Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I agree that Gentle would never work at any other point. I think my main reason I'm not invested in his storyline is due to the villains keep interrupting when we get a chance to focus on Class 1-A being able to do student stuff. It would be nice to focus on the actual class stuff without a villain saying hello, especially with the next major arc focusing on the villains.
    I get what you're saying. It's always nice to have some regular school activities (not related to hero class stuff since there are several arcs dedicated to just those classes) for the kids, and this arc is the most focus on that aspect of the education.

But I wouldn't say that Gentle takes away anything from that part of the arc or even interrupts it. Deku stops Gentle before he ruins the festival and we get to see the full glory of the concert. The main part with Gentle takes place in a focused segement away from the festival. And I don't think that we would've gotten any more scenes of the kids doing school festival stuff even if Gentle was removed.

I agree that Gentle would never work at any other point. I think my main reason I'm not invested in his storyline is due to the villains keep interrupting when we get a chance to focus on Class 1-A being able to do student stuff. It would be nice to focus on the actual class stuff without a villain saying hello, especially with the next major arc focusing on the villains.
    I would say that the Cultural Festival needed some kind of stakes to it to make it feel more effective. Being literally just the kids planning and then performing the festival would be fun on its own, but adding a threat gives it more substance, and makes the show that much more satisfying when it finally happens.

And I'll add that Gentle having no connection to the LoV, the only main antagonist to do so, helps to make him stand out in a much different way compared to all the other villain encounters. Plus, the stakes are directly focused on the students and are more personal, if Gentle succeeds, the festival gets cancelled but its ultimately not that big a deal, so instead it becomes about not wanting everyone's hard work to be in vein, and so that Eri can get her fun and happiness.

Back from seeing Heroes Rising, and wooooo boy is it a wild ride! If you're a fan of the series you definitively want to see this, it packs all sorts of punch! It does everything Two Heroes did just as well, and sometimes better, and shines in all the parts the first movie may have lacked.

Quick Points:
    Pretty much all of Class 1A get their chance to shine. It does what these movies do best, show us all the great team-ups and interactions we don't get enough of in the main series. Not just fighting, but even the simple and casual hero stuff is so nice to see.

Katsuma and Mahoro are so cute and really fun characters. In terms of movie originals, they are probably overall better realized than Melissa (and I already really liked her).

Nine, while still mostly a one-note villain, is a very commanding presence and works as essentially an unstoppable force of nature. His lackies also have fairly memorable designs and personalities.

Bakugo is used to great effective here. He's still the brash, dick type, but he's not really as much as an ******* as he usually is. Plus we get alot of him and Midoryia teaming up, and that alone is so satisfying!

Midoryia himself I think shines alot too, I love how confident he is for majority of it, especially with how he talks to Katsuma, it's a very subtle way of showing just how much he's grown throughout the story.

Animation and action is completely top-notch, as you might expect.

One thing I will say is that this movie isn't as funny as Two Heroes, that one had some of the funniest moments in the entire series, while this just had a couple decent laughs. Though its priority is both a mix of chill and bombast, rather than inherent adrenaline, so it's not that big an issue.

Also to re-clarify chronology, this does indeed take place during the MLA arc in what will be Season 5, or to be more specific spoilers:
    right after Bakugo & Todoroki get their licenses, but before the League's battle with the MLA
    end of spoilers. For anime onlys, most of the big developments and changes are something you'd only immediately recognize if you've read the manga, so there's not too much to worry.

MAJOR SPOILERS HERE, DON'T LOOK UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE
    spoilers:
    So Midoryia and Bakugo dual-wielding One For All is something I did not expect seeing and absolutely love on just the insanity level. Going full super saiyan on an apocalyptic Archangel is the type of metal **** only these movies could provide. I didn't know how they were gonna beat Two Heroes' final battle, but they did it, even if they had to break reality to do it. (Also Bakugo getting OFA is most likely the "Original Ending" that Horikoshi teased about)

I did spend the whole time going, "How are they're gonna get around this", and at least the answer they gave did made some sense (One For All temporarily transferred itself over since we know it's alive), even if we did also have to do "Bakugo forgets about it" in order to make it work.

I do think showing the OFA members, mentioning that he can wield multiple quirks, and the fact that OFA is sentient is a fairly big spoiler, since that was a huge reveal in the story, but I can also see it as not being as big a deal as they are mostly vague allusions, and we don't even see Black Whip at all.

Also minor thing, just like how I loved the Midoryia/All Might allusion at the end of Two Heroes, Katsuma copying Midoryia's "leap of faith" when going to face Nine I really love. It's these small evocations that always hit me the hardest.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Inversed; 03-01-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Gaah!!! I'm going to have to wait like half a year or however long it takes for the movie to get to home media before I can jump into that big spoiler block!

I'm glad you enjoyed though Inversed, and your report about the entire class getting to shine lines up with what I've seen people say everywhere else. So I'm looking forward to that a lot. Would you say (without going into details) that there's any standout performance from any of the students that usually don't get to show their skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Gaah!!! I'm going to have to wait like half a year or however long it takes for the movie to get to home media before I can jump into that big spoiler block!

I'm glad you enjoyed though Inversed, and your report about the entire class getting to shine lines up with what I've seen people say everywhere else. So I'm looking forward to that a lot. Would you say (without going into details) that there's any standout performance from any of the students that usually don't get to show their skills?
    Same here. Glad you enjoyed it Inversed

Awwww, damn. Really hope you're able to check it out somehow sooner than later!

In terms of the more under-represented students, Ojiro and Shoji get some pretty stand-out moments where they really get to kick ass.

They really take advantage of everyone's abilities, and even when some aren't used to as greater extent as others, everyone plays an important factor in each of the plans and fights, so they all get to shine. Plus, by putting this so far down in the story, you get to see all the characters at pretty much their most experienced, there are lots of little callbacks to the characters using special moves and abilities they've been developing throughout the series, so that's really exciting.

I will say, while they all contribute to the action, don't go in expecting them to be super plot important. The story is still primarily focused on Midoryia, Bakugo, and the two kids, so even people like Uraraka and Todoroki are just relegated to part of the ensemble, which when you're working with a big cast like this, it makes sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Awwww, damn. Really hope you're able to check it out somehow sooner than later!

In terms of the more under-represented students, Ojiro and Shoji get some pretty stand-out moments where they really get to kick ass.

They really take advantage of everyone's abilities, and even when some aren't used to as greater extent as others, everyone plays an important factor in each of the plans and fights, so they all get to shine. Plus, by putting this so far down in the story, you get to see all the characters at pretty much their most experienced, there are lots of little callbacks to the characters using special moves and abilities they've been developing throughout the series, so that's really exciting.

I will say, while they all contribute to the action, don't go in expecting them to be super plot important. The story is still primarily focused on Midoryia, Bakugo, and the two kids, so even people like Uraraka and Todoroki are just relegated to part of the ensemble, which when you're working with a big cast like this, it makes sense.
    Yeah, in Sweden we get some anime movie, but only the really big fancy ones. Like I saw Weathering With You a few weeks ago and Your Name at the cinema when it was making the rounds. And we always got the Ghibli movies. But that's about it.

We never get the silly shounen movies here. We missed out on Dragon Ball Super: Broly, no way are we getting a My Hero Academia-screening here.

Oh well, I will be as patient as possible, and set my expectations in accordance with what you have said. I'm very happy that Shoji and Ojiro get to show off a bit. But yeah, with a big cast like this it's best to just expect snippets of character moments rather than fullblown arcs for the supporting characters.

Yeah, in Sweden we get some anime movie, but only the really big fancy ones. Like I saw Weathering With You a few weeks ago and Your Name at the cinema when it was making the rounds. And we always got the Ghibli movies. But that's about it.

We never get the silly shounen movies here. We missed out on Dragon Ball Super: Broly, no way are we getting a My Hero Academia-screening here.

Oh well, I will be as patient as possible, and set my expectations in accordance with what you have said. I'm very happy that Shoji and Ojiro get to show off a bit. But yeah, with a big cast like this it's best to just expect snippets of character moments rather than fullblown arcs for the supporting characters.
    At that point, I wouldn't blame you for finding the film through....other means....until it comes out on home media, just so you can experience it somehow lol

Pretty much everyone does get at least one memorable "Wow" moment. Tokoyami and Todoroki might have my favourites.

Well Heroes Rising made $2.47 million on it opening day which is very good

Chapter 262 is out:

spoilers:
    It mostly focuses on Mirko kicking Nomu butt, while it seems that Tomura upgrade is only at 71%.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Chapter 262 is out:

spoilers:
    It mostly focuses on Mirko kicking Nomu butt, while it seems that Tomura upgrade is only at 71%.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I interpreted it as Shigaraki's current upgrade being at 71% and getting closer to completion (it does go from 70 to 71 this chapter. Meaning that it's probably just one of several upgrades he's gone through recently since it's supposed to take another month for him to finish cooking. Of course it is absolutely possible that this is an incubation period after the initial operation and that the doctor does estimate it to take another month to reach 100%. If that's the case he'll absolutely have to speed up the process and that'll lead to interesting results.

Mirko is damn strong, and fast and she's got heightened hearing. She's really just a super bunny person, actually confirmed this chapter. For a side character she is a lot of fun.

And Crust can make scale like shields grow from his body. That's pretty cool.

This chapter is quite noticeably brutal with all the devastating blows Mirko delivers and the arm she loses and the head she rips off with her legs!!!

Even with all that I'm glad we're moving over to the other site now. I am ready to see what's going on over there.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

And in the anime, they actually kept the entire name for class 1B's amazing play.

I'm actually surprised by that, and very delighted.

spoilers:
    I interpreted it as Shigaraki's current upgrade being at 71% and getting closer to completion (it does go from 70 to 71 this chapter. Meaning that it's probably just one of several upgrades he's gone through recently since it's supposed to take another month for him to finish cooking. Of course it is absolutely possible that this is an incubation period after the initial operation and that the doctor does estimate it to take another month to reach 100%. If that's the case he'll absolutely have to speed up the process and that'll lead to interesting results.

Mirko is damn strong, and fast and she's got heightened hearing. She's really just a super bunny person, actually confirmed this chapter. For a side character she is a lot of fun.

And Crust can make scale like shields grow from his body. That's pretty cool.

This chapter is quite noticeably brutal with all the devastating blows Mirko delivers and the arm she loses and the head she rips off with her legs!!!

Even with all that I'm glad we're moving over to the other site now. I am ready to see what's going on over there.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I can see the Doctor being forced to awaken Tomura early, which will be very interesting indeed
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Mirko getting her arm blown off by a black hole and being nearly completely unphased by it is one of the most metal things in this entire series. People already loved her design, but in just 3 chapters I think she's already jumped forward to be many's new favourite.

And yeah, looks like Doctor's basically stalling to try and get Shigaraki to effectively "update" as fast as possible. Won't be surprised if he's forced to either speed up the process somehow, and leave him slightly incomplete, but still in control, or the plug gets pulled early. (Although thanks to Heroes Rising, I do think I have a more clearer understanding over what exactly the experiment is. Rather than a Shigaraki-Nomu, it's a process that will allow him to utilize a duplicate of All For One, which is what Nine was)

Also, since Gorillaz guy now knows for certain Hawks is the leak (and that it's Twice's fault), hope we get to see where those two are next.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    Mirko getting her arm blown off by a black hole and being nearly completely unphased by it is one of the most metal things in this entire series. People already loved her design, but in just 3 chapters I think she's already jumped forward to be many's new favourite.

And yeah, looks like Doctor's basically stalling to try and get Shigaraki to effectively "update" as fast as possible. Won't be surprised if he's forced to either speed up the process somehow, and leave him slightly incomplete, but still in control, or the plug gets pulled early. (Although thanks to Heroes Rising, I do think I have a more clearer understanding over what exactly the experiment is. Rather than a Shigaraki-Nomu, it's a process that will allow him to utilize a duplicate of All For One, which is what Nine was)

Also, since Gorillaz guy now knows for certain Hawks is the leak (and that it's Twice's fault), hope we get to see where those two are next.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Making Shigaraki into the next All For One rather than some kind of super Nomu makes a lot of sense. As we discussed earlier, AfO does care for Shigaraki and has invested a lot to ensure that his legacy lives on in Shigaraki. It makes sense that he, and the doctor, would want to turn him into something more than just a super weapon. It'll be interesting to see what kind of effect this disruption has on the experiment and Shigaraki's psyche (if it gets to the point where it has to be ended early or he gets knocked out it that).

As cool as it's been to see some pro heroes kick ass, I've gotta say that I'm a bit more interested in the assault on the PLF HQ. That's where our main cast is along with most of the villains. So many things can go down there.
    end of spoilers