Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 415
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,053

    Default My Hero Academia Appreciation 2020

    New year, more HeroAca! And it feels like this is going to be a BIG year for the series!

    In this chapter we get a decent amount of necessary recapping, before setting up what may be the possible next arc we're heading into.

    spoilers:
    Primarily focuses on all of the students again as we see their new techniques and skills they've learned during their internships.

    Mina, Ayoama, and Toru learn new combos with Yori Musha
    Ojiro and Sato strengthening exertion with Lion
    Jiro and Shoji enhancing reconnaissance with Gang Orca
    Kaminari, Sero, and Mineta learning teamwork with Mt. Lady & her team
    Iida to control mindset with Manual
    Koda communication with Wash
    Tokoyami improving overall strengths with Hawks (even though he was busy)
    Kirishima how to make enemies lose their will with Fat Gum
    Uraraka and Tsuyu on decision making with Ryukyu
    Momo on efficiency with Majestic
    and of course Midoryia, Bakugo, and Todoroki increasing potential power, speed, & experiences with Endeavor.

    We get some even more shipping bait, first with Mina showing off to Kirishima how much she's grown, and then to Midoryia and Uraraka both congratulating each other on both of their improvements (with everybody else knowing EXACTLY whats going on). Also get All Might reflecting upon just how much Midoryia has grown beyond even him, getting to see the full extent of Black Whip used in person.

    Later that night, Aizawa and Mic try to figure out how to deal with everything (with Mic having a great line about wanting to challenge the Nomu manufacturers to a karaoke contest), when Mirio, Tamaki, and Neijire, reveal that something is going on with Eri's horn as it continues to grow. Lastly, All Might once again congratulates Midoryia & Bakugo on their improvements, before giving Midoryia the notebook containing all the information he knows regarding the previous successors of One For All and their quirks.

    Now that he has the book, I wonder if this means that this next arc will be directly focused on the backstories of some of the One For All successors, and possibly Midoryia trying to unlock these other quirks, or if they'll choose to spread out the information throughout the year. I'm also curious if he'll discover about the "4 month" plan and if that'll lead him to train harder, or if it'll all be a surprise once it finally happens.
    end of spoilers
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,897

    Default

    This chapter really makes me wish Toru would get a proper costume. I know she wants to take full advantage of her invisibility and all, but come on. There's got to be some way to let her use her LIGHT-BENDING abilities to stay invisible while still wearing a costume. Besides that I'm real glad that we mainly saw improvements from her, Aoyama and Mina. It's those kind of gradual improvements that lets the class stay relevant and makes it really clear that they're all growing (instead of just the main characters getting stronger). Though, Deku with solid control over Black Whip just looks really cool.

    I loved the shipping bits. They were super cute and it's always hilarious when the entire class just knows that IzuOcha is so gonna be a thing.

    I hope Eri's ok. Poor little girl is so proud of her quirk, but it's starting to hurt again.
    Dadzawa scenes with Eri are always good.

    This mini-arc is pretty much over now and we'll probably move into the next big thing with the next chapter. There are lots of avenues that Horikoshi could go in. I do think that further exploration of the previous OfA-weilders would be the most exciting possibility right now, and it would be nice to see Deku being proactive on this front to avoid another incident like the joint training.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,897

    Default

    I've also read the latet School Briefs volume. It contains such glorious scenes as All Might hanging out with his way too drunk colleagues, Monoma rating class A's dorms, the entire class getting worked up by a scary story told by Tokoyami, a silly short adventure based on the third ED and more.

    Just fun stuff really.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    This chapter really makes me wish Toru would get a proper costume. I know she wants to take full advantage of her invisibility and all, but come on. There's got to be some way to let her use her LIGHT-BENDING abilities to stay invisible while still wearing a costume. Besides that I'm real glad that we mainly saw improvements from her, Aoyama and Mina. It's those kind of gradual improvements that lets the class stay relevant and makes it really clear that they're all growing (instead of just the main characters getting stronger). Though, Deku with solid control over Black Whip just looks really cool.

    I loved the shipping bits. They were super cute and it's always hilarious when the entire class just knows that IzuOcha is so gonna be a thing.

    I hope Eri's ok. Poor little girl is so proud of her quirk, but it's starting to hurt again.
    Dadzawa scenes with Eri are always good.

    This mini-arc is pretty much over now and we'll probably move into the next big thing with the next chapter. There are lots of avenues that Horikoshi could go in. I do think that further exploration of the previous OfA-weilders would be the most exciting possibility right now, and it would be nice to see Deku being proactive on this front to avoid another incident like the joint training.
    Anytime we get to see Toru actually do something with her quirk I freak out! This is what like the third time? lol
    And yes, Midoryia using Black Whip is now one of my favourite things (I'm a Spider-Man/Venom guy, so this just appeals to me greatly)

    Yeah, the "Agency" arc pretty much ended a few chapters ago and this has been the interlude preparing for the next one, so we're just waiting on a clearer picture on what exactly that'll be. Getting some flashbacks with the previous successors and learning more about One For All now seems like the smartest decision the story could take, especially since it seems like getting OfA may end up being Shigaraki and the Doctor's next step after his metamorphosis is complete.

    Like you mentioned, I wanna see Midoryia maybe trying to unlock the other quirks once he finds out what they are, and maybe starting to prepare how to explain it to everyone once he gains control of them. He was able to BS an explanation for BW alright, I don't know if he'll be able to get away with another one showing up. I also wanna know if Bakugo being here means he's gonna read it too, and what he would take out of all of this, if anything.

    Also, Eri starting to hurt now doesn't sound good. And given her powers, there isn't really a clear distinction on what this teasing could possibly mean, basically just a second time bomb waiting to go off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I've also read the latet School Briefs volume. It contains such glorious scenes as All Might hanging out with his way too drunk colleagues, Monoma rating class A's dorms, the entire class getting worked up by a scary story told by Tokoyami, a silly short adventure based on the third ED and more.

    Just fun stuff really.
    My favourite of that volume is the one focused on the perspective of Koda's bunny. It's just so weird and out of nowhere, but really funny. I can't wait for the Cultural Festival book to come out, so we can finally see Class 1B's performance!
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  5. #5
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I've also read the latet School Briefs volume. It contains such glorious scenes as All Might hanging out with his way too drunk colleagues, Monoma rating class A's dorms, the entire class getting worked up by a scary story told by Tokoyami, a silly short adventure based on the third ED and more.

    Just fun stuff really.
    Got it for Christmas along with Smash Vol 2. It is really good, I wish we could have seen more of Class 1-B's rooms, also I was surprised and delighted that Mei turned up in a prominent role
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Anytime we get to see Toru actually do something with her quirk I freak out! This is what like the third time? lol
    And yes, Midoryia using Black Whip is now one of my favourite things (I'm a Spider-Man/Venom guy, so this just appeals to me greatly)

    Yeah, the "Agency" arc pretty much ended a few chapters ago and this has been the interlude preparing for the next one, so we're just waiting on a clearer picture on what exactly that'll be. Getting some flashbacks with the previous successors and learning more about One For All now seems like the smartest decision the story could take, especially since it seems like getting OfA may end up being Shigaraki and the Doctor's next step after his metamorphosis is complete.

    Like you mentioned, I wanna see Midoryia maybe trying to unlock the other quirks once he finds out what they are, and maybe starting to prepare how to explain it to everyone once he gains control of them. He was able to BS an explanation for BW alright, I don't know if he'll be able to get away with another one showing up. I also wanna know if Bakugo being here means he's gonna read it too, and what he would take out of all of this, if anything.

    Also, Eri starting to hurt now doesn't sound good. And given her powers, there isn't really a clear distinction on what this teasing could possibly mean, basically just a second time bomb waiting to go off.
    It's just so weird. She can manipulate light in some pretty advanced ways, but she focuses on just being invisible. Now I just want her to basically do Dazzler stuff all the time. And not to forget, but I really like that Aoyama can basically create lightsabers from all his emitters now.

    Black whip adds so much versatility to Deku's reptoire. It's good for capture, saving and mobility, and it doesn't break his bones! I know a lot of people are worried about Deku becoming OP with all the other powers, but if they're as cool as BW then I'm just absolutely excited for their reveals.

    I'm thinking that we'll get one or two arcs before the big shindig, three tops. Further insight into One For All and the previous weilders is a strong candidate, whether it's Deku and All Might doing some research or All For One reminiscing about his battles with them all. And that could tie into trying to unlock more of the powers now dwelling within Deku. Then maybe another catch up with the villains, and possibly a nice, cute calm before the storm kind of arc. Then everything hits the fan and we cry.

    I think Bakugo's there mainly because he wants time with All Might too. And his takeaway might just be that he'll get stronger than all the quirks Deku will get.

    Monoma did say that Eri's quirk is one that accumulates its power over time. So since she's not being used as the source for Overhaul's experiments anymore that power has no outlet and is just building up more and more. They absolutely need to find a way to safely release it before she accidentally hurt somebody with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    My favourite of that volume is the one focused on the perspective of Koda's bunny. It's just so weird and out of nowhere, but really funny. I can't wait for the Cultural Festival book to come out, so we can finally see Class 1B's performance!
    I will never quite look at that bunny the same way again, that much is true. And yeah, a book that focuses on Eri hanging out with Mirio and Izuku and the class 1B performance will be absolutely magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Got it for Christmas along with Smash Vol 2. It is really good, I wish we could have seen more of Class 1-B's rooms, also I was surprised and delighted that Mei turned up in a prominent role
    Mei + Shoto + Recovery Girl made for an odd and fun, if brief, interaction. And the book really showed how nutty some of Mei's inventions can get.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I hope Eri's ok. Poor little girl is so proud of her quirk, but it's starting to hurt again.
    Dadzawa scenes with Eri are always good.g.
    Nah I am rooting that she restores Mirio Togata powers. So it is half yeah that sucks the other half okay maybe soon he can get back his powers.

  8. #8
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I will never quite look at that bunny the same way again, that much is true. And yeah, a book that focuses on Eri hanging out with Mirio and Izuku and the class 1B performance will be absolutely magical.

    Mei + Shoto + Recovery Girl made for an odd and fun, if brief, interaction. And the book really showed how nutty some of Mei's inventions can get.
    We need more Mei
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,897

    Default



    Holy damn! Just look at this! The fight was badass as all hell in the manga, but the animation team turned into a freaking work of art on part with stuff from One Punch-Man season 1.

    And the episode featured a new heartfelt rendition of You Say Run with lyrics sun by Makayla Phillips (it debuted in the Heroes Rising movie).

    This episode was so damn good that Deku trended on twitter yesterday.

    Great freaking start of the year for the whole series!

  10. #10
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Just saw the Overhaul/Deku fight, absolutely amazing
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  11. #11
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Finally managed to watch Two Heroes and I thought it was amazing. Despite following the basic structure of an anime movie, it was really well done and Shields were really good additions
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Finally managed to watch Two Heroes and I thought it was amazing. Despite following the basic structure of an anime movie, it was really well done and Shields were really good additions
    It's a really fun movie with fun interactions and uses of quirks. And that final battle is just so freaking cool, good use of an idea that was never used in the main series (All Might and Deku team up).

    I like David a lot, he's got some good story potential. Melissa I found a bit bland to be honest. She was fine, just not very interesting for me.

    My one other complaint would be that Ochako and Kaminari didn't really get to shine as much as the other kids. Even Mineta had a moment where he got to be cool and helpful.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It's a really fun movie with fun interactions and uses of quirks. And that final battle is just so freaking cool, good use of an idea that was never used in the main series (All Might and Deku team up).

    I like David a lot, he's got some good story potential. Melissa I found a bit bland to be honest. She was fine, just not very interesting for me.

    My one other complaint would be that Ochako and Kaminari didn't really get to shine as much as the other kids. Even Mineta had a moment where he got to be cool and helpful.
    I really liked Melissa as another outlook on how to handle living "quirkless", and showing how she and Midoryia end up inspiring each other throughout. I really hope both the Shields end up showing up at some point again in the future, even if its most likely not in the main book. Apparantly she will end up appearing in the Team Up Missions spinoff, but that still doesn't have an official release date yet.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  14. #14
    Wanda & Ribrianne~4~Life! CJStriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,135

    It is Truly moments like this that make me Love the Power Anime has, it is Breathtaking and Why I have loved Anime for so long! 😢😭

    What an Amazing Series;


    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”

    ~~ Brianne De Chateau ~ Episode 102, of Dragon Ball Super!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHGXMH6HB0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread!

  15. #15
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It's a really fun movie with fun interactions and uses of quirks. And that final battle is just so freaking cool, good use of an idea that was never used in the main series (All Might and Deku team up).

    I like David a lot, he's got some good story potential. Melissa I found a bit bland to be honest. She was fine, just not very interesting for me.

    My one other complaint would be that Ochako and Kaminari didn't really get to shine as much as the other kids. Even Mineta had a moment where he got to be cool and helpful.
    I liked both Shields, Melissa is basically the opposite of Deku, a quirkless person who accepted that she couldn't be a hero but could still help people. Hopefully bpth will return. Ochako did help get Deku and Melissa to the top of the tower, Kaminari was just used for a joke, they could have least allowed him to fry some of those robots
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Author of "The Saga of the Déise"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •