Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I haven't read the main series yet but I'm digging Vigilantes.
    Kinda works since Vigilantes takes place a few years before the main series.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

90's Style MHA!
    Tsuyu looks straight out of Inuyasha I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    It seems like Decay has a very reliable ON/OFF switch, so to speak. If Shigaraki stops touching the origin point then the affected arena crumbles but it just doesn't go any further. So that's good to know. But yeah, besides that you have to throw stuff at it and hope that you can come up with a plan.

Deku using Black Whipe to pull a buss and Ochako using her rope to drag along a civilian made me so stupid happy.

In the official release Shigaraki says that most of the bullets are destroyed, and some of them do look more or less intact. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have at least a few stashed away at another location.

Toga raging out is oddly satifying. It's just kinda refreshing to see her ditch the "whole wacky woo hoo cute murder-girl"-bit and go for a more "I'ma kill all you shits"-vibe. Where is she using someone else's quirk? I'm mainly seeing her slashing fools to death. I'm wondering just who Shigaraki meant when he asked Gigantomachia to bring "the others". Does he just mean his core crew or everyone in the PLA? The first option could have Gigantomachia just picking up the crew and leaping there, with the other option he kinda has to herd everybody over to Shigaraki while punching through the heroes. Either option has intriguing possibilities.

I can see Shigaraki giving Endeavor the same treatment he gave to Overhaul. Crippling him and removing his powers. Just stripping him of everything he's worked so hard for and making all the abuse he heaped on his family more utterly pointless than it already was (not that Shigaraki knows that part). Endeavor does seeminly fulfill all the requirements for fighting the current Shigaraki. Long range attacks that shouldn't be affected by Decay and a way to keep his distance from the guy (limited flight). It'll also be a good place for Shiggy to show if he has any new quirks.

I gotta say that I kinda love Shigaraki's attitude this chapter. He's all "Huh, you know we had few more weeks, or was months, left on this whole plan. But WTH, I'm up now. *makes a phone call* Hey crew! Let's wreck some ****! *Endeavor come blasting in* Oh hey, the number one hero. I mean, not the one I want, but you'll do."
    He's just so casual about the horrors he's about to unleash. So very different from the petulant brat that attached USJ.

Also, the art this week is just stellar! Like, the art is usually really good but there are some pages here that had me stare at them in awe. Toga glaring at the heroes while Gigantomachia's massive arm punches through the floor. And Endeavor at full burn roaring towards an eerily calm Shigaraki (who is looking snazzy in his new evil overlord outfit). Just, so good!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I also forgot that Shigaraki still doesn't have some fingers on his left(?) hand after the Re-Destro incident, so he's still got some kind of a limitation with that (even if it's relatively small).

Yeah, that official line seems to indicate that, effectively, they can't be mass produced anymore, but they're still there, so they probably will have some role to play at some point soon.

The way she was moving faster than usual, made me think she was using someone else's quirk, but I probably just confused that for her natural speed. She might be only able to do it to people she loves/wants to become, like Uraraka and Twice if they get to his body first. (I also wonder if that would work for Midoryia, we know Monoma can't, but she's still a wild card so who knows)

I think Shigaraki's referring to the PLA, since considering he just woke up and knows the plan to be "**** **** up, and then the other guys will rebuild", he's telling them to prepare for their next step once he's all finished.

My belief is that Shigaraki is probably not gonna look at making Endeavor quirkless in a similar way to what happened to Overhaul, leaving him alive as a sense of punishment, since it feels like he doesn't care about him enough to do that, and would rather just kill him. I do think he probably can't decay him and automatically steal his quirk, and needs to use AFO itself to do it before he can be decayed, leaving an option chance for someone to swoop in and save him. That said, there is so much juicy story potential to gleam from a quirkless Endeavor struggling with being unable to do anything for anyone anymore (especially when he finds out about Dabi).

That panel with Gigantomachia's hand reminded me of the final shot of Cabin In The Woods, such a great chilling image. And I love Shiggy continuing his tradition of stealing a piece of outfit from each of his "antagonists", and that he's so in control of his decay he managed to completely disintegrate X-Less, except his cape lol.
    end of spoilers

I haven't read the main series yet but I'm digging Vigilantes.
    I've owned the series for a while now, but I'm only just now really starting to go through them. I'm very interested to hear how someone reacts to reading it first before the main series. It does follow alot of familiar prequel tropes, with how they integrate the other characters and threads from MHA into it, but there isn't too much explicit "fan service", and at least one plot point does directly cross over into the main book.

I might not get to read the main series for a while but I'll let you know how I take it.

Granted I'm digging the slice of life feel of the spinoff and I'm hesitant to jump back into the long slog that most shonens fall into. I had a bad expierence with Bleach and Hitman reborn which lead me to drop shonen manga for a while.

I might not get to read the main series for a while but I'll let you know how I take it.

Granted I'm digging the slice of life feel of the spinoff and I'm hesitant to jump back into the long slog that most shonens fall into. I had a bad expierence with Bleach and Hitman reborn which lead me to drop shonen manga for a while.
    That's understandable, I do think it is paced better than alot of other shonens, but still trying to get into a fairly lengthy series can always feel tough (I'd probably recommend watching the anime first and use that to decide how far ya wanna go)

And also if I remember correctly, Vigilantes is about to end very soon, so you don't have to worry about that dragging on for too long.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I also forgot that Shigaraki still doesn't have some fingers on his left(?) hand after the Re-Destro incident, so he's still got some kind of a limitation with that (even if it's relatively small).

The way she was moving faster than usual, made me think she was using someone else's quirk, but I probably just confused that for her natural speed. She might be only able to do it to people she loves/wants to become, like Uraraka and Twice if they get to his body first. (I also wonder if that would work for Midoryia, we know Monoma can't, but she's still a wild card so who knows)

I think Shigaraki's referring to the PLA, since considering he just woke up and knows the plan to be "**** **** up, and then the other guys will rebuild", he's telling them to prepare for their next step once he's all finished.

My belief is that Shigaraki is probably not gonna look at making Endeavor quirkless in a similar way to what happened to Overhaul, leaving him alive as a sense of punishment, since it feels like he doesn't care about him enough to do that, and would rather just kill him. I do think he probably can't decay him and automatically steal his quirk, and needs to use AFO itself to do it before he can be decayed, leaving an option chance for someone to swoop in and save him. That said, there is so much juicy story potential to gleam from a quirkless Endeavor struggling with being unable to do anything for anyone anymore (especially when he finds out about Dabi).

That panel with Gigantomachia's hand reminded me of the final shot of Cabin In The Woods, such a great chilling image. And I love Shiggy continuing his tradition of stealing a piece of outfit from each of his "antagonists", and that he's so in control of his decay he managed to completely disintegrate X-Less, except his cape lol.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if that means he can't activate Decay with that hand, or if his newfound control means that he doesn't need to touch things with all his fingers.

The quirk of the hero she's impersonating seemed pretty advance (spiritual snake dragon things that could sniff out people or something), so instead of figuring that out it might just be easier for her to default to what she does best. Being super pissed at heroes in general right probably doesn't lend itself to figuring out how weird quirks work either. She'd probably wiff out like Monoma if she tries to copy Deku's quirk.

So Gigantomachia will lead the entire PLA to Shigaraki by punching his way through the heroes. That's probably how he'll end up facing the back up squad.

Whatever happens we can pretty strongly assume that Endeavor is not winning this fight, at least not like All Might did against AFO. That alone is going to be pretty damning for Endeavor's current tenure as the number one hero.

Cabin in the Woods is a good parallel with all the evils of the world seemingly being unleashed now. If wonder if Shiggy would steal anything from Endeavor too.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

That's understandable, I do think it is paced better than alot of other shonens, but still trying to get into a fairly lengthy series can always feel tough (I'd probably recommend watching the anime first and use that to decide how far ya wanna go)

And also if I remember correctly, Vigilantes is about to end very soon, so you don't have to worry about that dragging on for too long.
    The anime is a great way to catch up with the series if you don't want to take on the manga.

Unlike a lot of other popular shounen (One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball) it's split up in very clearly defined seasons so it doesn't feel like it just goes on and on and on, and it allows the production team to give lots of TLC to the moments that demand it. And it lowers the amount of filler episodes for the series (even those are rather charming).

The anime is a great way to catch up with the series if you don't want to take on the manga.

Unlike a lot of other popular shounen (One Piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball) it's split up in very clearly defined seasons so it doesn't feel like it just goes on and on and on, and it allows the production team to give lots of TLC to the moments that demand it. And it lowers the amount of filler episodes for the series (even those are rather charming).
    I agree, it was the anime that got me in MHA (via AmaLee's covers). It's a great way of catching up.

spoilers:
    Oh yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if that means he can't activate Decay with that hand, or if his newfound control means that he doesn't need to touch things with all his fingers.

The quirk of the hero she's impersonating seemed pretty advance (spiritual snake dragon things that could sniff out people or something), so instead of figuring that out it might just be easier for her to default to what she does best. Being super pissed at heroes in general right probably doesn't lend itself to figuring out how weird quirks work either. She'd probably wiff out like Monoma if she tries to copy Deku's quirk.

So Gigantomachia will lead the entire PLA to Shigaraki by punching his way through the heroes. That's probably how he'll end up facing the back up squad.

Whatever happens we can pretty strongly assume that Endeavor is not winning this fight, at least not like All Might did against AFO. That alone is going to be pretty damning for Endeavor's current tenure as the number one hero.

Cabin in the Woods is a good parallel with all the evils of the world seemingly being unleashed now. If wonder if Shiggy would steal anything from Endeavor too.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think it might be possible that he may still need all 5 fingers to activate it (I remembered it also works with his 5 toes as well), but he can touch things with all the fingers without immediately decaying, which would make sense considering how else would be able to use All For One without disintegrating the person.

Toga's abilities, beyond the copy quirk, are kind of weird all around, like I still don't really get how the "make herself invisible when not breathing" works exactly, so her extra agility probably just fits alongside that. And I guess it would depend on if the "stockpiling energy" limitation would apply to her as well. (Also makes me think of those theories that say Monoma and Toga are related, since Toga's parents apparently changed their last names after the incident, so it's somewhat plausible)

He'll get his own burn scar like the other Todorokis
    end of spoilers

Yeah, I first discovered the series after the first 2 seasons, and then binged through the rest of the manga afterward (which at the time went right up to before the Cultural Festival), so that was a really enjoyable experience. I believe it's because Japan has since gone much more laxative on producing seasonal anime, whereas before it used to be just mini-series or weeklys, so now big series like MHA can really take their time with creating the best possible execution as well as following along as an adaptation. Stuff like Black Clover or Boruto are the exception nowadays.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Toga's abilities, beyond the copy quirk, are kind of weird all around, like I still don't really get how the "make herself invisible when not breathing" works exactly, so her extra agility probably just fits alongside that. And I guess it would depend on if the "stockpiling energy" limitation would apply to her as well. (Also makes me think of those theories that say Monoma and Toga are related, since Toga's parents apparently changed their last names after the incident, so it's somewhat plausible)
    end of spoilers
    I always just logged Toga's physical capabilities under "Some people are just tougher, stronger and/or faster even though that's not part of their quirk because it looks cooler that way". Like how Endeavor has some low end superstrength and durability despite it not being part of his power set. But even with that, Toga is remarkably skilled at what she does and considering her background I have to wonder if somebody taught her how fight and stealth and kill as well as she does. Because figuring all that out at her age while on the run is just a wee bit odd.

Toga is remarkably skilled at what she does and considering her background I have to wonder if somebody taught her how fight and stealth and kill as well as she does. Because figuring all that out at her age while on the run is just a wee bit odd.

"You have come far my young apprentice."

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Man, getting legit GOOSEBUMPS right about now! The snowball just keeps building and building and it's about to explode soon and I am so excited!!!

spoilers:
    Endeavor goes after Shigaraki, who is able to almost completely rebuff all of his attacks, regenerating from the fire burns, utilizing enhanced speed, and his own explosion powers.

After grabbing ahold of a couple of the bullets and his remaining face hand, he uses Ragdoll's quirk, Search, to look for One For All, which Endeavor, and also Midoryia over comm, overhears.

Shigaraki finds him, and immediately blasts off into the sky toward him. Knowing that he's looking for him, Midoryia runs off, with Bakugo's support, to find an isolated area to lure Shigaraki and protect the civilians. The other students look on confused and concerned, as Midoryia comms in to Endeavor, to confirm that Shigaraki is after him, and that he has a plan.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    There is so much going on here that just makes me squeal in excitement! Ragdoll's stolen quirk becoming a major plot point after so long is so ingenious. You got Shiggy demonstrating his new insane power levels, and just treating Endeavor as a complete afterthought. And then of course, there's the secret about to come out! Not only is that "Found You" just so incredibly chilling, but now with Midoryia right at the centre of attention, more people are gonna be figuring it all out. Endeavor's gonna piece it all together, now that he knows the phrase "One For All", and then the other classmates, especially Uraraka, are definitively gonna be following along to provide assistance to their friend (you can see one stray star very close to the main 2 near the end there)

Also, I love this Bakugo. He knows now that things are bad, there's more need to be a dick just cause, providing helpful reassurance, encouragement, and support to Midoryia when he desperately needs it, and joins him on this crusade, and at the same time all while protecting the civilians. This is the point when the wait between chapters is gonna become increasingly more agonizing!
    end of spoilers

this War arc has been pretty insane, I'm getting major Marineford/Paramount War vibes thus far. Shigaraki has fully started to arrive as a new era of villainy and it is so insanely satisfying. between this arc and My Villain Academia, Horikoshi really knows how to make this feel like Shigaraki's story without overly humanizing him. I also really love how Horikoshi chooses to use Shigaraki's quirks. when we find out he has All for One you expect that to be what makes him terrifying but his showcasing of One for All is so much more subtle and than his Decay ability. devoting two chapters to the epic scale of Shigaraki's own power before showing him using All of One in a comparatively understated way was a brilliant way of cementing him as his own villain and not simply All for One junior. When he found Deku and jetted off? I was shook! that man is scary.

Also, I love how with the shits Bakugou is! "you going to fight the final boss with your chosen one powers? bet, let me go so I can actually make sure the world is saved." I'm intrigued to see what role he's gonna play in this confrontation because, on top of Shigaraki's scary ass, the Paranormal Liberation Front and Gigantomachina are on the way to Shigaraki. there are about to be some real war shenanigans going down soon.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-07-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

"You have come far my young apprentice."

...they would be friends.

Horrible, terrifying friends.

Extraordinary Member

Man, getting legit GOOSEBUMPS right about now! The snowball just keeps building and building and it's about to explode soon and I am so excited!!!
    There's a lot to take in this week but it happened so fast! And all of it is horrible and I love every bit of it! AAAHHH!!!
    spoilers:
    There is so much going on here that just makes me squeal in excitement! Ragdoll's stolen quirk becoming a major plot point after so long is so ingenious. You got Shiggy demonstrating his new insane power levels, and just treating Endeavor as a complete afterthought. And then of course, there's the secret about to come out! Not only is that "Found You" just so incredibly chilling, but now with Midoryia right at the centre of attention, more people are gonna be figuring it all out. Endeavor's gonna piece it all together, now that he knows the phrase "One For All", and then the other classmates, especially Uraraka, are definitively gonna be following along to provide assistance to their friend (you can see one stray star very close to the main 2 near the end there)

Also, I love this Bakugo. He knows now that things are bad, there's more need to be a dick just cause, providing helpful reassurance, encouragement, and support to Midoryia when he desperately needs it, and joins him on this crusade, and at the same time all while protecting the civilians. This is the point when the wait between chapters is gonna become increasingly more agonizing!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I love how subtly have been mentioned here and there. One of the first conversations we saw between AFO and the doctor had then mentioning a regeneration quirk that they found too late for AFO to use, and when he stole Ragdoll's quirk and decided that Best Jeanist would be too difficult to use properly I always thought he meant for himself. But in hindsight he's been gathering quirks for Shigaraki's rebirth and those were all hints about it. Nice long form story telling!

With Ragdoll's quirk allowing Shigaraki to zero in on Deku it'll really put our main boy center stage as the heroes are all running to stop Shigaraki while Gigantomachia and the PLF are moving to join up with him. Deku won't just be in the thick of that huge mess, he'll be directing where the fight takes place. It's a huge undertaking, but I'm certain he's ready for it... at least I hope so.

The secret is going to be basically impossible to keep after this. After dealing with Shigaraki and his army, everybody will deserve to know what's going on. Though depending on the outcome, it might be less of a priority. I really hope the third star is Uraraka rushing after her best friend, I would love to see her blindside Shigaraki with a meteor rain.

This is a good use of Bakugou. After being such a little **** over his last few appearances really annoyed me, just helping out without any crap is a good way to start getting back on my good side.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this War arc has been pretty insane, I'm getting major Marineford/Paramount War vibes thus far. Shigaraki has fully started to arrive as a new era of villainy and it is so insanely satisfying. between this arc and My Villain Academia, Horikoshi really knows how to make this feel like Shigaraki's story without overly humanizing him. I also really love how Horikoshi chooses to use Shigaraki's quirks. when we find out he has All for One you expect that to be what makes him terrifying but his showcasing of One for All is so much more subtle and than his Decay ability. devoting two chapters to the epic scale of Shigaraki's own power before showing him using All of One in a comparatively understated way was a brilliant way of cementing him as his own villain and not simply All for One junior. When he found Deku and jetted off? I was shook! that man is scary.
    As far as shounen war arcs go, this one is definitely up there for me. I am having a blast with every chapter so far and Horikoshi has constantly kept me guessing how things will go. I'm at the edge of my seat and enjoying every last minute of it. Right now, only the final arc of Fullmetal Alchemist and the marineford arc of One Piece top it in terms of shounen war arcs. But it's really up there for me.

The entire series build up of Shigaraki as a villain leading up to these last few chapters has been well worth it. He is now a full fledged evil force of nature and I don't know how the heroes will stop him. I love it.