View Poll Results: Are the X-Men right or wrong to act this way toward humanity?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

77 54.23%
  • Wrong

19 13.38%
  • Both

11 7.75%
  • Neither-it's complicated

35 24.65%
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Less of a myth now and more of a LIE that needs to be stopped being implemented in all narratives in fiction, because such a LIE is harmful to the development of people especially children.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Runarc View Post
    Addicting the entire population of Earth to their own, weekly mandated, drugs that are (from Mag's mouth) build for pure selfish profit. Running the black-market on said drugs, selling the genetic data of mutants to Sinister, working with and providing dimplomatic immunity to mass-murderers because they are mutants, etc.
    The drugs are an interesting sub-plot. They are being grown from Krakoa, a parasitic entity that survives by devouring the life-force of others, who has it's own agenda. They certainly aren't FDA-approved, and could have god knows what sort of long-term side-effects (since it's impossible to test for long-term side-effects without *many years* to do so) and are being smuggled into the countries that have banned them.

If the drugs cause more mutants to be born to those that take them, causing those taking them to involuntarily fulfill the 'make more mutants' mandate?

If the drugs are part of some long-term Krakoan plot to seed itself all over the world, and allow it to draw life-energy from the billions of people taking them? ("I'll help you survive this short term ailment, but I'm skimming 20% off the end of your life...")

All sorts of funkiness could ensue. It's gonna end. The Marvel Universe is not going to remain disease-free thanks to Krakoan drugs forever, that's for certain. The only question is *how* it's going to end.

That's going to be the ultimate decider of whether they were 'right' or 'wrong,' is how the writers choose to wrap this up.

I'm going to make this short: I agree with most of what the mutant race are doing to survive, but I don't see them as heroes in the strictest sense of the word, anymore. They are a country now and they are doing what all countries do: look out for their own interests. And the best way to look out for number 1 is to make money. And without any natural resources to exploit to the mass, such as fossil fuels, minerals, agricultural products that most people are familiar with, they have to use pharmaceuticals. And we all know people (especially Americans) love their drugs. And why would they use drugs that needs to be continually taken, so they can make the most money off that need. That's why I don't think there will ever be a "cure" for AIDS or diabetes or the common cold. Where's the profit in that? I bet most pharmaceutical companies wished that polio wasn't cured.

So, is it right: absolutely not. Is it the most feasible way for a fledgling country to have national stability in the world market: absolutely.

Now don't get me wrong. Most of the X-Men, and I don't think of *A*, Mr. Sinister, Shaw, etc. are X-Men, will act heroically when the time calls. They are just not fighting the "evil" mutant threat anymore. But if there's the routine alien attack (Kree/Skrull invasion) they will protect humans as well as mutants lives. As for the other super heroics they used to do... well since they don't live in the US anymore, they probably won't deal with internal attacks on the US, leaving it up to the Squadron Supreme (whom are puppets of the devil), the Champions (who are now the new outlaws) and the Avengers (who's having trouble dealing with international politics of their own).

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The drugs are not "addicting" the population of earth". That's absolutely wrong, spreading an egregiously false and baseless narrative.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-06-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The drugs are an interesting sub-plot. They are being grown from Krakoa, a parasitic entity that survives by devouring the life-force of others, who has it's own agenda. They certainly aren't FDA-approved, and could have god knows what sort of long-term side-effects (since it's impossible to test for long-term side-effects without *many years* to do so) and are being smuggled into the countries that have banned them.

If the drugs cause more mutants to be born to those that take them, causing those taking them to involuntarily fulfill the 'make more mutants' mandate?

If the drugs are part of some long-term Krakoan plot to seed itself all over the world, and allow it to draw life-energy from the billions of people taking them? ("I'll help you survive this short term ailment, but I'm skimming 20% off the end of your life...")

All sorts of funkiness could ensue. It's gonna end. The Marvel Universe is not going to remain disease-free thanks to Krakoan drugs forever, that's for certain. The only question is *how* it's going to end.

That's going to be the ultimate decider of whether they were 'right' or 'wrong,' is how the writers choose to wrap this up.
    I still think the drugs are designed to force a mutant population boom, to be honest. Easiest solution, right?

BANNED

If dunking on flatscans and having wild orgies is wrong, why would you want to be right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    If dunking on flatscans and having wild orgies is wrong, why would you want to be right?
    X-Men gotta keep shining those boots and saying yes sir until they're dead.

That's the only thing that's right.

To what extent are real world minority concerns and feelings driving some of you to agree wholeheartedly with Krakoa? It's a full on minority power fantasy now: having power over your oppressors and treating your difference as superiority. A lot of us here are from marginalized communities, whether racial or gender or sexual preference, but is rallying behind Krakoa and its tactics wholeheartedly a good way to explore and celebrate the marginalized having power in fiction? I unfortunately see that as becoming the bully and adopting the bully's tactics. There must be a better way. I see the favourable and the questionable sides of what the mutants are doing but to see some posters wholeheartedly supporting them and engaging in non-mutant derogatory slang/slurs and thinking is disheartening to say the least. I swear I've seen some portions of this forum get X-radicalized since Dawn of X began, and I can't tell if that's just going along with a joke or the sign of base humanity acting out the minute it gets a bit of power/control.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    To what extent are real world minority concerns and feelings driving some of you to agree wholeheartedly with Krakoa? It's a full on minority power fantasy now: having power over your oppressors and treating your difference as superiority. A lot of us here are from marginalized communities, whether racial or gender or sexual preference, but is rallying behind Krakoa and its tactics wholeheartedly a good way to explore and celebrate the marginalized having power in fiction? I unfortunately see that as becoming the bully and adopting the bully's tactics. There must be a better way. I see the favourable and the questionable sides of what the mutants are doing but to see some posters wholeheartedly supporting them and engaging in non-mutant derogatory slang/slurs and thinking is disheartening to say the least. I swear I've seen some portions of this forum get X-radicalized since Dawn of X began, and I can't tell if that's just going along with a joke or the sign of base humanity acting out the minute it gets a bit of power/control.
    I'd like to chip in and add disability and neuro-diversity to that list.

But I do agree; I don't think the eye for an eye tactic is particularly helpful, not when it's aimed so indiscriminately at entire groups of people. You should see some of the commentary I've seen on reddit in my own community, in regards to Neurotypicals? People there lash out out of spite and hurt to those who have hurt them, calling for violence...and it's horrible to see. It's unhelpful and hypocritical and, thankfully, we have those who call it out as we see it.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Personally, I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with KraKoa for the absolute newness and joy and entertainment it's bringing me.
    I am fully aware that this does not in anyway significantly impact nor relate to anything In Real World (except perhaps in the most superficial ways) and I can allow myself to fall deeply into the fictional narrative.
    Actually, now that I think on it, it's quite similar to how I felt when I picked up my very first X-Men way back in the day. And I haven't felt that way about any X-books in a very long time.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Personally, I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with KraKoa for the absolute newness and joy and entertainment it's bringing me.
    I am fully aware that this does not in anyway significantly impact nor relate to anything In Real World (except perhaps in the most superficial ways) and I can allow myself to fall deeply into the fictional narrative.
    Actually, now that I think on it, it's quite similar to how I felt when I picked up my very first X-Men way back in the day. And I haven't felt that way about any X-books in a very long time.
    I agree, I love everything about Dawn of X and I am looking forward to the future. Friendship with the Fantastic Four, Friendship with Wakanda, the mutants aren't evil they are just doing everything in their power to protect and defend their people from the forces of oppression and genocide, the forces that still exist in the world and are still perpetuating their genocide upon mutants.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Friendship with the Fantastic Four,
    I'm still not seeing much of the friendship you spoke of; if anything Scott's last interaction with them ended on ominous, if not outright antagonistic terms and the upcoming XM/FF cross over doesn't look like it's going to be particularly friendly. Seems like a good way to further distance mutants from humanity in all but politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I'm still not seeing much of the friendship you spoke of; if anything Scott's last interaction with them ended on ominous, if not outright antagonistic terms and the upcoming XM/FF cross over doesn't look like it's going to be particularly friendly. Seems like a good way to further distance mutants from humanity in all but politics.
    The X-Men and FF have been friends for years. What on Earth are you talking about?

Do you really think one interaction that you're looking way too deep into is gonna change the countless years of commraderie and friendship shared between the two groups?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    The X-Men and FF have been friends for years. What on Earth are you talking about?

Do you really think one interaction that you're looking way too deep into is gonna change the countless years of commraderie and friendship shared between the two groups?
    Scott's comment about Franklin and how his 'family' (as he himself emphasised as he left) didn't strike you as the start of a distance being put between them?

And honestly, yes. I do. Considering how easily Hickman's had everyone go along with things as of now, I wouldn't be remotely surprised. They act according to how he see's fit regardless past characterisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Scott's comment about Franklin and how his 'family' (as he himself emphasised as he left) didn't strike you as the start of a distance being put between them?

And honestly, yes. I do. Considering how easily Hickman's had everyone go along with things as of now, I wouldn't be remotely surprised. They act according to how he see's fit regardless past characterisation.
    Then you don't know Hickman. He's a continuity nutjob.

But I'm convinced already that you'll see most of everything concerning Krakoa as negative so meh.