Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Woooooooo, this chapter was equal parts exciting and incredibly tense, I really loved it.

spoilers:
    The heroes take out all the entrances to the Hideout's Underground Facility, locking Re-Destro and many of the members in, with Re-Destro starting to stress up to an intense degree.

Continuing on from Kaminari's absorption, the other heroes quickly take charge, as Edgeshot, Midnight, Kamui Woods, Mudman, and Komori each take out hoardes of the members, with Gang Orca leading the charge.

Meanwhile, Hawks tells the captured Twice all about his plans, leading Twice to get more depressed and anxious over once again involuntarily screwing the League over after what happened with Overhaul. Hawks tries to say he wants to help him because he knows he's a good person, but Hawks has none of it, creating a whole bunch of clones holding him back, as he screams out his only reason for existence is to give his teammates the happiness they deserve.

It concludes with as someone (either Hawks or Dabi) commenting how the heroes are the real bad ones, as Dabi makes his way up the stairs, with an incredibly eerie smile.

Not only was it really fun to see the power of all the other heroes very easily taking out huge swarms of villains and working off each other, Twice was the "hero" of this chapter. Moments like this always remind me why he's legitimately my favourite character in the series. You just feel so bad for him, he wants to do good and help out the people who actually care for him, and is constantly screwed over whether by his own actions or others decisions. Like Hawks says, he's not a bad person, he's just doing what he needs to do survive. His whole "It's happening again!" as he just curls up in an anxious stress ball, I felt that on an instinctual level.

And having all this with Hawks as the intimidating one, in complete silhouette with dead-shot eyes, makes it all the more effective and helps to muddy the waters of "hero" and "villain" when it comes to "profession" vs. "ideology". The current TLs are kind of iffy regarding that final line, so I need to wait for the official one to figure out its intentions, because the meaning can change fairly differently depending on if it ends up being Hawks or Dabi saying it.
    end of spoilers

Definitely waiting for a price drop. Gamestop are asking for €70 for it. Really hoping it gets a price drop now

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Woooooooo, this chapter was equal parts exciting and incredibly tense, I really loved it.

spoilers:
    The heroes take out all the entrances to the Hideout's Underground Facility, locking Re-Destro and many of the members in, with Re-Destro starting to stress up to an intense degree.

Continuing on from Kaminari's absorption, the other heroes quickly take charge, as Edgeshot, Midnight, Kamui Woods, Mudman, and Komori each take out hoardes of the members, with Gang Orca leading the charge.

Meanwhile, Hawks tells the captured Twice all about his plans, leading Twice to get more depressed and anxious over once again involuntarily screwing the League over after what happened with Overhaul. Hawks tries to say he wants to help him because he knows he's a good person, but Hawks has none of it, creating a whole bunch of clones holding him back, as he screams out his only reason for existence is to give his teammates the happiness they deserve.

It concludes with as someone (either Hawks or Dabi) commenting how the heroes are the real bad ones, as Dabi makes his way up the stairs, with an incredibly eerie smile.

Not only was it really fun to see the power of all the other heroes very easily taking out huge swarms of villains and working off each other, Twice was the "hero" of this chapter. Moments like this always remind me why he's legitimately my favourite character in the series. You just feel so bad for him, he wants to do good and help out the people who actually care for him, and is constantly screwed over whether by his own actions or others decisions. Like Hawks says, he's not a bad person, he's just doing what he needs to do survive. His whole "It's happening again!" as he just curls up in an anxious stress ball, I felt that on an instinctual level.

And having all this with Hawks as the intimidating one, in complete silhouette with dead-shot eyes, makes it all the more effective and helps to muddy the waters of "hero" and "villain" when it comes to "profession" vs. "ideology". The current TLs are kind of iffy regarding that final line, so I need to wait for the official one to figure out its intentions, because the meaning can change fairly differently depending on if it ends up being Hawks or Dabi saying it.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I would say that it's Dabi who says the last few lines of the chapter. Which would be quite nice since it shows that he actually kinda cares about his fellow League members, he's always seemed a bit more aloof an not as committed as some of the jolier members). The line also fits how Dabi views hero society, so I'd definitely say it's him. And you gotta love that wicked smile of his, though I'm a bit terrified that his stiches will come undone and that'll be gross.

It is great to see both experienced heroes and hero students working compotently together. They've trained for this kind of scenario and have the surprise advantage, so it makes total sense that they're cleaning up house with the early waves of grunts that couldn't do much against six villains. It'll be interesting when the PLF big wigs enter the fray though Re-Destro alone is quite the powerhouse, especially with the amounts of instant stress he's feeling right now.

But yeah, Twice is just as fanastic as always. He's the heart of the League of Villains and in many ways he represents that there's something credible about what the League desires, even if their methods are abhorrent and they're planning on taking it too the violent extreme. Casting him as the good guy to Hawks intimidating predator of a "hero" is a really good narrative choice. Hawks promise of helping Twice start over and redeem himself won't help, because the League don't need him to do that. They accept him for who he is, damaged psyche and sad heart included. I love Twice and I love the League of Villains, and this chapter is a good reminder of why that is.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Awesome to see the heroes not going into pointless one-on-one fights like some other mangas. Poor twice can't catch a break, but it looks like Hawks is now in big trouble
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    spoilers:
    I would say that it's Dabi who says the last few lines of the chapter. Which would be quite nice since it shows that he actually kinda cares about his fellow League members, he's always seemed a bit more aloof an not as committed as some of the jolier members). The line also fits how Dabi views hero society, so I'd definitely say it's him. And you gotta love that wicked smile of his, though I'm a bit terrified that his stiches will come undone and that'll be gross.

It is great to see both experienced heroes and hero students working compotently together. They've trained for this kind of scenario and have the surprise advantage, so it makes total sense that they're cleaning up house with the early waves of grunts that couldn't do much against six villains. It'll be interesting when the PLF big wigs enter the fray though Re-Destro alone is quite the powerhouse, especially with the amounts of instant stress he's feeling right now.

But yeah, Twice is just as fanastic as always. He's the heart of the League of Villains and in many ways he represents that there's something credible about what the League desires, even if their methods are abhorrent and they're planning on taking it too the violent extreme. Casting him as the good guy to Hawks intimidating predator of a "hero" is a really good narrative choice. Hawks promise of helping Twice start over and redeem himself won't help, because the League don't need him to do that. They accept him for who he is, damaged psyche and sad heart included. I love Twice and I love the League of Villains, and this chapter is a good reminder of why that is.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    From the sound of things, it does seem like it was supposed to be Dabi saying it, though I'm still seeing it being debated amongst people. That was why I initially wasn't sure, since he's always seemed like someone more invested in the "idea" of the League rather than having a specific attachment to any of the members, so getting anything that hints towards him actually caring about the others is welcomed.

It does make sense to see them very easily take out these swarms of nameless grunts, but it does make things really interesting for once we eventually get to the named villains. Since we know they're obviously gonna be much more of a threat, and in terms of characters who matter the heroes do far outnumber the villains, so wonder how they'll be handling things. Just like how the Nomu are the primary threat for the Hospital team, feels like Gigantomachia will probably end up being the Hideout team's big problem to deal with. And then also the big question of how exactly the three teams will all eventually converge onto each other, considering how far apart they currently are.

Yeah, that's what I love most about Twice's dilemma and situation. He's tried to find people who actually cared for him, nobody did, leading him to have to rely on caring for himself. He does finally find people who care and respect him for who he is, so of course he's gonna take their side, and not the side trying to appeal to him long after the fact, while also changing him. It's the same with Toga, she's someone that needed delicate care and help growing up, but instead everyone forced her into repressing herself, leading to the damaged psyche to break out allowing her true self to form. It's this sense of humanity that always make the League stand out as much great antagonists and characters.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    From the sound of things, it does seem like it was supposed to be Dabi saying it, though I'm still seeing it being debated amongst people. That was why I initially wasn't sure, since he's always seemed like someone more invested in the "idea" of the League rather than having a specific attachment to any of the members, so getting anything that hints towards him actually caring about the others is welcomed.

It does make sense to see them very easily take out these swarms of nameless grunts, but it does make things really interesting for once we eventually get to the named villains. Since we know they're obviously gonna be much more of a threat, and in terms of characters who matter the heroes do far outnumber the villains, so wonder how they'll be handling things. Just like how the Nomu are the primary threat for the Hospital team, feels like Gigantomachia will probably end up being the Hideout team's big problem to deal with. And then also the big question of how exactly the three teams will all eventually converge onto each other, considering how far apart they currently are.

Yeah, that's what I love most about Twice's dilemma and situation. He's tried to find people who actually cared for him, nobody did, leading him to have to rely on caring for himself. He does finally find people who care and respect him for who he is, so of course he's gonna take their side, and not the side trying to appeal to him long after the fact, while also changing him. It's the same with Toga, she's someone that needed delicate care and help growing up, but instead everyone forced her into repressing herself, leading to the damaged psyche to break out allowing her true self to form. It's this sense of humanity that always make the League stand out as much great antagonists and characters.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    One of my reasons for thinking it's Dabi is that the thought is very much in line with his point of view. While Hawks has an unconventional attitude and disposition in general, he does genuinely seem to have heroes in high regard, even someone like Endeavor. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense for him to suddenly call heroes "scummy" and similar things. And Dabi rushing in to save a comrade despite his general aloofness is such a cool idea that works best if it's his thoughts we see.

My favourite moment from the frontline is Edgeshot straight up piercing tiny holes in the lungs of his opponents. Like I know he can do that and he's got the surgical precision to do it without causing fatal injuries. But damn that is a pretty hardcore manuver.

It'll be interesting to see how Geten/Apocrypha does against a large hero group. His/her powers seem like a good tool against multiple foes, as long as there's enough ice. And Re-Destro at max stress is basically a mini Gigantomachia. But Skeptic might be their best bet here with his puppet army. At least until Gigantomachia does appear.

I do wonder just how the evac-team is situated right now. If they're between the other two groups, of if it's more of triangle shape we've got here. If things start spilling out from the other two battles that might be what they have to deal with.

The twisted but genuine sense of camraderie within the League is what has elevated them in the long run as villains. And it's also been a lot of fun to see them grow as a group and individuals sorta parallel to the heroes. Their plights and issues with the current society are understandable and kinda relatable. They are absolutely heinous villains, but you can't help can wonder if maybe they're onto something when they want to burn down everything since it did in fact lead to the suffering that created all of them. I just love the League of Villains.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    One of my reasons for thinking it's Dabi is that the thought is very much in line with his point of view. While Hawks has an unconventional attitude and disposition in general, he does genuinely seem to have heroes in high regard, even someone like Endeavor. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense for him to suddenly call heroes "scummy" and similar things. And Dabi rushing in to save a comrade despite his general aloofness is such a cool idea that works best if it's his thoughts we see.

My favourite moment from the frontline is Edgeshot straight up piercing tiny holes in the lungs of his opponents. Like I know he can do that and he's got the surgical precision to do it without causing fatal injuries. But damn that is a pretty hardcore manuver.

It'll be interesting to see how Geten/Apocrypha does against a large hero group. His/her powers seem like a good tool against multiple foes, as long as there's enough ice. And Re-Destro at max stress is basically a mini Gigantomachia. But Skeptic might be their best bet here with his puppet army. At least until Gigantomachia does appear.

I do wonder just how the evac-team is situated right now. If they're between the other two groups, of if it's more of triangle shape we've got here. If things start spilling out from the other two battles that might be what they have to deal with.

The twisted but genuine sense of camraderie within the League is what has elevated them in the long run as villains. And it's also been a lot of fun to see them grow as a group and individuals sorta parallel to the heroes. Their plights and issues with the current society are understandable and kinda relatable. They are absolutely heinous villains, but you can't help can wonder if maybe they're onto something when they want to burn down everything since it did in fact lead to the suffering that created all of them. I just love the League of Villains.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think what Hawks has an issue with is less the individual heroes themselves, and moreso some elements of hero society itself. That it's functioned in such a way that not everyone can succeed in the right ways, or how it follows some outdated codes, like how he was mocking the Billboard charts. I think, even if he's not saying that line, he does recognize their world makes it hard for some people to thrive and recover, like what happened with Twice.

It reminds me similarly of a scene in Vigilantes, where they're at a Rehabilitation clinic for essentially "junkies", and then there's Endeavor there who just wants to throw them in jail because he believes it's not worth it. When you get used to classifying everything as "hero" and "villain", those "gray" people that need the most help end up being forced to swing to one of the extremes.

The evacuation team with Midoryia and the crew is definitively gonna be the last group we pop in to see, since they're effectively the "least important" so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if when we finally do see them, it involves having to connect to one of the two others teams, maybe the Hospital team requests emergency backup, or one of the Nomu end up escaping?

I also really like how the League Of Villains stand in contrast to All For One's initial goals. His plan was for a world where he controlled all, however once All Might came into play and made that impossible, there was nowhere else to go, all he had was a goal not an idea. Then comes Shigaraki and the League of Villains, who, at least after some time of figuring out, realize their goal AND ideal to "destroy/liberate everything", so in turn have a much clearer path paved towards success. It's basically what Re-Destro's "arc" (so to speak) in the LoV arc is, realizing that a symbol, like Destro or himself, ultimately isn't as strong as an ideal, and it's how someone expresses that ideal is what makes it stand out (see also Stain).

I think that's kind of where we're eventually gonna end up with Midoryia and all the other kids by the series' conclusion. About not finding a new "Symbol of Peace" but a new "Idea of Heroism" to carry them all.
    end of spoilers

Where are you guys reading this? I'm in the States and it doesn't look like volume 24 is gonna arrive until June, according to Amazon. Is there an English translation I can find sooner?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Where are you guys reading this? I'm in the States and it doesn't look like volume 24 is gonna arrive until June, according to Amazon. Is there an English translation I can find sooner?
    Viz has the three most recent chapters free to read for anyone, and updates new chapters every (nearly) Sunday. The rest of the series is available by subscribing to Shonen Jump, $2 a month, honestly a pretty fantastic deal.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapt...-hero-academia

(there's also sites that post fan translated versions of the chapters a few days before the officials if you're impatient like I am sometimes )

Oh nice, thanks!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

This is cool. This weeks episode covered the emotional finale of the season with the aftermath of Deku's fight with Gentle, class 1A's concert and saving Eri's soul.

The concert itself is really nicely done and has a catchy song. They've cut out a lot of thought bubbles and comments from the crowd that were in the manga so as to not cut into the song too much. But there are still some important parts left in.

So to make sure that everybody could enjoy the song in its entirety, Toho animation have released a music video with it.

It's just really nice. What a great heartfelt episode before we finish off with the top ten hero chart.

This is cool. This weeks episode covered the emotional finale of the season with the aftermath of Deku's fight with Gentle, class 1A's concert and saving Eri's soul.

The concert itself is really nicely done and has a catchy song. They've cut out a lot of thought bubbles and comments from the crowd that were in the manga so as to not cut into the song too much. But there are still some important parts left in.

So to make sure that everybody could enjoy the song in its entirety, Toho animation have released a music video with it.

It's just really nice. What a great heartfelt episode before we finish off with the top ten hero chart.
    Yeah it's really great they put all this attention to this part because of how nice and satisfying it is (ERIIIIIIII!) And Jiro's singing is again wonderful. I almost wish we could've gotten just one full "filler" episode of the characters doing other stuff at the Cultural Festival.

What I'm super curious about now is, since we have 2 episodes left, where is the season gonna leave off? The only thing I can really think of right now is ending RIGHT before Endeavor's fight with Hood, to close off on a cliffhanger. Which would be really ballsy to go out on.

Also! New chapter still making me really anxious of what's to come!

spoilers:
    Tokoyami gets a bit of time to shine as he, Fat Gum, and Tamaki head into the PLF mansion. There's also a little confirmation that Suneater will become FG's Sidekick following his graduation, which is nice to know. "Super Dark Shadow" versus "Stressed Re-Destro" is something I didn't expect to see, but that was really exciting to get a hint at that, he's not gonna sit around and will jump right into the fight. We also get some information regarding Gigantomachia, that he's remaining completely silent until he gets orders from his master, so (thankfully for the heroes) he's out of the fight until Shiggy wakes up. Fat Gum also tells Tokoyami about Hawks' infiltration, with him wanting to be able to see Hawks again to show how much he's grown.

Twice continues his plight fighting back, with Hawks very easily taking down each of the clones. Realizing he won't stop resisting, he pins Twice down ready to straight up kill him (for a second I actually thought he did in kill him and got super nervous!) And before he can, Dabi shows up to the rescue, burning the distracted Hawks and proceeding to pin down and insult him. Fingers crossed for a big battle between the two of them next (and maybe possibly some more Dabi past hints while they're at it too please? : p)
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    A very short feeling chapter but still a good one. Tokoyami and Black Shadow get a chance to go all out and Poor Twice. Dabi's appearance wil make things very interesting
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Yeah it's really great they put all this attention to this part because of how nice and satisfying it is (ERIIIIIIII!) And Jiro's singing is again wonderful. I almost wish we could've gotten just one full "filler" episode of the characters doing other stuff at the Cultural Festival.

What I'm super curious about now is, since we have 2 episodes left, where is the season gonna leave off? The only thing I can really think of right now is ending RIGHT before Endeavor's fight with Hood, to close off on a cliffhanger. Which would be really ballsy to go out on.
    It will be interesting to see what the final episode ends up being. Because I can't imagine them drawing out the top ten chart bit over the two final episodes, that would be real bad pacing. And ending it on a cliffhanger would be bold as all hell. But I'm not sure I'd want that, and I don't know how well it would work pacing wise. I might actually enjoy a filler episode where we get to see how the journalist dude from the first episode of the season is doing with his book. Maybe gets some hints for things to come next season disguised as other leads he's following. I'm curious and I generally trust the anime team to make something exciting that has the viewers hooked for the next season.
    Also! New chapter still making me really anxious of what's to come!

spoilers:
    Tokoyami gets a bit of time to shine as he, Fat Gum, and Tamaki head into the PLF mansion. There's also a little confirmation that Suneater will become FG's Sidekick following his graduation, which is nice to know. "Super Dark Shadow" versus "Stressed Re-Destro" is something I didn't expect to see, but that was really exciting to get a hint at that, he's not gonna sit around and will jump right into the fight. We also get some information regarding Gigantomachia, that he's remaining completely silent until he gets orders from his master, so (thankfully for the heroes) he's out of the fight until Shiggy wakes up. Fat Gum also tells Tokoyami about Hawks' infiltration, with him wanting to be able to see Hawks again to show how much he's grown.

Twice continues his plight fighting back, with Hawks very easily taking down each of the clones. Realizing he won't stop resisting, he pins Twice down ready to straight up kill him (for a second I actually thought he did in kill him and got super nervous!) And before he can, Dabi shows up to the rescue, burning the distracted Hawks and proceeding to pin down and insult him. Fingers crossed for a big battle between the two of them next (and maybe possibly some more Dabi past hints while they're at it too please? : p)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Dark Shadow vs. Re-Destro was quite the epic visual, helped by how unexpected it was. Cudos to Tokoyami for being able to control Dark Shadow at that size, he's quickly becoming a powerhouse in his own right. I also like that we didn't get a clear winner since Re-Destro mainly lost becuase his legs couldn't withstand the pressure, he's gonna need some sturdy upgrades quick if he wants to make an impact in this fight.

Suneater and Fat Gum never failed to entertain, with FG once again showing what cool big bro he is to the students and Suneater showing a fun new form (bull-centaur with tentacle hands that end in weaponized pineapples, Horikoshi can sometime match the insanity and creativity of Eiichiro Oda himself). And they naturally have great interactions.

I wonder if the Doctor could still activate Gigantomachia. He probably has a recording with Shigaraki's voice just in case of an emergency. But he's a bit pre-occupied right now. The second he gets a window though I'm sure he'll unleash Gigantomachia on this raid.

I makes sense that Hawks was able to take down Twice. His prodgical speed, skill, training and versetile quirk worked great against Twice's raw but unfocused numbers. Twice breaking down and fearing rejection from his friends while Hawks' unyeilding form looms over him is one of the most intense scenes so far in the series, and I was so invested that I once again cried out when Dabi entered the scene. Now, the only reason Hawks isn't a charred twitching shell of a man after that hit is because of plot, let's be honest about that. That aside, I don't see how he's getting out of this, if he can get away from Dabi's boot we've got a fight because I'm expecting Dabi to send Twice out to help on the frontline where his quirk can be the most effective. The intensity ramps up with each chapter and I am really enjoying how this is all going down so far.

And I still love the idea of aloof bad boy Dabi rushing in to save Twice the tragic clown because he actually cares for him and their friends. I'm all like "Go Dabi, protect your found family! ...and tell us who you are please!"
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    A very short feeling chapter but still a good one. Tokoyami and Black Shadow get a chance to go all out and Poor Twice. Dabi's appearance wil make things very interesting
    end of spoilers
    While the chapter is short it did pack quite a bit of information.

Shifting between new rapid developments on the frontline and the very intense situation right behind it has proven to be a great narrative choice.