Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 150
  1. #61
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Just checked that only one place in Ireland is going to show Heroes Rising and it's too far away
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  2. #62
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Just checked that only one place in Ireland is going to show Heroes Rising and it's too far away
    I flew from Stockholm to London to see Two Heroes in the cinema and back again in the same day

    It was kinda dumb but also memorable.

  3. #63
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I think what that may be to give an indication of how long it may take for one group to make it to the other due to whatever situations going on, giving the heroes a certain amount of time to prepare. Like if Gigantomachia decides to book it to the hospital, or the Nomu head towards the PLA base. And like you mentioned about Hawks being able to make it because of his fast flight, I think this is where Midoryia's "Float" ability will become of good use.

    It is interesting to think about how despite the wide abundance of quirks that exist, there are still some that are fairly elusive to both the heroes and villains. Like how Kurogiri and John are the only teleporters we know about, and they're both Nomus. I'm still waiting for the Psychic to show up so we can get MHA's Dark Phoenix saga lol. Although really, a mind reader would be incredibly useful for both sides. There is Mandalay's telepath, but that's a different case.
    end of spoilers
    It is rather interesting that some more traditional power sets are kinda not a thing in the series.

    Like, the Iida family is the closest thing to speedsters we have.

    There are a few psychic abilities, but they are limited as you mention, besides Mandalay's telepathy there's also a few minor cases of telekinesis spread here and there.

    Which is fine, I really like all the oddball and creative more alternative powers Horikoshi comes up with. They're all fun.

  4. #64
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    And our dear doctor has recieved his new real name.

    He is henceforth known as Kyudai Garaki.

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It is rather interesting that some more traditional power sets are kinda not a thing in the series.

    Like, the Iida family is the closest thing to speedsters we have.

    There are a few psychic abilities, but they are limited as you mention, besides Mandalay's telepathy there's also a few minor cases of telekinesis spread here and there.

    Which is fine, I really like all the oddball and creative more alternative powers Horikoshi comes up with. They're all fun.
    I agree, I do think one of the best, and honestly more under appreciated aspects, of the series is the wide variety of superpowers the characters possess. With just how many superheroes exist (in Marvel and DC alone), you'd think we'd run out of superpowers by now, but Horikoshi's manages to come up with so many unique ones, and even unique takes on existing ones.

    Like Bakugo's quirk, sweating nitro glycerin and using that to create explosions, is such an ingenious concept. Or how each person who controls fire does so in very different ways. Re-Destro's stress ability, Ending's line manipulation, Stain's blood immobilization, the 1B dude who uses comic book onomatopoeia. So many cool powers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I flew from Stockholm to London to see Two Heroes in the cinema and back again in the same day

    It was kinda dumb but also memorable.
    Damn that's crazy, but also dedicated!

    Two Heroes thankfully was showing at a theatre fairly close to me (few buses away) so I managed that alright. Thankfully Heroes Rising is not only being shown in multiple theatres close to me, and on multiple days too, so it's not too much of a worry. (This is all in Canada)
    Last edited by Inversed; 02-11-2020 at 06:08 PM.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  6. #66
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I agree, I do think one of the best, and honestly more under appreciated aspects, of the series is the wide variety of superpowers the characters possess. With just how many superheroes exist (in Marvel and DC alone), you'd think we'd run out of superpowers by now, but Horikoshi's manages to come up with so many unique ones, and even unique takes on existing ones.

    Like Bakugo's quirk, sweating nitro glycerin and using that to create explosions, is such an ingenious concept. Or how each person who controls fire does so in very different ways. Re-Destro's stress ability, Ending's line manipulation, Stain's blood immobilization, the 1B dude who uses comic book onomatopoeia. So many cool powers!
    Just the Earphone Jack quirk using extended earlobes for a fairly wide variety of uses when in most western comics extended earlobes would probably be the power of a joke character.

    And the nice spin he gives to more well known power sets like Mirio Permeation. At times Horikoshi's creativity with powers rivals that of Eichiro Oda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Damn that's crazy, but also dedicated!

    Two Heroes thankfully was showing at a theatre fairly close to me (few buses away) so I managed that alright. Thankfully Heroes Rising is not only being shown in multiple theatres close to me, and on multiple days too, so it's not too much of a worry. (This is all in Canada)
    Yeah, I was lucky to find a window on a Sunday that worked for me. Don't think I can do that with Heroes Rising. Also, it was rather exhausting actually. But I had fun with the movie and posting about the trip on facebook.

    Canada has it pretty good when it comes to anime movies I've gathered. At least compared to Sweden where we're lucky to get one a year, but rarely even that.

  7. #67
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    I flew from Stockholm to London to see Two Heroes in the cinema and back again in the same day

    It was kinda dumb but also memorable.
    That was insane, at least you had a good time.
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  8. #68
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Pretty quick chapter this week too (I think that we're going to get a lot of this pace for this big arc), but it has a rather significant development.

    spoilers:
    The doctor reminisces about working with All For One as Mirko busts up a large part of his lab with her attack. Most of the other heroes are fighting other Nomus or evacuating the civilians and can't rush to Mirko's side right away. Only Crust, no. 6 on the ranking, is in hot pursuit.

    Mirko leaps after the doctor to take him down, but one of the smaller Nomus, this one with Twice's quirk, distracts her long enough for the doctor to activate his ace in the hole. Five High End Nomus. These ones seem to be slightly more coherent than the last one we saw, which was apparently named Hood.

    Crust arrives on the scene and is confronted by one of the High Ends as the doctor makes his escape in his chair. Chapter end.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    Oh boy. It took two top ranking heroes working together to bring down one High End, and they barely pulled that off. So five of them is indeed a worthy threat. I like their varied designs.

    The doctor really cared about his weird monster experiments, not enough to not sacrifice them of course. But it's kinda refreshing to see one of the major antagonist panic and get terrified when faced with heroes, rather than smugly laughing about having perfect back-up plans for everything or something similar. He also truly believes that All For One is his comrade, which I would highly question given what we know about All For One. In general, though brief I like what this chapter revealed about our dear mad scientist.

    It'll be fun to see what Crust can do. For some reason I thought he was a bit odd during the top 10 reveal, so more insight into his character is very welcome.
    end of spoilers

    Oh, and the series is taking a break next week.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 02-16-2020 at 10:01 AM.

  9. #69
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Pretty quick chapter this week too (I think that we're going to get a lot of this pace for this big arc), but it has a rather significant development.
    Yeah, I had a feeling it was going to be like this, when majority of it is just battles and fighting, we'll have alot of chapters that feel similar to each other in a row, so the flow between each week (or two) may end up dragging on a bit. And that goes double for this considering absolutely everybody's involved here.

    spoilers:
    Oh boy. It took two top ranking heroes working together to bring down one High End, and they barely pulled that off. So five of them is indeed a worthy threat. I like their varied designs.

    The doctor really cared about his weird monster experiments, not enough to not sacrifice them of course. But it's kinda refreshing to see one of the major antagonist panic and get terrified when faced with heroes, rather than smugly laughing about having perfect back-up plans for everything or something similar. He also truly believes that All For One is his comrade, which I would highly question given what we know about All For One. In general, though brief I like what this chapter revealed about our dear mad scientist.

    It'll be fun to see what Crust can do. For some reason I thought he was a bit odd during the top 10 reveal, so more insight into his character is very welcome.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I know they do say that these High End aren't as complete as Hood was, but that's still nothing to completely scoff at, at least the confined areas would work to their advantage in this instance. I wonder if we'll get to know at least somewhat of who these High End were originally, just like we did with Hood. Their designs and personality do help explain alot about them too.

    I'd actually argue, considering everything we know about All For One, is that he does (in his own way) genuinely care about people like the Doctor or Shigaraki. Even when he's being more manipulative, he's never not been sincere regarding his feelings and intentions. He recognizes the great work in the Doctor's experiments and they work together excellently because they both know they can benefit each other (AFO gets to learn more about the exact nature of quirks, and Doctor gets access to more to experiment on), and also with how he fathers and gives the right amount of attention and space to Shigaraki. I think he sees those two not like they are beneath him, rather as just extensions of himself. And you can kind of see that through his interactions with his brother (OFA), that he wanted the same thing from him.

    This arc is also a good way to show us why exactly the "Top 10" heroes are the "Top 10" since we don't really know much about most of them so it's hard to fully invest in their placements and abilities. Like showing just how fast and powerful Mirko really is, and now getting to see what Crust can actually do.

    I also noticed as the Doctor's zooming away on his chair, it shows a shot of a destroyed canister, which I have to assume is Shigaraki's, possibly hidden him in some status as he gets away (maybe using Compress' quirk?)
    end of spoilers
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  10. #70
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    spoilers:
    A solid chapter, it is good to see the top 10 heroes getting a chance, though there is a risk of this ending up like Bleach's last arc, if we aren't careful. Also hopefully we aren't going to see too much; 'the heroes find the doctor but he gets away from them'
    end of spoilers
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  11. #71
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yeah, I had a feeling it was going to be like this, when majority of it is just battles and fighting, we'll have alot of chapters that feel similar to each other in a row, so the flow between each week (or two) may end up dragging on a bit. And that goes double for this considering absolutely everybody's involved here.
    Which means that it'll probably be a nice swift and action packed read when the volumes come out and the anime gets to this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I know they do say that these High End aren't as complete as Hood was, but that's still nothing to completely scoff at, at least the confined areas would work to their advantage in this instance. I wonder if we'll get to know at least somewhat of who these High End were originally, just like we did with Hood. Their designs and personality do help explain alot about them too.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    If there's anything left to salvage of the research after this is all said and done, I can see them going through the real name for each High End in the arc epilogue (maybe as a way of figuring out how Ujiko is finding these people and narrowing down a way to search for him). I'm really curious as to what each one can do, especially the one that kinda looks like Majin Buu.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I'd actually argue, considering everything we know about All For One, is that he does (in his own way) genuinely care about people like the Doctor or Shigaraki. Even when he's being more manipulative, he's never not been sincere regarding his feelings and intentions. He recognizes the great work in the Doctor's experiments and they work together excellently because they both know they can benefit each other (AFO gets to learn more about the exact nature of quirks, and Doctor gets access to more to experiment on), and also with how he fathers and gives the right amount of attention and space to Shigaraki. I think he sees those two not like they are beneath him, rather as just extensions of himself. And you can kind of see that through his interactions with his brother (OFA), that he wanted the same thing from him.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    That is true, All For One is the typical tyrant villain who punishes failure with instant death. He just rolls with it and doesn't waste worthwhile resources, especially ones that he's put so much time into. If there's one thing that truly seperates AFO from other big bads, it's that he knows how to help other people grow and reach their true dark potential, in a way that benefits his goals. It helps that this world isn't governed as much by power levels as some other shounen action series (not saying that power creep doesn't exist, but even the people with slightly less powerful abilities can be hella useful and dangerous).

    Extensions of him is a good way of putting it. Like All Might, All For One was aware that his time was kinda running short. So he made sure that his legacy would live on, and he was willing to sacrifice himself for it.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    This arc is also a good way to show us why exactly the "Top 10" heroes are the "Top 10" since we don't really know much about most of them so it's hard to fully invest in their placements and abilities. Like showing just how fast and powerful Mirko really is, and now getting to see what Crust can actually do.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It's also a good way of showing how powerful the kids can get later on. But of course, letting us see these side characters is raising quite a lot of death flags.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    I also noticed as the Doctor's zooming away on his chair, it shows a shot of a destroyed canister, which I have to assume is Shigaraki's, possibly hidden him in some status as he gets away (maybe using Compress' quirk?)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Possibly. Compress' quirk would be really useful for a guy like Ujiko, and we've seen that he's already duplicated Twice's quirk. So it is within reason that he's copied more of the League's quirks as well.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    A solid chapter, it is good to see the top 10 heroes getting a chance, though there is a risk of this ending up like Bleach's last arc, if we aren't careful. Also hopefully we aren't going to see too much; 'the heroes find the doctor but he gets away from them'
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I have a feeling that we'll soon (in a few chapters) switch over to the group going after the PLF big wigs. So this particular cat and mouse game won't overstay its welcome. They've already dealt a massive blow to our dear doctor's research. So I can see him getting away and swearing to rebuild.
    end of spoilers

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    If there's anything left to salvage of the research after this is all said and done, I can see them going through the real name for each High End in the arc epilogue (maybe as a way of figuring out how Ujiko is finding these people and narrowing down a way to search for him). I'm really curious as to what each one can do, especially the one that kinda looks like Majin Buu.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I know with Hood, all we really knew about him was that he was a low-ranking thug/street fighter and their personalities resembled each other, don't believe we even got a name for him. I do really love getting to see these Nomus with actual characters, makes them feel not only more substantial but more interesting and fun to watch too.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    That is true, All For One is the typical tyrant villain who punishes failure with instant death. He just rolls with it and doesn't waste worthwhile resources, especially ones that he's put so much time into. If there's one thing that truly seperates AFO from other big bads, it's that he knows how to help other people grow and reach their true dark potential, in a way that benefits his goals. It helps that this world isn't governed as much by power levels as some other shounen action series (not saying that power creep doesn't exist, but even the people with slightly less powerful abilities can be hella useful and dangerous).

    Extensions of him is a good way of putting it. Like All Might, All For One was aware that his time was kinda running short. So he made sure that his legacy would live on, and he was willing to sacrifice himself for it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    We probably won't be getting this until much MUCH further down the line in the story, but I do hope we get to see more of how AFO handled his business, especially during the years after OFA's creation, and how he handled his motivations. Like we know he took in Tomoura before his fight with All Might, so it's assumed he didn't intend for him to be his successor until after he was beaten badly, so I wonder if we may find out what his initial intentions with him may have been, beyond just a "Take that" to Nana Shimura.
    end of spoilers

    spoilers:
    It's also a good way of showing how powerful the kids can get later on. But of course, letting us see these side characters is raising quite a lot of death flags.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, it is pretty obvious these first couple battles will be primarily focused on the adults, before things eventually get out of hand and the kids all have to step up. I am really excited to see what all the match-ups are gonna be, and who fights who, there's so many possibilities.

    I am still dubious regarding how many deaths there will actually be in this arc, since the series up to this point has been pretty light on the body count, I think you can count on one hand how many named characters have presently been killed. Outside of "Japan's Big 3", which still have the biggest death flags for me narrative wise, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the heroes get by just getting de-commissioned in some other way.
    end of spoilers
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

  13. #73
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,174

    Default



    Is anybody here going to watch this on the big screen?

  14. #74
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post


    Is anybody here going to watch this on the big screen?
    I really want to but there is only one place in Ireland showing it and it's too far away.
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

  15. #75
    Tyrant Sun User leokearon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Waterford, Ireland
    Posts
    2,428

    Default



    New My Hero Academia figures from McFarlane Toys
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

    Vote for your favourite Marvel Supporting Characters: http://community.comicbookresources....ing-characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •