Default The Best of the Decade - 1990 through 1999

What are your favorite DC stories of the 1990's?

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    What are your favorite DC stories of the 1990's?
    Let's see what I can find:

1. 1989-96 - Sandman by Neil Gaiman - The great Dark Fantasy saga - 10 vol. or 5 omnibus or 2 massive omnibus
    2. 1989-93 - Doom Patrol by Grant Morrsion - Doom Patrol are a group of super-powered misfits - 6 vol. or 3 books or 1 omnibus
    3. 1990-92 - Lobo by Keith Giffen & Alan Grant - The most out of the norme character you can find - 1 omnibus
    4. 1991-1999 - Hellblazer by Garth Ennis and Paul Jenkins - the life of John Constantine - 8 vol.
    5. 1994-2001 - Starman by James Robinson - A superhero sherif - 10 vol. or 6 omnibus
    6. 1995-99 - The Power of Shazam! - follows the SHAZAM familly by Jerry Ordway - in various other collections
    7. 1987-97 - The Flash by Mark Waid - Start of the Epic 1987 reboot - 6 vol.
    8. 1996-00 - Batman: The Long Halloween + Batman: Dark Victory + Catwoman: When in Rome - Great saga of the early days of Batman by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - 2 omnibus + 1 vol.
    9. 1994 - Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight/New Dawn - The downfall of Hal Jordan, the rising of Kyle Reyner - 1 vol.
    10. 1994 - Gen13 - Story about "gene active" teens recruted by the governament by Jim Lee - 1 vol.
    11. 1993-94 - The Death and Return of Superman - The Death of Superman + The Return of Superman - 2 vol. or 1 omnibus
    12. 1993-95 - Batman: Knightfall - The great Bane/Azrael saga - 9 vol. or 3 new omnibus
    13. 1994 - Batman: Mad Love - Introduction of Harley Quinn in the comics by the genius Paul Dini - 1 vol.
    14. 1995-2000 - Preacher - Story of a posessed preacher by Garth Ennis - 9 vol. or 6 six books or 3 omnibus
    15. 1996-2002 - Stormwatch + The Authority - The Warren Ellis era on this United Nation's crisis intervention team - 3 vol. or 1 omnibus + 5 vol. or 1 omnibus
    16. 1996 - Kingdom Comes - The award winning elseworld story by Mark Waid - 1 vol.
    17. 1999 - Batman: No Man's Land - When Gotham becomes a war zone - 4 new omnibus
    18. 1996-06 - JLA - The great saga started by Grant Morrison - 9 vol. or 4 omnibus
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-05-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Not my favourite decade for comics by any means. Obviously there was some good stuff published amongst all that EXTREEM rubbish.

The only thing that I can add that isn't listed in the above post is Morrison's Batman: Gothic, which I absolutely loved.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Now we’re talking!

1. Starman by James Robinson. My absolute favorite comic story of all time.

2. The Wally West Flash run. This decade more than any other to me defined the Flash, matured Wally, and gave him a wonderful supporting cast in the Flash family.

3. Teen Titans by Dan Jurgens. Followed a de-aged Ray Palmer after the events of Zero Hour.

4. Power of Shazam! By Jerry Ordway and my favorite run/take on the character.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 01-05-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Let's see what I can find:

1. 1989-96 - Sandman by Neil Gaiman - The great Dark Fantasy saga - 10 vol. or 5 omnibus or 2 massive omnibus
    2. 1989-93 - Doom Patrol by Grant Morrsion - Doom Patrol are a group of super-powered misfits - 6 vol. or 3 books or 1 omnibus
    3. 1990-92 - Lobo by Keith Giffen & Alan Grant - The most out of the norme character you can find - 1 omnibus
    4. 1991-1999 - Hellblazer by Garth Ennis and Paul Jenkins - the life of John Constantine - 8 vol.
    5. 1994-2001 - Starman by James Robinson - A superhero sherif - 10 vol. or 6 omnibus
    6. 1995-99 - The Power of Shazam! - follows the SHAZAM familly by Jerry Ordway - in various other collections
    7. 1987-97 - The Flash by Mark Waid - Start of the Epic 1987 reboot - 6 vol.
    8. 1996-00 - Batman: The Long Halloween + Batman: Dark Victory + Catwoman: When in Rome - Great saga of the early days of Batman by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale - 2 omnibus + 1 vol.
    9. 1994 - Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight/New Dawn - The downfall of Hal Jordan, the rising of Kyle Reyner - 1 vol.
    10. 1994 - Gen13 - Story about "gene active" teens recruted by the governament by Jim Lee - 1 vol.
    11. 1993-94 - The Death and Return of Superman - The Death of Superman + The Return of Superman - 2 vol. or 1 omnibus
    12. 1993-95 - Batman: Knightfall - The great Bane/Azrael saga - 9 vol. or 3 new omnibus
    13. 1994 - Batman: Mad Love - Introduction of Harley Quinn in the comics by the genius Paul Dini - 1 vol.
    14. 1995-2000 - Preacher - Story of a posessed preacher by Garth Ennis - 9 vol. or 6 six books or 3 omnibus
    15. 1996-2002 - Stormwatch + The Authority - The Warren Ellis era on this United Nation's crisis intervention team - 3 vol. or 1 omnibus + 5 vol. or 1 omnibus
    16. 1996 - Kingdom Comes - The award winning elseworld story by Mark Waid - 1 vol.
    17. 1999 - Batman: No Man's Land - When Gotham becomes a war zone - 4 new omnibus
    18. 1996-06 - JLA - The great saga started by Grant Morrison - 9 vol. or 4 omnibus
    Great list!

Transmetropolitan started in the '90s, didn't it? That should be there if it did.

I would also include Ennis' brilliant Hitman; Milligan's Shade the Changing Man; Kesel's Superboy; Peter David's Supergirl and Young Justice; Ron Marz's Green Lantern (the early bits, in particular, but fridging excepted, of course) and Robinson's JSA: The Golden Age, off the top of my head. Also, the last bits of the Giffen/ Dematteis's JLI and Morrison's Animal Man came out in the early '90s too. Also, Dixon's Batman books were pretty good and the first four or five years of the triangle era of Superman was pretty great too.

There was some serious dreck published during the '90s by DC (whenever they decided to follow the "grim and gritty" nonsense of the era and the bad, bad, bad sub-Image art) but bloody hell, did they publish tons of exceptional stuff in that decade. Throw in the five years that preceded it and the five years that followed it and you have what may well be the best 20 years in DC's history, creatively speaking.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Great list!
    Thanks

Transmetropolitan started in the '90s, didn't it? That should be there if it did.
    I ignored all the non-super series.

I would also include Ennis' brilliant Hitman; Milligan's Shade the Changing Man; Kesel's Superboy; Peter David's Supergirl and Young Justice; Ron Marz's Green Lantern (the early bits, in particular, but fridging excepted, of course) and Robinson's JSA: The Golden Age, off the top of my head. Also, the last bits of the Giffen/ Dematteis's JLI and Morrison's Animal Man came out in the early '90s too. Also, Dixon's Batman books were pretty good and the first four or five years of the triangle era of Superman was pretty great too.
    Indeed I missed a few great things.
    Is JLI and Animal Man from that era that unmissable ?
    Well Dixon co-wrote Knightfall and No Man's Land which I included.

There was some serious dreck published during the '90s by DC (whenever they decided to follow the "grim and gritty" nonsense of the era and the bad, bad, bad sub-Image art) but bloody hell, did they publish tons of exceptional stuff in that decade. Throw in the five years that preceded it and the five years that followed it and you have what may well be the best 20 years in DC's history, creatively speaking.
    Hard to say.
    But in the 90's and 00's DC was great because of its Wildstrom, Vertigo and Elsworld inprints.

Nightwing by Dixon
    The Robin mini-series trilogy (Robin, Joker's Wild, Cry of the Huntress) by Dixon
    Flash by Waid
    Aquaman by Peter David
    Spectre by Ostrander

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Thanks

I ignored all the non-super series.

Indeed I missed a few great things.
    Is JLI and Animal Man from that era that unmissable ?
    Well Dixon co-wrote Knightfall and No Man's Land which I included.

Hard to say.
    But in the 90's and 00's DC was great because of its Wildstrom, Vertigo and Elsworld inprints.
    JLA was admittedly a bit past its prime by the time the '90s rolled around but JLE had actually picked up some of the slack. Morrison's Animal Man is just a flat out brilliant, seminal comic book and that final year is probably the best part of it.

And, I mean, yeah, those imprints certainly helped but a) Wildstorm only really kicked into gear in the very late nineties/ early 2000s and b) in its original form, Vertigo was mostly made up of DC properties, and most books of which had existed before the imprint was even founded. Besides, between my and your list, the '90s also clearly features some exceptional mainstream DC books as well.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Nightwing by Dixon
    Flash by Moessner-Loebs and Waid
    Wonder Woman by Perez
    Batman by Dixon
    JLA by Morrison
    Sandman
    Doom Patrol by Morrison
    Starman
    Batman by Loeb
    Stormwatch/Authority
    Planetary
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy