creative freedom was taken from him, wonder if he would join the list in the future of directors ''hating'' mcu movies

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Avengers Endgame had a very strong family theme.

That there is one example.

Mighty Member

Speaking of Endgame does Tony and Pepper having a child not imply stuff happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Speaking of Endgame does Tony and Pepper having a child not imply stuff happened?
    please tell me you are kidding with this question? its so not the same thing.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-10-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    friendship is an easier, very much easier theme for Disney to tackle. I remember those Disney shows as a kid, they used to talk and sing about the power of friendship.
    The biggest issue of the mcu is, their movies can only function within the range of Disney's limited idea of the world. things like sex, drinking abuse, drugs, realistic hardship of life are almost non existence in MCU though you can find them very present in the other not MCU marvel movies and DC movies.
    You're not a writer, are you?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Dr strange just lost its director because his creative freedom was taken from him, wonder if he would join the list in the future of directors ''hating'' mcu movies
    Why do you never write stuff like this than the Flash movie for example lost the next director?

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Why do you never write stuff like this than the Flash movie for example lost the next director?
    Literaly in 20+ movies MCU has lost 3 directors to creative differences that I know of(Jenkins,Wright,and Dickerson). Flash has lost just as many on one movie. And 3 out of the crap load of movies the MCU has made isnt bad. And this is the first issue Post Pearlmutter getting demoted and Feige being given Full control. I assume they liked Dickerosns Treatment but when he turned in a script they had some unfixable disagreement.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-10-2020 at 01:08 AM.

BANNED

Wonder what you would call what happened to Stark alone during the movies than. If that is not realistic hardship to you you should examine your Definition. And what happened to the Guardians members for one more example tops even that.

To write that other movies have that more present Shows more than a Little bias on your side.

And most of "things like sex, drinking abuse, drugs, realistic hardship of life are almost non existence in MCU " is not really more present in the usual X-men movies for example. Showing Mystique being in a relationship with Destiny like in the Comics for example, would never have happened in a regular X-men movie. The Comics managed that nearly 40 years ago.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 01-10-2020 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    He doesn't, but it's a question of weight. Scorsese is considered by a significant amount of people to be the most accomplished living American director, so his opinion on what cinema is, will hold much more weight to many more people
    He has weight as far as defining what subjective can be considered "good" cinema... but that's not the same thing as him having the ability to define what qualifies as cinema.

If Scorsese happens to like or dislike a book or a sandwich, it's STILL a sandwich and a book regardless of whether or not he likes it. It is what it is independent of his opinion.

Ultimate Member

The sex and drugs thing is a little strange though.

Marvel is making PG-13 superhero movies, like majority of most other studios.

Why should Marvel starting adding in content that will likely take their movies into R-rated territory when they are explicitly trying to avoid that? Even the comics rarely ever deal with stuff like that. It's like saying that Star Wars and Harry Potter should start dealing with "adult" stuff when that isn't even the point.

It's a very, very strange argument.