Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think he's gonna try erasing One For All, considering the voice in his head (AFO), is telling him to take it and having it for himself is his primary objective. As for whether OFA can be taken by AFO, that's honestly still pretty confusing at this moment. We know OFA can't be transferred without the consent of the user, but in terms of it being taken AFO, all we know is it was "out of his grasp" and "didn't behave as he saw fit", which I'm not sure if this means he attempted to take it and failed, or he never got the chance to because it kept getting passed on. And considering during the Doctor's experiment he explicitly said he'd be able to take OFA, not sure if this means he did something to allow him to do that, or he always could just now he can confront him alot more easily. Also, in Heroes Rising Nine who was given AFO did nearly take OFA, but was seemingly stopped due to the 6 other quirks within OFA going over his 9 quirk limit, so that's something else to take into possible consideration.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well I haven't seen Heroes Rising, so I didn't know about Nine.

Still it doesn't make any sense that OFA could be taken by AFO given the whole consent transfer, which is one of the quirk's main characteristics.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    A lot of it also derives from stereotypical shonen rival logic, where you have the overly upbeat, slightly dense/anxious protagonist and the bitter a-hole rival, with the story treating the two on equal grounds worthy of the same goal, even when the latter character's actions go on the verge of antagonistic. Everyone just resigns to "oh well, that's just how they are", even though it feels like there should be more consequences. It feels like Bakugo's waiting on one big thing to happen to him before his second (or I guess third) big re-examanation. All Might dying or him losing his quirk would definitely do that.

Now that makes me think, if Stain tried to confront him, would he be able to paralyze him? I guess that depends if he'd be able to get close enough to him, which while skilled he might not be that skilled, and we don't even know if Shiggy can still bleed at this point.

Since it looks like there's only like 3 or 4 left, and the process to duplicate them ended up failing, they probably wouldn't be that fully useful for the PLF as a whole, and most likely as just a backup for him. He can't get close enough to someone like Aizawa to take his quirk, well he can just shoot him with it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The weird thing is that I don't really want things to go that bad for Bakugou, I do think he still needs some humble pie. But it should be something that he himself fucks up rather being circumstances outside of his control, like with All Might giving up his strength which was going to happen regardless of whether Bakugou was kidnapped or not. It should be something that actually is Bakugou's fault and that ties into his own flaws and have him go through some self-reflection. Also, I feel like with Mirio we've already got a major character who lost their quirk and we're waiting for them to regain it through Eri. Of course, that number can always go up and it would be interesting to see how Bakugou deals with that (and probably be interesting to contrast against Mirio's graceful way of dealing with it). But I still think I'd more interested in Bakugou fucking up and having to face some goddamn consequences for it.

Shigaraki probably still bleeds. But even if Stain's quirk worked on him, Stain wouldn't be able to actually put him down due to Shigaraki's new healing factor. Thinking about it, the first High End could regenerate from just a head. I wonder if Shigaraki's healing is that potent.

I wonder how he'll use the bullets. Like, he doesn't have a gun for them but he can totally just stab people with them or maybe use his quirks to fire one at people.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Finally got my hands on and read the fourth School Briefs light novel. As always it was charming and plenty entertaining. But I think I was a bit more disappointed in this one. I had hoped for more scenes with little Eri, maybe even a whole chapter from her point of view. And the first chapter that focused on Kirishima, Suneater and Fat Gum was fine, but we've already gotten so much content with that particular group that it felt a bit more of the same, and I think it would've been better to give the spotlight of the chapter to Ryukyu's group.

Still, there's were lots of things I loved about the volume.

Shinso wandering around the school during the festival prep gave some great insight into his mindset at the time and was really heartwarming in place. Same with the Kendo-focused chapter that takes place before the beauty pageant.

The chapter detailing the 1B play was a freaking riot, pretty much everything I could've hoped for including the improv ending.

The penultimate chapter where everybody is just enjoying the festival is cute as heck.

So yeah, I was a bit disappointed due to what I expected from the book, but it was still a fun read.

Extraordinary Member

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note. I've realized that as far as team-ups in the series goes the Izuku/Ochako team so far has 100% success rate.

Together they won their first battle trial, passed the cavalry battle, cleared the first half of the license exam and won the final joint training round. The IzuOcha team is canonically unbeatable!

I mean, yes there were other people involved in the last three examples, and if you want to be nitpicky you can toss in whatever caveats you want. But the most common factor in all these instances is that they have Izuku and Ochako working together on a team and accomplishing their goals. It's one of those things that's pretty obvious, but it happened so naturally that it just flew over my head and now that I've realized it I can't stop smiling about it.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    Well I haven't seen Heroes Rising, so I didn't know about Nine.

Still it doesn't make any sense that OFA could be taken by AFO given the whole consent transfer, which is one of the quirk's main characteristics.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I do hope they more clearly explain how and why he would be able to take it, since it is clear that at least that's exactly what Shigaraki's trying to do, and Midoryia knows he's trying to do that, so someone'll have to question it at some point.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    The weird thing is that I don't really want things to go that bad for Bakugou, I do think he still needs some humble pie. But it should be something that he himself fucks up rather being circumstances outside of his control, like with All Might giving up his strength which was going to happen regardless of whether Bakugou was kidnapped or not. It should be something that actually is Bakugou's fault and that ties into his own flaws and have him go through some self-reflection. Also, I feel like with Mirio we've already got a major character who lost their quirk and we're waiting for them to regain it through Eri. Of course, that number can always go up and it would be interesting to see how Bakugou deals with that (and probably be interesting to contrast against Mirio's graceful way of dealing with it). But I still think I'd more interested in Bakugou fucking up and having to face some goddamn consequences for it.

Shigaraki probably still bleeds. But even if Stain's quirk worked on him, Stain wouldn't be able to actually put him down due to Shigaraki's new healing factor. Thinking about it, the first High End could regenerate from just a head. I wonder if Shigaraki's healing is that potent.

I wonder how he'll use the bullets. Like, he doesn't have a gun for them but he can totally just stab people with them or maybe use his quirks to fire one at people.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I feel like him failing the License Exam was probably the biggest instance of him screwing up due to his own actions, but even then it felt like he was only vaguely humbled by it. Most he really took out of it was not always prioritizing fighting the villains, and jumping in to save others being just as important. There's also him being cut out of the interviews after their post-license fight, but he doesn't seem particularly bothered by that, in comparison to his typical anger. It's hard to tell if his attitude is supposed to be a flaw he has to get over to truly grow, or a quirk (lol) of his everyone else just has to deal with.

Now that's a scary thought, just imagining his head popping off and a new one growing back (ala Deadpool). I don't know if they'd make him THAT unkillable, he's gotta have some sort of weakness, but it'd be really out there if true.

I imagine he might have something like a "Snipe-esque" quirk and can just target and throw the bullets at someone with his own arm.
    end of spoilers

Finally got my hands on and read the fourth School Briefs light novel. As always it was charming and plenty entertaining. But I think I was a bit more disappointed in this one. I had hoped for more scenes with little Eri, maybe even a whole chapter from her point of view. And the first chapter that focused on Kirishima, Suneater and Fat Gum was fine, but we've already gotten so much content with that particular group that it felt a bit more of the same, and I think it would've been better to give the spotlight of the chapter to Ryukyu's group.

Shinso wandering around the school during the festival prep gave some great insight into his mindset at the time and was really heartwarming in place. Same with the Kendo-focused chapter that takes place before the beauty pageant.

The chapter detailing the 1B play was a freaking riot, pretty much everything I could've hoped for including the improv ending.

The penultimate chapter where everybody is just enjoying the festival is cute as heck.

So yeah, I was a bit disappointed due to what I expected from the book, but it was still a fun read.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. The Shinso chapter was great and really delved into the character more than we've ever seen. I liked that he felt bad for what he did in the Sports Festival, and worse knowing Midoryia and Ojiro held no ill will towards him, so him aiming to do his best so he can show his respect towards them was really sweet. And in the Kendo chapter, I loved how they really humanized and fleshed out Eyelash girl and Kendo's friend, gave them much more character, especially the former with her very adorable relationship with Mei.

Todoroki and Iida acting as troubled guardians looking out for selfless Midoryia will always be funny to me, and actually getting to read about the class making Eri's candy apple is adorable. I also love they managed to throw in the "Aizawa cat sweater" gag too. The Kirishima chapter did feel a tad like filler, since we've already seen so much of them together, and while the staff getting blackout drunk was really fun, it did kind of feel like a repeat of the Book 3 chapter. But either way, I still really love these novels and what they bring to expand the characters, and I hope a 5th book is coming eventually.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note. I've realized that as far as team-ups in the series goes the Izuku/Ochako team so far has 100% success rate.

Together they won their first battle trial, passed the cavalry battle, cleared the first half of the license exam and won the final joint training round. The IzuOcha team is canonically unbeatable!

I mean, yes there were other people involved in the last three examples, and if you want to be nitpicky you can toss in whatever caveats you want. But the most common factor in all these instances is that they have Izuku and Ochako working together on a team and accomplishing their goals. It's one of those things that's pretty obvious, but it happened so naturally that it just flew over my head and now that I've realized it I can't stop smiling about it.
    That's a very interesting factoid I didn't think about beforehand. You could even jump back all the way to the Entrance Exam where they both saved each other's lives! If this means the twist is Uraraka is gonna show up and they both win with the power of love (and floating), I will be happy =D

Hopefully my local comic shop will get it soon

spoilers:
    I do hope they more clearly explain how and why he would be able to take it, since it is clear that at least that's exactly what Shigaraki's trying to do, and Midoryia knows he's trying to do that, so someone'll have to question it at some point.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Exactly. If not, he could just destroy it and then he would be unstoppable.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

I pretty much agree with everything you said. The Shinso chapter was great and really delved into the character more than we've ever seen. I liked that he felt bad for what he did in the Sports Festival, and worse knowing Midoryia and Ojiro held no ill will towards him, so him aiming to do his best so he can show his respect towards them was really sweet. And in the Kendo chapter, I loved how they really humanized and fleshed out Eyelash girl and Kendo's friend, gave them much more character, especially the former with her very adorable relationship with Mei.

Todoroki and Iida acting as troubled guardians looking out for selfless Midoryia will always be funny to me, and actually getting to read about the class making Eri's candy apple is adorable. I also love they managed to throw in the "Aizawa cat sweater" gag too.
    The Shinso chapter is also quite interesting when taking into account what we see of him from the Joint Training arc where he's so focused on passing the test that he's saying he's not there to make friends (luckily everybody is so friendly and understanding that it's not a problem at all). So he does respect the hero students and wants to be friendly with them, but he's pushing that aside to focus on actually becoming one of them and catching up as well. Shinso's got a goal, but some conflicting feelings on how to relate to people surrounding that goal. Getting new perspective from a sweet introspective chapter is the best we can get from these novels.

It was really nice to see Kenranzaki get some more characterization beyond funny obstacle for Nejire to overcome. Her interactions with Mei are just naturally funny and surprisingly cute. More people should interact with Mei.

I'm still a bit disappointed that we didn't get an anime version of Aizawa trying to buy the sweater. So any scene that does bring it up is instantly hilarious to me.
    The Kirishima chapter did feel a tad like filler, since we've already seen so much of them together, and while the staff getting blackout drunk was really fun, it did kind of feel like a repeat of the Book 3 chapter. But either way, I still really love these novels and what they bring to expand the characters, and I hope a 5th book is coming eventually.
    I do like the idea of at least one chapter focused on the teachers, mainly because I love them odd discussion they all had in the faculty room in the first book so much. But yeah, I would like more varied scenarios.

The novels are great for side stories and a look at between the scenes stuff and introspections for characters we don't see as often. So I also hope they continue. Next one could show some of the other students' internships, and I would love to see the christmas party from Eri's point of view
    That's a very interesting factoid I didn't think about beforehand. You could even jump back all the way to the Entrance Exam where they both saved each other's lives! If this means the twist is Uraraka is gonna show up and they both win with the power of love (and floating), I will be happy =D
    Flying/Floating is one of the few things that Shigaraki can't actually do that Ochako and, possibly, Deku can do. So I would not mind if they could pull him into an aerial battle and tag team him until the unfinished operation starts acting up and he needs to book it or something.

The Shinso chapter is also quite interesting when taking into account what we see of him from the Joint Training arc where he's so focused on passing the test that he's saying he's not there to make friends (luckily everybody is so friendly and understanding that it's not a problem at all). So he does respect the hero students and wants to be friendly with them, but he's pushing that aside to focus on actually becoming one of them and catching up as well. Shinso's got a goal, but some conflicting feelings on how to relate to people surrounding that goal. Getting new perspective from a sweet introspective chapter is the best we can get from these novels.

It was really nice to see Kenranzaki get some more characterization beyond funny obstacle for Nejire to overcome. Her interactions with Mei are just naturally funny and surprisingly cute. More people should interact with Mei.

I'm still a bit disappointed that we didn't get an anime version of Aizawa trying to buy the sweater. So any scene that does bring it up is instantly hilarious to me.

I do like the idea of at least one chapter focused on the teachers, mainly because I love them odd discussion they all had in the faculty room in the first book so much. But yeah, I would like more varied scenarios.

The novels are great for side stories and a look at between the scenes stuff and introspections for characters we don't see as often. So I also hope they continue. Next one could show some of the other students' internships, and I would love to see the christmas party from Eri's point of view

Flying/Floating is one of the few things that Shigaraki can't actually do that Ochako and, possibly, Deku can do. So I would not mind if they could pull him into an aerial battle and tag team him until the unfinished operation starts acting up and he needs to book it or something.
    Plus there is that moment during said arc with Monoma when he mentions, since everyone is the protagonist of their own story, sometimes you gotta be the villain to succeed, and Shinso comments how he doesn't believe that anymore. So he's someone who's very conflicted with his goals and how he should act to reach it (similar to "Early-roki" as they also joke), and it's gonna be very interesting to see how his attitude changes once he enters the hero course in 2nd year.

Mei has been absent for so long these books made me remember why I love her because she can fit with pretty much everyone. The chapter where she teamed up with Todoroki in Book 3 was a fun one, and in the Team-Up Missions spin-off manga, she meets Melissa from Two Heroes and they have a "support-off", with Midoryia as the victim.

We DID get to have the sweater and Aizawa's depressed reaction in the anime opening at least, so I'm happy they managed to sneak it in there!

Oh yeah, every book does have a chapter dedicated to the teachers and I think that's a really good thing to keep up because it really fleshes out them much more than the manga's ever able to. That's how you get funny stuff like Ectoplasm being obsessed with karaoke, or Thirteen with sealife.

The fifth book definitively has to take place during the Winter Internships, especially considering there's literally no other place they could put it at the moment anyway. There's so much juicy stuff you could gleam from all the other combos of students and pros. And of course, throw in more Christmas party or even the final Remedial Course exam too.

Black Whip + Floating + Uraraka's Gravity may be one of the better options to keep him off the ground, detained, and possibly disoriented.

Plus there is that moment during said arc with Monoma when he mentions, since everyone is the protagonist of their own story, sometimes you gotta be the villain to succeed, and Shinso comments how he doesn't believe that anymore. So he's someone who's very conflicted with his goals and how he should act to reach it (similar to "Early-roki" as they also joke), and it's gonna be very interesting to see how his attitude changes once he enters the hero course in 2nd year.

Mei has been absent for so long these books made me remember why I love her because she can fit with pretty much everyone. The chapter where she teamed up with Todoroki in Book 3 was a fun one, and in the Team-Up Missions spin-off manga, she meets Melissa from Two Heroes and they have a "support-off", with Midoryia as the victim.

We DID get to have the sweater and Aizawa's depressed reaction in the anime opening at least, so I'm happy they managed to sneak it in there!

Oh yeah, every book does have a chapter dedicated to the teachers and I think that's a really good thing to keep up because it really fleshes out them much more than the manga's ever able to. That's how you get funny stuff like Ectoplasm being obsessed with karaoke, or Thirteen with sealife.

The fifth book definitively has to take place during the Winter Internships, especially considering there's literally no other place they could put it at the moment anyway. There's so much juicy stuff you could gleam from all the other combos of students and pros. And of course, throw in more Christmas party or even the final Remedial Course exam too.

Black Whip + Floating + Uraraka's Gravity may be one of the better options to keep him off the ground, detained, and possibly disoriented.
    What, Briefs 4 has more Mei?! Now I really want it

Extraordinary Member

If Bakugou does end up losing his quirk, Shinso would probably get his spot in the A-class. Which could offer some interesting perspective for Bakugou if he saw his replacement be successful while being more friendly but still competitive with the rest of the class.

You reminded me and the Team Up Mission so read up on the chapters, really hope the collected volume gets published in english. The Mei/Melissa chapter was a lot of fun. I can see those two starting and international Hero support business. But I can't help but think that there's a missed gag in not having Ochako to be jealous of both of them.

I would love it if they could include a chapter of Ochako using her new suit upgrades in the field for the first time. Maybe finish it off with some prep before the big assault, or one chapter of Hawks lurking around the PLF. There's lots of fun things that could be done.

Here's hoping. It would be ironic, and sad, to have the lose as a team right after I made that tidbit realization.
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    What, Briefs 4 has more Mei?! Now I really want it
    She is in it and she's a delight, as always.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw a leaked page from the next chapter that showed spoilers:
    Inko, Mitsuki, Rei, Fuyumi and Natsuo.
    end of spoilers

I am concerned.

VERY concerned.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 06-24-2020 at 03:43 PM.

If Bakugou does end up losing his quirk, Shinso would probably get his spot in the A-class. Which could offer some interesting perspective for Bakugou if he saw his replacement be successful while being more friendly but still competitive with the rest of the class.

You reminded me and the Team Up Mission so read up on the chapters, really hope the collected volume gets published in english. The Mei/Melissa chapter was a lot of fun. I can see those two starting and international Hero support business. But I can't help but think that there's a missed gag in not having Ochako to be jealous of both of them.

I would love it if they could include a chapter of Ochako using her new suit upgrades in the field for the first time. Maybe finish it off with some prep before the big assault, or one chapter of Hawks lurking around the PLF. There's lots of fun things that could be done.
    That makes me remember I really wanna see Shinso and Bakugo interact, because he's pretty much Bakugo's worst enemy, someone he can't talk back to lol

I imagine we won't be getting a physical English volume until most of the series is collected, but it is still weird Jump/Viz haven't put out official translations digitally yet. If I had to guess, it's because of TUM's very sparadtic scheduling, so they might be waiting until it starts getting released consistently before putting it out here. I have been really enjoying this series, it's that kind of "everyday adventure" that lets the characters breathe which School Briefs did so well, you got fun ones like Mei vs. Melissa and the Fat Gum one, but also even some heartfelt ones like the one with the kid and Mirko.

I didn't mind we didn't get more of Ochako being jealous, since I think they've already run that well pretty dry, and her being flustered or embarrassed is good enough. She should also probably know by now Melissa is just a good friend to him, and Mei is, well, Mei. (Also quick side note, for Midoryia early on being joked about online as just another "Shonen harem protag", it's really only Uraraka who's interested in him in any meaningful way....unless you count Toga too)

Extraordinary Member

I didn't mind we didn't get more of Ochako being jealous, since I think they've already run that well pretty dry, and her being flustered or embarrassed is good enough. She should also probably know by now Melissa is just a good friend to him, and Mei is, well, Mei. (Also quick side note, for Midoryia early on being joked about online as just another "Shonen harem protag", it's really only Uraraka who's interested in him in any meaningful way....unless you count Toga too)
    Thinking about it the last we saw of Ochako's jealousy was her punching it out of her as Deku mentioned Mei and she recalled Mei's hands-on approach to measuring people. And including it would've felt like beating a dead horse. Though I'm pretty sure Ochako is still weirded out by Mei's... Mei-ness.

But I do think it would've been funnier than what the the side characters that were present offered. Thrown in Iida as well and have the two of them get increasingly worried as Mei and Melissa contest cause more damage to USJ than the League of Villains attack did.

I constantly role my eyes at people saying that Izuku's had deeper/more meaningful interactions with like Tsuyu and Melissa than he has with Ochako. It's just wrong. But yeah, Ochako is the only one with a romantic interest in him. I'm not sure how to classify Toga's interest but it sure as hell ain't romantic. Speaking of which, I wonder how Toga will react if she sees Izuku after all the things that have happened?