View Poll Results: Are the X-Men right or wrong to act this way toward humanity?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

77 54.23%
  • Wrong

19 13.38%
  • Both

11 7.75%
  • Neither-it's complicated

35 24.65%
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default The recent behavior of the X-Men: right or wrong?

All right, so we have dealing with the whole Dawn of X for a while now. The X-Men have decided to no longer take crap from anyone, make their own country on Krakoa, and basically put themselves first at the expense of their relationship with everyone else. On the one hand, this makes sense; they have been on the brink of extermination for so long at the hands of humanity and others that they need to take care of themselves. Also, who wouldn't get fed up? However, they are supposed to be heroes, and they aren't acting very heroic at the moment. Also, they seemed to have given up on the dream of coexistence/

Are they right to behave this way, or are they wrong?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    All right, so we have dealing with the whole Dawn of X for a while now. The X-Men have decided to no longer take crap from anyone, make their own country on Krakoa, and basically put themselves first at the expense of their relationship with everyone else. On the one hand, this makes sense; they have been on the brink of extermination for so long at the hands of humanity and others that they need to take care of themselves. Also, who wouldn't get fed up? However, they are supposed to be heroes, and they aren't acting very heroic at the moment. Also, they seemed to have given up on the dream of coexistence/

Not wrong as far as nation building is concerned; it is generally accepted that a country should put the well-being of the people who live there first. However, this shouldn't take the form of bigoted or hateful ideologies, perpetuated on a broad-strokes level, for, example, as is seen from characters such as Apocalypse, Sinister, Shaw and, to some extent, Emma and Magneto (to varying degrees.)

Fighting said hateful ideologies and bigotry: awesome.

Perpetuating it: not so much.

But then, that's an over-simplified view of the impression that one reader is getting from the over-all approach and doesn't address some more of the more minor issues between:

What does separating the species actually mean?

Some users argue that co-existence is still happening, but on a global level, which equates to the original dream being realised in a much bigger, more effective. I don't necessarily agree. For example: I live in the UK, a country which also deals with masses of other countries on an equal global level--politically the UK (used to) peacefully co-exist with our neighbours. On a more personal level, however, that was and still isn't true. I know people who have both never left the country and some who have never known anyone outside of their own ethnicity, race, religion, ect. As such, there tends to be a lot of stereotyping and even bigotry of these 'other' types of people.

Though I don't blame the X-Men for needing a safer place with which to establish their position, I don't think that just opting to only focus on their own space long term is going to be helpful. Sure, mutants are free to travel between countries, but will they truly ever be welcome there, even just for a day visit? Things are still so bad that mutants are being ousted from their homes that they originally wanted to stay in (Excalibur) or just were unable to leave (New Mutants) so unless those attitudes continue to be challenged...well, it's not going to solve a single thing. If anything, it's just going to lead to more stagnation and just as much discrimination.

Additionally, it raises more worrying questions: What happens if a human is born on Krakoa? Are they ever truly accepted or will parents be 'ashamed' of their sapien child? Will they feel the need to abandon said child as they may have been abandoned by their own families? What of mutants who don't want to live on Krakoa but feel they have to, who feel 'trapped' in a way? Mutants who have close ties to their families and don't want to be separated to such an extent, ect?

I think it's both limiting and short-sighted not to address these issues so...for now, I'm going to vote 'wrong.'

Do we need a variation of the same thread every day?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    You're very welcome to start your own threads about things?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I just wish some of these posters cared when the shoes were on the other foot. When mutants had a boot on their neck the word was mum but now all these people with 100 posts or 50 are burning the midnight oil with different variations of the same thing because omg the oppressed are fighting back and not even really actively fighting anything. For all the rhetoric I must be missing where krakoa has actually attacked people other than in self defense to save mutant children being tortured. It's like I'm as unbothered by the new status quo as Gale was about r kelly and some of these posters we're about where the human compassion is.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just wish some of these posters cared when the shoes were on the other foot. When mutants had a boot on their neck the word was mum but now all these people with 100 posts or 50 are burning the midnight oil with different variations of the same thing because omg the oppressed are fighting back and not even really actively fighting anything. For all the rhetoric I must be missing where krakoa has actually attacked people other than in self defense to save mutant children being tortured. It's like I'm as unbothered by the new status quo as Gale was about r kelly and some of these posters we're about where the human compassion is.
    Yeah, it’s interesting how upsetting it is to people when the oppressed minority decides not to sit there and take it anymore and how words like “unheroic” get thrown around.

They’re right.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

In X-Force, Wolverine, Kid Omega, and Domino attempted to save the human scientists that were working with Krakoa. How isn't that heroic? And how has anything the X-Men done negatively impacted the rest of the world?

They're right...and entertaining as hell already LMAO.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

They are right. And it's about damn time.

They are right. About time they stopped bending over and just taking it from the humans. It's not fun when the rabbit's got the gun Elmer.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

The X-Men were such unrepentant, bootlicking masochists that 90s heartthrobs gained godlike powers to show them how fucked everything was. And it apparently worked.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

All right, so we have dealing with the whole Dawn of X for a while now. The X-Men have decided to no longer take crap from anyone, make their own country on Krakoa, and basically put themselves first at the expense of their relationship with everyone else. On the one hand, this makes sense; they have been on the brink of extermination for so long at the hands of humanity and others that they need to take care of themselves. Also, who wouldn't get fed up?

However, they are supposed to be heroes, and they aren't acting very heroic at the moment.
    What are they doing thats not very heroic?
    Marauders? Where they are very clearly rescuing innocent people.
    X-Force? Where they are dealing with human terrorists striking at Xavier, Krakoa and the human business that works alongside the mutants? (Which is also a strike at Krakoa)
    X-Men? Where they rescued mutant children kidnapped and being experimented upon by human supremacist scientists? Where they were attacked by geriatric super scientists stealing Krakoan flowers? Where they prevented yet another human assassination attempt on Krakoa's highest leadership.
    Excalibur? Where they tried to assess a problem in otherworld, help Rogue, connect with the UK government and protect British citizens from monster attacks?
    Fallen Angels? Where they are dealing with a monster that has weaponized and killed kids?

Also, they seemed to have given up on the dream of coexistence/
    Source? coexistence at the national level is still coexistence. They also have a network of gates that allow near instant access all over the world, there are various businesses set up to work with Krakoa and distribute Krakoan drugs, the hellfire trading company both overt (White) and covert (Black) sections, international embassies, engagement in the UN and various international forums like Davos, it looks to me like you see far more engagement than you ever saw while they were holed up in a mansion in upstate New York. The Krakoan drugs themselves are explicitly a way of buying human acceptance for mutants.

They are right
    Last edited by Kisinith; 01-05-2020 at 01:28 PM.

They're right, and even if things start to go left it makes the X-Men so much more interesting.

I am here for Xavier not trying to be the model minority anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

The X-Men were such unrepentant, bootlicking masochists that 90s heartthrobs gained godlike powers to show them how fucked everything was. And it apparently worked.
    yeah, Nate grey, totally sane guy here. lets brainwash everyone and arrest anyone who falls in love or tries to have children. thats the dream.