Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Bought volume 24 today.

Since it's all villains all the time in this volume the intro page has Toga rating her colleagues' disguises for moving about in the open. She's gives them all -100 because they're all just bad at it, or unfashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Thinking about it the last we saw of Ochako's jealousy was her punching it out of her as Deku mentioned Mei and she recalled Mei's hands-on approach to measuring people. And including it would've felt like beating a dead horse. Though I'm pretty sure Ochako is still weirded out by Mei's... Mei-ness.

But I do think it would've been funnier than what the the side characters that were present offered. Thrown in Iida as well and have the two of them get increasingly worried as Mei and Melissa contest cause more damage to USJ than the League of Villains attack did.

I constantly role my eyes at people saying that Izuku's had deeper/more meaningful interactions with like Tsuyu and Melissa than he has with Ochako. It's just wrong. But yeah, Ochako is the only one with a romantic interest in him. I'm not sure how to classify Toga's interest but it sure as hell ain't romantic. Speaking of which, I wonder how Toga will react if she sees Izuku after all the things that have happened?
    That was also after a long while of "holding back her feelings" since the License Exam, so feels like that last gasp before she becomes more confident with her feelings. And that is true they probably could've done more with the secondary characters, since it's basically just Bakugo laughing at Midoryia's misfortune, and Kaminari & Mineta doing their usual schtick.

I think what's interesting about MHA, compared to alot of other manga series, is it is VERY light on any actual romance, with Midoryia and Uraraka being the only actual "canon ship" in the story, and anything else that comes close to relationships (Todoroki/Momo, Kaminari/Jiro, Kirishima/Mina, etc) are all still just subtext. I guess it's why shipping in the fanbase feels weirder compared to others considering how both fluid and yet concrete it is at the same time

I've had this long running theory that Toga may play some kind of importance in helping Midoryia in some way, since we know he is one of the things she wants most of all, so I could very easily see either Shigaraki purposefully not trying to kill Midoryia because Toga wants him, or she jumps in to save him from being killed (the "only I get to kill you" sort of deal). I do hope that the obsession she has with those two do come into play at some point.

Things are going DOWWWWWWWWN! My hype levels just keep on rising hard!

spoilers:
    We start with a news broadcast comparing the current events to those of Hosu, Kamino, and Deika, and wondering why all of this destruction has been happening lately. We see All Might at U.A. watching over Eri and looking on nervously. Also see Inko, Mitsuki, Rei, Fuyumi, and Natsuo going about their day all blissfully unaware of what's going on, and All For One in Tartarus just smiling...

Eraserhead keeps his eyes on Shigaraki, with heroes like Rocklock and Manual providing him assistance, while Endeavor continues to fight the now "quirkless" Shigaraki. However, turns out the experiment still provided him with an incredible amount of natural strength, to near All Might levels, with the power and agility to still keep up with him.

Gran Torino drops Midoryia and Bakugo off, saying that he needs to hide because if they lose One For All, that'll be the worst outcome. Then suddenly, a NEW HOARD OF NOMUS suddenly show up, turns out not all of them managed to be destroyed, and these remaining "Nearly High-Ends" (Nomus with the immense great power but without the conscious thinking) start attacking the other heroes under Shigaraki's command.

Shigaraki manages to knock Endeavor down (mimicking his/All Might's victory pose just to **** with him). He then jumps forward straight to Eraserhead, preparing to kill him. Eraser stands his ground, stating he's going to live to see all of his students become true heroes, but Midoryia arrives, grabbing hold of Shigaraki, with Bakugo right behind screaming it's their turn to save him.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Woo there's alot. That shot of each of the families is so eerie, just makes me think something's gonna happen to them instead...

Manual being the true MVP and keeping Eraser's eyes all clean. And Shiggy demonstrating the experiment did more than just give him AFO, but made him an absolute BEAST in raw strength, which honestly does make the most sense, since realistically All For One itself isn't inherently powerful, it's the different stockpile of quirks that make it dangerous, so actually power loading Shiggy's body to be naturally intense is the smart idea.

I can't tell if the surprise secret Nomu army is "too much", dealing with them ontop of Shiggy, Gigantomachia, and the remaining PLF members, especially since there is the question of where they even came from after the rest were destroyed, but maybe there was another lab or something.

I busted a gut laughing hard at Shiggy just standing over Endeavor doing the pose ("Was it the other hand? I'll do it when it grows back"), love that he still has time just to be a dick even in all the chaos.

And then Eraser's last stand hit me hard, seeing how much he truly cares for his class and even briefly thinking that he might die but will still try and survive somehow. And Midoryia & Bakugo's rescue just gives me all the AWWWWWWWWWWWS! But now there's no turning back, they're facing each other head on (ala All Might & All For One) so its gamete!

Also, this has to mean that Midoryia is now faster than Gran Torino, right? With how quickly he zoomed over there?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Things are going DOWWWWWWWWN! My hype levels just keep on rising hard!
    Between this series and the crazy stuff going on in fellow WSJ series Black Clover, it's like getting mini heart attacks caused by worrying about fictional characters. And part of me loves it.
    spoilers:
    Woo there's alot. That shot of each of the families is so eerie, just makes me think something's gonna happen to them instead...

Manual being the true MVP and keeping Eraser's eyes all clean. And Shiggy demonstrating the experiment did more than just give him AFO, but made him an absolute BEAST in raw strength, which honestly does make the most sense, since realistically All For One itself isn't inherently powerful, it's the different stockpile of quirks that make it dangerous, so actually power loading Shiggy's body to be naturally intense is the smart idea.

I can't tell if the surprise secret Nomu army is "too much", dealing with them ontop of Shiggy, Gigantomachia, and the remaining PLF members, especially since there is the question of where they even came from after the rest were destroyed, but maybe there was another lab or something.

I busted a gut laughing hard at Shiggy just standing over Endeavor doing the pose ("Was it the other hand? I'll do it when it grows back"), love that he still has time just to be a dick even in all the chaos.

And then Eraser's last stand hit me hard, seeing how much he truly cares for his class and even briefly thinking that he might die but will still try and survive somehow. And Midoryia & Bakugo's rescue just gives me all the AWWWWWWWWWWWS! But now there's no turning back, they're facing each other head on (ala All Might & All For One) so its gamete!

Also, this has to mean that Midoryia is now faster than Gran Torino, right? With how quickly he zoomed over there?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

I have been worried about the regular families since I saw the leaked page. But I'm thinking that we're just getting their happy everyday lives so that we can see the contrast to them when they learn what's been going on. At least I hope that's the case. And I get that All Might feels the need to keep an eye on this, but should he really be doing that while he's watching Eri? The poor girl might get a heart attack herself. I can't see Eri's horn in the panel she's in, I wonder if that was a simple artist goof or intentional.

Giving Shigaraki just raw superhuman strength and durability that's not quirk-based also makes sense since AFO and the doctor knew about Eraser-Head (nice to know that he can shut down multiple quirks at once) and how Shigaraki would have face him at some point. So giving him a back-up in case of that encounter is just good planning. It also gives Deku and Bakugou a good reason to just go ham on him even if he doesn't have any quirk activated. Of note is that he took down Ryukyu with the same attack he used against Endeavor.

And yes, Shigaraki being so calm and trollish is just the best. He's not a fullfledged mastermind yet since he's been given/inherited/stolen most of his powers and plans from others. But his relaxed dickish way of being a Big Bad is just horribly charming.

I think that from a narrative stand point the extra Nomus are just here to explain why hundreds of heroes don't swarm in on Shigaraki, while the other half of the hero army and the back up team try to deal with the PLF and Gigantomachia. From the way these things appeared I'm guessing that the doctor had some batches stashed below Jaku city itself. Either way, every chapter just keeps stacking things in the villains' favor, so something going right for the heroes would be nice. I said while being gleefully wondering if the good guys can overcome the increasingly growing wall in front of them.

I was really scared for Aizawa there for a moment of two as he remembered his students (Shinso was counted amongst them, YEAY!) and Deku tackled Shigaraki (reminded me of that bit in Man of Steel where Superman just smashes Zodd for threatening his mother). The first real showdown between our main hero and villain is here! They've both grown so much over the course of the series and I've been looking forward this moment ever since their discussion in the mall, and all eyes are on them. It's time to show the world what the hero Deku can do!

It certainly seems like Deku is currently faster than Gran Torino. I really hope he keeps up that impressive streak.
    Oh, and Endeavor's sidekick Kido has a very specific quirk. I wonder how useful it actually is.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Looks like finally we will be getting All For One 2 Vs All Might 2. Some nice stuff with Aizawa as well.
    end of spoilers

Between this series and the crazy stuff going on in fellow WSJ series Black Clover, it's like getting mini heart attacks caused by worrying about fictional characters. And part of me loves it.

spoilers:

I have been worried about the regular families since I saw the leaked page. But I'm thinking that we're just getting their happy everyday lives so that we can see the contrast to them when they learn what's been going on. At least I hope that's the case. And I get that All Might feels the need to keep an eye on this, but should he really be doing that while he's watching Eri? The poor girl might get a heart attack herself. I can't see Eri's horn in the panel she's in, I wonder if that was a simple artist goof or intentional.

Giving Shigaraki just raw superhuman strength and durability that's not quirk-based also makes sense since AFO and the doctor knew about Eraser-Head (nice to know that he can shut down multiple quirks at once) and how Shigaraki would have face him at some point. So giving him a back-up in case of that encounter is just good planning. It also gives Deku and Bakugou a good reason to just go ham on him even if he doesn't have any quirk activated. Of note is that he took down Ryukyu with the same attack he used against Endeavor.

And yes, Shigaraki being so calm and trollish is just the best. He's not a fullfledged mastermind yet since he's been given/inherited/stolen most of his powers and plans from others. But his relaxed dickish way of being a Big Bad is just horribly charming.

I think that from a narrative stand point the extra Nomus are just here to explain why hundreds of heroes don't swarm in on Shigaraki, while the other half of the hero army and the back up team try to deal with the PLF and Gigantomachia. From the way these things appeared I'm guessing that the doctor had some batches stashed below Jaku city itself. Either way, every chapter just keeps stacking things in the villains' favor, so something going right for the heroes would be nice. I said while being gleefully wondering if the good guys can overcome the increasingly growing wall in front of them.

I was really scared for Aizawa there for a moment of two as he remembered his students (Shinso was counted amongst them, YEAY!) and Deku tackled Shigaraki (reminded me of that bit in Man of Steel where Superman just smashes Zodd for threatening his mother). The first real showdown between our main hero and villain is here! They've both grown so much over the course of the series and I've been looking forward this moment ever since their discussion in the mall, and all eyes are on them. It's time to show the world what the hero Deku can do!

It certainly seems like Deku is currently faster than Gran Torino. I really hope he keeps up that impressive streak.
    Oh, and Endeavor's sidekick Kido has a very specific quirk. I wonder how useful it actually is.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It looks like Eri's horn is there, just very small, considering Aizawa's training with her within these past two months, she's probably been able to achieve some semblance of control over it.

It also helps to clarify the slight confusion regarding his interactions with the Nomu. That he could shut off their multiple quirks, but not their inherent raw strength, which is why they were still a danger. It also most likely was done so that Shigaraki could actually handle using the amount of insane powers AFO carried without damaging himself too much. Even right after Deika when he completely let loose with his decay, his arms were nearly all destroyed, so makes sense why he would need some tune up to get that all fixed.

I'm glad that Shiggy really isn't this genius mastermind, he's ultimately just an angsty teenager who wants to destroy things, but he's gained enough street smarts to know what he can or can't do, which is why he leaves the actual planning to people like the Doctor or the PLF. So now he can just go nuts and have fun.

I really want to know most of all what Midoryia & Shigaraki will say to each other now after so long. How much does Shiggy really know about him to effectively taunt him, and will Midoryia try and get some "All For One" related questions answered out of him?

One thing I did find slightly odd is, the title of the chapter is "You Cheated" and supposedly in one of the fan translations, this is referenced through one of the characters, I think it was Endeavor, saying that Shigaraki "cheated" in order to reach his near All Might levels, but at least in the one I read, and then the official version, none of that was there, but the title is still the same, so that tripped me up a tad.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    It looks like Eri's horn is there, just very small, considering Aizawa's training with her within these past two months, she's probably been able to achieve some semblance of control over it.

It also helps to clarify the slight confusion regarding his interactions with the Nomu. That he could shut off their multiple quirks, but not their inherent raw strength, which is why they were still a danger. It also most likely was done so that Shigaraki could actually handle using the amount of insane powers AFO carried without damaging himself too much. Even right after Deika when he completely let loose with his decay, his arms were nearly all destroyed, so makes sense why he would need some tune up to get that all fixed.

I'm glad that Shiggy really isn't this genius mastermind, he's ultimately just an angsty teenager who wants to destroy things, but he's gained enough street smarts to know what he can or can't do, which is why he leaves the actual planning to people like the Doctor or the PLF. So now he can just go nuts and have fun.

I really want to know most of all what Midoryia & Shigaraki will say to each other now after so long. How much does Shiggy really know about him to effectively taunt him, and will Midoryia try and get some "All For One" related questions answered out of him?

One thing I did find slightly odd is, the title of the chapter is "You Cheated" and supposedly in one of the fan translations, this is referenced through one of the characters, I think it was Endeavor, saying that Shigaraki "cheated" in order to reach his near All Might levels, but at least in the one I read, and then the official version, none of that was there, but the title is still the same, so that tripped me up a tad.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

Probably enough that it doesn't bother her like the last time we saw her. Or they've figured out a way to disperse the Rewind energy that builds up within her.

Essentially, AFO and the doctor wanted Shigaraki to be prepared for anything and everything when they truly let him loose. And that goal certainly seems to have been achieved. Without any actual quirks he's able to over-power two strong pro heroes while in the air where he doesn't actually have that much mobility. Toss in regeneration and everything else he's got and we've got a very solid over-powered big bad on our hand. But it's the kind of over-powered that feels earned, from a narrative stand point.

Shigaraki free of doubt and full of destructive glee is one of the best parts of this arc so far. He's entertaining and intimidating as a villain, while also carving out a style all his own.

I wonder if Shigaraki is delighted that Deku is the current OFA holder. This meddling green haired little punk has been on his **** list for the better part of a year now, so getting additional incentive to go after him is probably just icing on the cake. I also have to wonder just how much the doctor has told Shigaraki about One For All at this point. At least the basics I assume.

That is weird now that you mention it. They might've seen the fan translation and been influenced by it instead of changing to something more fitting for the official release.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I wonder if Shigaraki is delighted that Deku is the current OFA holder. This meddling green haired little punk has been on his **** list for the better part of a year now, so getting additional incentive to go after him is probably just icing on the cake. I also have to wonder just how much the doctor has told Shigaraki about One For All at this point. At least the basics I assume.

That is weird now that you mention it. They might've seen the fan translation and been influenced by it instead of changing to something more fitting for the official release.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It appears like he still doesn't know what exactly "One For All" is, other than the Doctor told him it's important, and that the vestige of AFO is telling him to get it. He might have a hunch that it's All Might's power passed down, just not exactly the history (because if he does learn, and finds out about Nana, who knows how he'd react).

I do really wanna see his reaction to Midoryia carrying All Might's power, if that's what he believes, because then it'll paint a much clearer picture on everything that's seen happen with this kid over said year, and how that'll all probably infuriate him even more. Midoryia already has a general idea of Shigaraki/AFO's fighting approach, but Shiggy probably has no idea the extent of Midoryia's true power PLUS holding multiple quirks himself, so I could see another reaction coming out of him witnessing this bizarro version of himself in said kid, and so wanting "OFA" even more.
    end of spoilers

Got School Briefs 4 yesterday and can't wait to read it

Volume 27 (subtitled One's Justice) was released in Japan today, and it looks soooooooo good. Probably in my Top 5 covers of the entire series now. Plus got some extra Horikoshi sketches to commemorate it (I think he may like Mirko a bit lol)

Volume_27.jpg
    Volume_27_Announcement_Sketch.jpg
    Volume_27_Sketch.jpg

About halfway through School Briefs 4 and enjoying it so far.

Extraordinary Member

Volume 27 (subtitled One's Justice) was released in Japan today, and it looks soooooooo good. Probably in my Top 5 covers of the entire series now. Plus got some extra Horikoshi sketches to commemorate it (I think he may like Mirko a bit lol)

Volume_27.jpg
    Volume_27_Announcement_Sketch.jpg
    Volume_27_Sketch.jpg
    That is a really cover and makes a lot of sense. Because while their actual fight was pretty brief, the outcome of it is a major factor in the overall battle and the narrative themes on display in their relationship and how it goes is some of the most important in the arc.

Horikoshi has been very open with how he has to control himself so that he doesn't just draw Mirko doing cool **** for several months on end.
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    About halfway through School Briefs 4 and enjoying it so far.
    Nice.

Let us know what you think when you're done.

Nice.

Let us know what you think when you're done.
    Of course I will

Extraordinary Member

The series is firing on all cylinders as the hard hitting action just keeps on rolling.

spoilers:
    Deku and Bakugou reason that as long as Shigaraki's quirks are erased they can help out, and that losing Aizawa because they did nothing would the worst possible outcome. Bakugou unleashes his AP machine gun on Shigaraki who just ignores it and says he's not interested in Bakugou anymore. He's also able to over-power Deku when he tries to pull him back with Black Whip.

Endeavor comes in to help out (he wonders why Shoto isn't with them) and the three of them and Gran Torino team up against Shigaraki while Aizawa has him quirkles. As they charge each other, Shigaraki yells out "You will be mine... little brother" and he realises that AFO is trying to exert control over him. But he fights against that control because he wants to be his own master, and greater than AFO. Gran Torino tells Shigaraki to stop trampling over Shimura's memory, but Shigaraki has no idea what he's talking about.

Shigaraki blasts past Gran Torino and Endeavor to get at Deku, but it's just a trick so that Bakugou can nail him with a massive blast from his gauntlet, and Endeavor follows it up with a powerful fire drenched haymaker.

Meanwhile, Mt. Lady is struggling to hold back Gigantomachia as he's barrling towards his master, with the PLF leadership on his back.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Another action heavy quick and breezy read that still has plenty of thing to talk about.

The most interesting part was Shigaraki dealing with AFO trying to manipulate him into following his ideas (whether its the quirk itself trying to exert some control or some mental programming is a bit hard to say). Shigaraki doesn't seem to be all that bothered by it or hold a grudge. He seems rather understanding actually, but with his newfound mental clarity and determination he's not about to give up his own goals that easily. It's unusual to see such solid character development for a villain in a shounen action story, I like it.

Also noteworthy is that he doesn't seem to remember the Shimura name or that it used to be his name. Which makes sense since he's been with AFO and the doctor for over a decade.

The action was stellar with all these heavy hitters really testing Shigaraki's strength, speed and durability. I always like seeing fast paced team work to outmanuver an over-powering foe. I wonder if Endeavor is disappointed that Shoto isn't there with the other two, or glad that he's not in the most dangerous place, or just surprised at his abscence.

Gigantomachia definitely seems to be bigger than Mt. Lady, at least in pure muscle mass (he also got pants somewhere). I really like this back and forth on the different battle scenes. It just keeps things fresh, and I'm really looking forward to the back up crew getting in on the action.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Another action heavy quick and breezy read that still has plenty of thing to talk about.

The most interesting part was Shigaraki dealing with AFO trying to manipulate him into following his ideas (whether its the quirk itself trying to exert some control or some mental programming is a bit hard to say). Shigaraki doesn't seem to be all that bothered by it or hold a grudge. He seems rather understanding actually, but with his newfound mental clarity and determination he's not about to give up his own goals that easily. It's unusual to see such solid character development for a villain in a shounen action story, I like it.

Also noteworthy is that he doesn't seem to remember the Shimura name or that it used to be his name. Which makes sense since he's been with AFO and the doctor for over a decade.

The action was stellar with all these heavy hitters really testing Shigaraki's strength, speed and durability. I always like seeing fast paced team work to outmanuver an over-powering foe. I wonder if Endeavor is disappointed that Shoto isn't there with the other two, or glad that he's not in the most dangerous place, or just surprised at his abscence.

Gigantomachia definitely seems to be bigger than Mt. Lady, at least in pure muscle mass (he also got pants somewhere). I really like this back and forth on the different battle scenes. It just keeps things fresh, and I'm really looking forward to the back up crew getting in on the action.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    When Midoryia screamed that losing their teacher was the real "worst case scenario", that gave me (and Aizawa) all the feels. Shows how much they grown, acting like true heroes, stepping into danger, but not without a plan.

I am now very curious to wonder if AFO's vestige is going to come into play at some point, whether it still remains and their goals being at odds will be partly responsible for Shigaraki's downfall, or if he actually did wipe out AFO's vestige and has taken full control. And it once again contrasts him and Midoryia, who openly accepts and listens to the OFA vestiges. Also love how he just casually rebuffs Bakugo all "I'm not interested in you anymore" which of course annoys him.

It seems to me that it might be "Which Shimura?" rather than "What's a Shimura?", he's thinking, just because during the MLA arc, he did get his memories back and remembered his old name was "Tenko Shimura", plus just saw his family in the vestige, so it'd be weird if he just suddenly forgot that name. He of course wouldn't know Nana's name or Gran Torino's connection to her, so that questioning makes sense. I do like seeing just how emotional Gran Torino is getting just beating the crap out of Shigaraki. Even though he may still be treating him as a villain, he's definitively fallen into the trap he warned All Might about earlier, about getting too emotionally invested into the fight, beating and screaming at him for Nana and All Might's sake.

I took it as both him assuming Shoto would be with them, since he's only really seen them three together, and then also probably some slight relief that he's safe.

And I love the League just chilling on the back of Gigantomachia like the world's largest taxi (so I guess when Shiggy meant "bring everyone" he literally meant it). Hope this is the moment we finally get to see Mount Lady shine. She's of course been around from the beginning, and had that hero moment during the Hideout Raid, but now she really gets to step up and do something literally nobody else can do. And hopefully this gives the "Backup Team" a chance to prepare and join in the fight finally!
    end of spoilers